This page contains 2023 official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Actuarial Science Degree, including the list of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more
|Course||Actuarial Science Under Administration|
|Qualification||B.Sc (Hons.) and B.A. (Hons)|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Commercial and Art Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Actuarial Science related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
Is Actuarial Science Degree a good course in Nigeria?
Absolutely. Actuarial Science is one of the oldest degrees in the world with plenty of job roles you can explore. You are not limited to any specific career field. An early career of Actuaries with 1-2 years of experience earns an average of NGN225,000 in Nigeria monthly.
Actuaries are well compensated. Experienced fellows have the potential to earn from NGN15,000,000 annually, and many actuaries earn more than that. Compensation may vary significantly according to years of experience, industry, geographic region, and responsibilities
Actuarial Science is less competitive and very popular amongst commercial students in secondary school. Few Nigerian universities offer this degree course. So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Actuarial Science, we also expect you to make research on the universities below. Research on the university history (for violence, security, strike) and tuition fees.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Actuarial Science
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Actuarial Science are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Actuarial Science
- Any Nigerian Language
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects.
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Actuarial Science, don’t give up. You should consider other Actuarial Science similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Actuarial Science
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. Moreso, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 220 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Actuarial Science Degree course. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Actuarial Science are:
- Actuarial Science
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Actuarial Science
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Actuarial Science under the faculty of administration, you are expected to have two ‘A’ level passes to include English Language and Mathematics
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Actuarial Science Degree has a 75% admission rate.
Here is the list of universities offering Actuarial Science Degree in Nigeria.
- Crawford University Igbesa
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo.
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Baze University
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to setup a timetable for study
Actuarial Science Course Description
Actuarial Science applies mathematical and statistical methods to finance and insurance, particularly to risk assessment to help reach more informed decisions in those areas. Actuaries are professionals who apply mathematical models to improve financial decision-making by evaluating the financial implications of uncertain future events.
Actuarial Science provides a strong grounding in the mathematics of actuarial science and addresses both the current and future needs of the industry. The degree incorporates all mathematical techniques, in particular from the fields of probability and statistics, a modern actuary could not do without.
Actuarial Science is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Actuarial Science is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Actuarial Science is under the Faculty of Administration but may be under a different faculty in some universities. Check Actuarial Science under Social Science.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Can a science or art student study Actuarial Science?
Can science or art students study Actuarial Science at the university? By default, this course is meant for commercial students only. But the curriculum of this course allows students with art and science backgrounds to study it as long as they have the right O level subject combination for Actuarial Science.
This simply means that even though you were a science student in secondary school, you can still qualify to study this course with the right O level subject for Actuarial Science.
During WAEC or NECO registration, make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Actuarial Science is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Actuarial Science in WAEC. But note this, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some compulsory subjects instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (waiver) for Actuarial Science
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) requires credit in English Language, Mathematics, Actuarial Science, and any two of Financial Accounting, Data Processing, CRS/IRS, Further Mathematics, Geography, Government, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Commerce, Civic Education, Insurance.
- The University of Uyo accepts CRK/Accounts/Commerce as the third subject.
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) – Same as in Marketing
Further reading on Actuarial Science:
- Top Career Opportunities for Actuarial Science
- Top Courses Related to Actuarial Science
- List of Courses under Actuarial Science
- Required documents for admission to Nigeria
- How to gain admission easily to study Actuarial Science
- How to get scholarship updates to study for free.
- How to obtain a quick student loan