Last updated on April 5, 2021 by The Counselor
How profitable is a Cyber Security course in Nigeria, and what advice will be given to anyone that wishes to build his or her career in Cyber Security? Yes!!! The advice I will give to any student that wishes to study Cyber Security is just a “go ahead encouragement ”.
Nigerian students don’t really know much about Cyber Security Course which will suddenly be a hot cake in the future. The negligence of this course is due to the fact that many Nigerians are yet to know much about the high level of internet usage that is suddenly taking over the world.
Cybersecurity course in Nigeria is a very profitable course and for a fact, people all over the world are striving to study more about this course and to become outstanding in cybersecurity. This course has a higher level of Job and employment opportunities.
Without wasting more time, I will love to clear you on the actual meaning of cybersecurity and what the course is all about. But those that know what cybersecurity is all about and doesn’t want to spend time reading this introduction can skip to the next step below.
What is Cyber Security Course All About?
Cyber Security which is sometimes referred to information technology or computer security is a course that teaches on the major ways of protecting computer systems and networks from thefts, hacking and damages of data, information, software, electronic data and hardware which is usually done by disruption or misdirection of their service providers.
You can simply put it, Cybersecurity is the process of protecting devices, programs, and networks from any form of a cyber attack.
These are the list of Universities that offer Cyber Security Course in Nigeria.
- Federal University of Technology Minna (FUTMINNA)
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- The Technical University, Ibadan (TECH-U)
- Admiralty University of Nigeria (ADUN)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Elizade University Ilara Mokin
- Greenfield University
Other places you can study cybersecurity in Nigeria is via online schools. Many online schools like the ones listed below, offer cybersecurity programs and training. The goodness is that Some of the online schools listed below are totally free while some are to be paid for:
Online Cyber Security Schools and Courses (FREE and PAID)
- Udemy (PAI): is a Huge Teaching and learning platform with a wide range of courses.
At Udemy, you will benefit:
- Intensive Cyber Security learning opportunities
- In-depth training on Cyber Security courses
- Note: There will be No accreditation.
- Cybersecurity Law
- Cyber Security Crash Course.
- Data Science Course
All courses cost as low as $20. sign up for Udemy here
- Open University (PAID): The UK’s Open University (OU) is a well-known university in Uk. You can study cybersecurity at the comfort of your home without having to travel to the United Kingdom through the UK’s Open University online Cyber Security Course, and still get accredited.
UK’s Open University Online Course Benefits
- Accredited qualification
- Range of IT qualification
- Sound and enabling Online learning platform
- No cybersecurity specialism. sign up to the Open University here.
- Future Learn (FREE and PAID): Future Learn offers a range of short online Cybersecurity courses (some courses are free)
Future Learn Online Course Benefits:
- Many course options
- Standard Course presentation
- Accredited degrees
Note: There are limited accredited courses on Future Learn
Future Learn is accredited by the United Kingdom Government intelligence organization, APMG International, and by the Institute of Information Security Professionals. sign up for Future Learn here
- Coursera (PAID): This is another best Another short-course distance learning platform to study cybersecurity course in Nigeria.
Course Features on Coursera:
- Range of available online courses
- Numbers of Cybersecurity courses
- Available accredited degrees. Sign up for Coursera here
- Cybrary (FREE): Cybrary offers extensive free online cybersecurity courses.
- Range free courses
- Wide range of other online courses
- Topics are very specific
Downside: No accreditation. Sign up for Cybrary here
- US Department of Homeland Security (FREE): The US Department of Homeland Security offers a free source of cybersecurity online training to Nigerian students without them having to travel to the United States.
USDHS Online Course Benefits:
- Free Cybersecurity Courses
- Backed up by U.S Government.
- Wide range of specialisms
Downside: No accreditation. Sign up for the USDHS here
- Open Security Training (FREE): This online School is a free Open cybersecurity Course training platform.
- Free cybersecurity courses
- Multiple available subjects to surf.
Downside: No accreditation. Sign up for Open Security Training here
- Heimdal Security (FREE): Is another free online platform to study cybersecurity courses in Nigeria.
Heimdal Security Online Course benefits:
- Free cybersecurity course
- Introductory coverage
- Note: There is no accreditation. Sign up for Heimdal here
- Sans Cyber Aces Online (FREE): Sans Cyber Aces Online offers an introduction to cybersecurity online training.
Sans Cyber Aces Online Cybersecurity Training Benefits:
- Free Cybersecurity Training
- Easy to follow users interface
- Introductory lessons
Downside: The platform is limited
Where Can A Person That Study Cyber Security Work?
Cyber Security Graduates can work in any place that uses computerized systems, networks and internet access. Cybersecurity careers are needed almost everywhere like banks, cyber cafes, computerized private enterprises, government organizations, etc as long as they use computerized systems or internet network access.
The Job of cybersecurity needed in such firms is to safeguard their transactions, files, and documents, their network and also install firewalls, monitor fraudulent and Bruteforce activities, and also create security plans for them by identifying problems, attacks, and finding solutions to them as quick as possible.
Branches and careers in Cyber Security
- Security Specialist
- Incident Responder
- Security Administrator
- Vulnerability Assessor
- Security Manager
- Security Architect
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Security Analyst
- Security Auditor
- Security Director
- Forensic Expert
- Penetration Tester
- Security Consultant.
- Security Engineer
- Source Code Auditor
I am sure this guide on cybersecurity course was helpful enough to guide you to a better decision making. It is now left for you to make up your mind on which to follow. But if you still want to find out more then you can kindly drop us a comment below stating what you wish to know.