This page contains 2023 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Fisheries including the List of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more
|Qualification||B. Agric. (B.Sc. (Hons.) B. Tech. (Hons.) B. Agric.|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
Is Fisheries a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Fisheries is a good course in Nigeria with limited job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. The salary range for the majority of workers in Aquaculture and fisheries production managers – is from ₦40,818 to ₦190,000 per month
A Fisheries degree is competitive and very popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 16 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Fisheries, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Fisheries and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Fisheries
In WAEC, NECO or GCE, you are expected to register a maximum of 9 subjects for a Fisheries degree. You can register for less than 9 subjects if you are resitting.
However, you must have at least 5 credit passes amongst the 9 subjects listed below before you can gain admission into any Nigerian university to study for a Fisheries degree.
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before gaining admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Fisheries are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Agricultural Science
- Geography/Further Mathematics
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Fisheries, don’t give up. You should consider other Fisheries similar courses or look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read valuable guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Fisheries
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 190 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Fisheries. You can still gain admission if you score between 160-180 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Fisheries is:
- Biology/Agricultural Science
These are the list of Universities offering Fisheries in Nigeria
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- University of Uyo
Fisheries is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Fisheries is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, this course is under the Faculty of Agriculture
Can a commercial or art student study Fisheries?
No! Fisheries is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art student. But if you have required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subjects combination for Fisheries is through GCE.
Special Consideration (Waiver) for Fisheries
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) accept a pass in English Language.
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU) and Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike – Same as in Agriculture.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY) requires credit passes in Chemistry, Biology/ Agric. Science and anyone from Physics /Geography/ Economics/Fisheries.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, University of Uyo and Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU) require five ‘O’ level credit passes in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Agricultural Science
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) accepts a pass in English Language with credit pass in Mathematics. (
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki as in Landscape Technology.
- University of Benin (UNIBEN) as in Agric-Economics.
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) accepts any of Physics, Geography and Economics.
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye requires five ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Biology or Agricultural Science and any other two subjects.
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST) requires credits in English Language and Mathematics.
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) requires Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Agric. Science, Mathematics and Physics/Geography /Economics.
- Federal University of Technology, Minna accepts any one of Physics, geography, Economics, Home Economics, Food and nutrition as the fifth subject. At least a pass in Physics is required.
- Kogi State University Anyigba requires five credit passes at SSCE and/or GCE O/L in English Language, Chemistry, Biology or Agric. Science, Mathematics, Economics or any Social Science subject and a pass in Physics. A Credit in Agricultural Science must be backed up with at least a pass in Biology.
- Bowen University, Iwo requires credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Fisheries/Animal Husbandry, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and one Physics, Geography, Economics and Food and Nutrition.