This page contains 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combinations (admission requirements) for Biochemistry, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course?||Science student|
You must be a Science student for you to be able to study Biochemistry in Nigeria Universities, and that can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to WAEC, JAMB and A-level admission requirements.
Is Biochemistry a good course in Nigeria?
Yes. Biochemistry is one of the oldest degrees in Nigeria with plenty of job roles to explore. A person working as a Biochemist in Nigeria typically earns around 659,000 NGN per month. Salaries range from 229,000 NGN (lowest) to 1,020,000 NGN (highest).
This is the average monthly salary including housing, transport, and other benefits. Biochemist salaries vary drastically based on experience, skills, gender, or location.
A biochemistry degree is competitive and this course is popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 118 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Biochemistry, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Biochemistry and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Biochemistry
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Biochemistry are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Geography/Any Nigerian Language
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Biochemistry, don’t give up. You should consider other Biochemistry similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Biochemistry
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 210 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Biochemistry. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-200 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Biochemistry are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Biochemistry
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Biochemistry, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Chemistry, Mathematics Physics and Biology. NCE/ND/HND in related field plus UTME requirement.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
These are the list of Universities offering Biochemistry in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Covenant University Ota
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Chrisland University
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Ekiti State University
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Okija
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Veritas University, Abuja,
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ekiti State University
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Ondo State University of Medical Sciences (OSUMS)
- University of Uyo
Biochemistry Course description:
It is good we take a look at the brief description Biochemistry to help you decide if this course is worth studying in Nigeria Universities. Biochemistry, sometimes called biological chemistry, is the study of chemical processes within and relating to living organisms. biochemistry has become so successful at explaining living processes that now almost all areas of the life sciences from botany to medicine to genetics are engaged in biochemical research.
Today, the main focus of pure biochemistry is on understanding how biological molecules give rise to the processes that occur within living cells, which in turn relates greatly to the study and understanding of tissues, organs, and whole organisms that is, all of biology. Biochemistry is closely related to molecular biology, the study of the molecular mechanisms by which genetic information encoded in DNA is able to result in the processes of life.
Much of biochemistry deals with the structures, functions and interactions of biological macromolecules, such as proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates and lipids, which provide the structure of cells and perform many of the functions associated with life. The chemistry of the cell also depends on the reactions of smaller molecules and ions.
These can be inorganic, for example, water and metal ions, or organic, for example, the amino acids, which are used to synthesize proteins. The mechanisms by which cells harness energy from their environment via chemical reactions are known as metabolism.
If you wish to study Biochemistry, you will be exposed to the internal workings of chemical processes in relation to biological makeup of living organisms. It involves deep study of biology and chemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry, DNA AND RNA. A strong foundation in biology, chemistry and a little bit of physics is key to making it in this department.
Where can I work with a Degree in Biochemistry
• Agribusiness Companies: Developing safer and more effective agricultural products
• Hospital Laboratories: Analyzing samples from patients to provide treatment advice
• Pharmaceutical Companies: Developing drugs and other pharmaceutical products
• University Laboratories: Researching anything from gene therapy to disease treatments
• Cosmetic Companies: Creating safer and more effective products
• Food Product Development or Regulation Companies: Ensuring the safety of food
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Biochemistry is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Biochemistry degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Biochemistry for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Biochemistry is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Biochemistry (Science) is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but maybe under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Biochemistry?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study Biochemistry at the university because it is a pure science course which need a good background in science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Biochemistry is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Biochemistry in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (Waiver) to study Biochemistry
- Federal University of Technology, Akure requires five ‘O’ Level credit passes at a maximum of two sittings, which must include: English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU) accepts Physics or Biology.
- Abia State University, Uturu requires a credit in Physics.
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) and Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli accept a pass in ‘O’ level English Language.
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike same as in Food Science and Technology
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki accepts Agric. Sci in lieu of Biology and a pass in Physics.
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU) requires the five ‘O’ level credit passes in not more than two sittings.
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)- Same as Biological Science
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU) requires five (5) credit passes must include: English
language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology at one sittings or six (6) credits at not more than two sittings
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) accepts SSCE passes in English Language and Mathematics.
- Crescent University (CUAB) accepts credit pass in Agric. Science in lieu of Biology.
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki requires credits in Mathematics or Physics
- Bells University of Technology, Otta requires five SSCE Credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology/ Geography/ Further Mathematics/ Agricultural Science.
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe requires Five ‘O’ Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology/ Agricultural Science.
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State requires five SSCE credit passes which must include Chemistry, English Language, Chemistry, Biology Mathematics and Physics.
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU) – Same as in Chemistry.
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State accepts credit pass in any other Science subject in lieu of Physics.
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) accepts credit passes in Further Mathematics and Agricultural Science.
- Renaissance University, Enugu requires credit passes at not more than two sittings.
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi – Candidates seeking admission into any of these Programmes must possess five (5) credit passes which MUST be from one examination body (i.e. either WAEC or NECO) and obtained at NOT more than two (2) sittings. The Department does not accept the combination of both WAEC and NECO. Students of the University of Agriculture, Makurdi Pre-degree Remedial Science Programme who pass their end of session examinations are considered or admission on the condition that they also pass UTME. NOTE: Agricultural Science and Health Science shall NOT be accepted in place of Biology. Further Mathematics shall NOT be accepted in place of Physics or Mathematics.
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa accepts credit pass in Technical Drawing, Agricultural Science or Geography in lieu of Physics
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU) requires five credit passes in not more than two sittings.
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa – Same as Microbiology.
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran accepts in lieu of Physics credit pass in any of the following subjects: Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Agricultural Science, Food and Nutrition.
- Sokoto State University accepts HND (lower credit) or ND (Upper credit) in Science Laboratory Technology, Food Science Technology or its equivalents.
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State accepts credit pass in Agricultural Science or Health Science in place of Biology.
Further Reading on Biochemistry