Wells Mountain Initiative was founded with the idea that we could have an important role to play in helping young people in the developing world by levelling the global playing field for education, opportunity and justice. Wells Mountain Initiative first efforts were aimed at scholarships. From the beginning, they also focused on community service and encouraged scholars to “give back”.
Fourteen WMI Fellowships have been established in Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe!
Applications from qualified applicants will be accepted until March 1, 2021. Before applying, we strongly encourage you to read the WMI Scholar Program Information Sheet and also the Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Scholars document. These two documents will assist you in determining your eligibility and guide you in the application process.
The following are the required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Essay (topic is stated on the application form)
- 2021 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret secondary school grades**
- Official transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret tertiary grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam
- Recommendation letters vary throughout cultures. We have created Guidelines for Effective Application-Recommendation Letters to assist applicants in seeking letters that will be supportive of their application. Read this document and share it with the individuals who will be writing your letters of support.
- Official grading keys must be provided by the school issuing the grades or the government issuing the national exam. Grading keys that are not official will result in your application being disqualified. Contact your secondary school, university, or government for this document.
How to Apply
If you qualify, now is the time to apply for this exciting opportunity! Since 2005, we have supported more than 418 students worldwide. Please note that in recent years, we have only been able to select approximately 5% of applicants to become a part of this program.
The number we select is based solely upon limited funding, as nearly all applicants are extremely deserving. As our organization grows, so will the number of WMI Scholars we can accept each year. We encourage you to apply AND to continue searching for additional ways to finance your education.
There are two ways to apply: Online, or by mailing in a completed application packet to our office.
APPLYING ONLINE: You will be redirected to a portal where you will be asked to create a free account (username and password), fill out the information and upload documents. We strongly suggest that you apply online as it will provide you with the opportunity to save your work and return multiple times. You will also guarantee that your application, once submitted online, will be received and reviewed.
File format types accepted are JPG, PNG, GIF, DOC, DOCX, PDF (version 10 or newer).
- December 1, 2020 – The 2021 WMI Scholars Program application will be available on our website. Completed 2021 applications will start to be accepted on this date.
- March 1, 2021 – The 2021 WMI Scholars Program application deadline.
For more information and where to apply, check here