O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Computer Science 2020/2021; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
|Qualification||B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech., B. Arc|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Computer Science related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
You must be a science student to study Computer Science in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), s, Special consideration (waivers) and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Computer Science Under Engineering
The subjects needed to study Computer Science – Under Engineering in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Computer Science – Under Engineering must include
These are the subject combination for Computer Science Under Faculty of Engineering:
- English Language
- Further Mathematics
- Civic Education
- Geography/Any Nigerian Language
- A trade subject
Computer Science Engineering (CSE) encompasses a variety of topics that relates to computation, like analysis of algorithms, programming languages, program design, software, and computer hardware. Computer Science engineering has roots in electrical engineering, mathematics, and linguistics. In the past Computer Science was taught as part of mathematics or engineering departments but in recent times, it has emerged as a separate engineering field.
What does a Computer Science Engineer do
- Design and develop a software application for different industries
- Manages the software, hardware & networks in any industry
- Involves in the design and development of the hardware components of PCs & laptops
- Develop software for peripheral computing devices such as printers, modems and scanners
- Writes code and algorithms for operating systems like Windows, Linux etc
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Computer Science under Engineering
Knowing JAMB subjects for Computer Science is not enough. You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just a piece of advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree.
(i) ‘A’ level passes in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
(ii) ND/HND in Computer Science Upper/Lower credit respectively
If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with this admission requirement that is the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider other Computer Science similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
These are the list of Universities offering Computer Science in Nigeria
- American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN)
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU) (with Economics)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU) (with Mathematics)
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Crawford University Igbesa
Cut-off Mark for Computer Science course
The cut-off mark for Computer Science varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Computer Science is a good course and you can also check the top best engineering courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Computer Science is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Computer Science is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Computer Science is under Faculty of Agriculture but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Computer Science?
No! Computer Science is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art student. But if you have required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subjects combination for Computer Science is through GCE
Where can I work with a Degree in Computer Science
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Computer Science – Under Engineering. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating.
- Software Developers: Software developers are professionals who are concerned with facets of the software development process which involves activities such as design and coding, computer programming, project management, etc.
- Hardware Engineers: These professionals do research, design, develop, test, and oversee the installation of computer hardware which inter alia includes computer chips, circuit boards, systems, modems, keyboards, and printers.
- System Designer: Professionals involved in system designing, Logical & Physical Designing wherein logical designing can be enumerated as the structure & characteristics such as output, input, files, database & procedures, etc.
- System Analyst: Computer engineers who work as systems analyst do research about the existing problems and plan solutions for the problem. They also recommend software and system related problems and coordinate development between business development teams.
- Networking Engineers: Networking engineers are computer professionals involved in designing, implementation, and troubleshooting of computer networks.
- DBA: DBA or Database Administrators are the professionals who are bestowed with the job to design, implement, maintain, and repair an organization’s database. Inter alia DBA professionals are also known as Database Coordinator or Database Programmer in the IT sector.
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Computer Science – Under Engineering have been listed above. Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar…