Last Updated on
What Mass Communication course is all about, the objectives, course outlines and career opportunities…
It is not enough to know the required subject combination in O level or A level – Admission requirement to study Mass Communications – That’s the mistake most students make… You ought to know what Mass Communications course is all about and this is the main purpose for this page
A Degree in Mass Communications is an interdisciplinary course of study and opens up doors to a spectrum of careers, from advertising and broadcasting to public relations and publishing. Students majoring in mass communication are usually interested in careers in journalism, broadcasting, digital communication, or media management and sales.
Mass communication differs from the studies of other forms of communication, such as interpersonal communication or organizational communication, in that it focuses on a single source transmitting information to a large number of receivers. The unique converged curriculum consists of a range of core classes focused on cross-media journalistic and technology skills, research and communication skills, and knowledge of concepts, ethics, laws and history of mass communication.
Mass Communication is the art or the technique of gathering, processing and disseminating of news and information for the good of the society and how it affects the behaviour, attitude, opinion, or emotion of the person or people receiving the information.
Mass Communication seeks to have a general understanding of the society and therefore endeavours to monitor and report the activities of government institutions, social and political development. It is usually understood to relate newspaper, magazine, and book publishing, as well as radio, television and film, even via the internet as these mediums are used for disseminating information, news and advertising.
Objectives of Mass Communication include the following:
- To instil in the Mass Communication students the ability to respect deadline and work under constant pressure.
- To train and encourage the Nigerian Mass communicators to be effective communicators by being able to think quickly, research creatively and write or broadcast concisely to the mass audience.
- To train graduates that would act as the trustees of public trust and that would be socially responsible to the communities they serve by being accurate, fair, balanced and objective in their reportage of societal issues.
- To produce mass communicators who will continue to protect the basic principles of the peoples’ right to know as the fourth branch of government or the fourth (4th) Estate of the Realm.
- It is expected that at the end of the degree programme in Mass Communication, the Mass Communication graduate should be able to differentiate ‘soft news’ from ‘hard news’ truth from falsehood, responsible journalism from irresponsible journalism.
Where can I work with a Degree in Mass Communication
Career opportunities include;
- Media Planner
- Audio/Video Producer
- Media Buyer
- New Media Specialist
- Public Relations Specialist
- Broadcast Manager
- Print or Online Editor
- Social Media Expert
- Motivational Speaker
Online Mass Communication degree
Do you know you can study Mass Communication online There are many universities especially in the United States and the United Kingdom offering this course online. It is of great benefit to those who wish to study and at the same time working. Or those who wish to travel abroad to study but are constrained. Distance learning is great – go for it!
Admission requirements to study Mass Communication – Nigerians only!
- Polytechnic: Admission Requirement for Mass Communication
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Mass Communication – Under Art
- Study Mass Communication and Media Technology
- WAEC, JAMB UTME Subject for Mass Communication – Under Social Science
- WAEC, JAMB UTME Subject for Mass Communication – Under Administration
If you have more contribution to this course or contrary opinion, please use the comment… don’t forget to recommend us on facebook
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- What is Public Administration all about?
- What Business Administration is all about?
- What is Business Management all about?