This page contains 2023 WAEC and JAMB subject combinations (admission requirements) for Computer Science and Mathematics, including the list of Nigerian universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more.
|Course||Computer Science and Mathematics|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course?||Science student|
|Number of universities||16|
Is Computer Science and Mathematics a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Computer Science and Mathematics is a good course in Nigeria with plenty of job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. Computer Science and Mathematics graduates typically earn between ₦270,000 and ₦750,000 net per month.
Computer Science and Mathematics is not competitive and quite popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 16 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Computer Science and Mathematics, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Computer Science and Mathematics and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combinations For Computer Science and Mathematics
In WAEC, NECO or GCE, you are expected to register a maximum of 9 subjects for a Computer Science and Mathematics degree. You can register for less than 9 subjects if you are resitting.
However, you must have at least 5 credit passes amongst the 9 subjects listed below before you can gain admission into any Nigerian university to study for a Computer Science and Mathematics degree.
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Computer Science and Mathematics in Nigeria are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Computer Science and Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Computer Science and Mathematics, don’t give up. You should consider other Computer Science and Mathematics similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Computer Science and Mathematics
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score and your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 200 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Computer Science and Mathematics. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Computer Science and Mathematics are:
List of Universities offering Computer Science and Mathematics in Nigeria:
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- Benue State University
- University of Port Harcourt
- National Open University
- First Technical University
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola
Cut-off Mark for Computer Science and Mathematics course
As you can see, more than one University offers Computer Science and Mathematics. This means the cut-off mark for Computer Science and Mathematics will vary. However, from aggregate, the cut off mark is 200. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher.
Computer Science and Mathematics is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study a Computer Science and Mathematics degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Computer Science and Mathematics for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Computer Science and Mathematics is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Computer Science and Mathematics is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may also be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Can a commercial or an art student study Computer Science and Mathematics?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study Computer Science and Mathematics at the university because it is a pure science course which needs a good background in science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result.
What is Computer Science and Mathematics degree all about?
This joint degree in Computer Science and Mathematics offers the opportunity to combine an appreciation of mathematical reasoning with an understanding of computing. Mathematics is a fundamental intellectual tool in computing, but computing is increasingly used as a key component in mathematical problem-solving.
The course concentrates on areas where mathematics and computing are most relevant to each other, emphasising the bridges between theory and practice.
It offers opportunities for potential computer scientists both to develop a deeper understanding of the mathematical foundations of their subject and to acquire a familiarity with the mathematics of application areas where computers can solve otherwise intractable problems.
It also gives mathematicians access to both a practical understanding of the use of computers and a deeper understanding of the limits on the use of computers in their own subject. The first year and part of the second year of the course are spent acquiring a firm grounding in the core topics from both subjects.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Special Consideration (waiver) to study Computer Science and Mathematics
- Adamawa State University (ADSU) may accept a pass in English Language.
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) as in Computer Science and Mathematics (iii) University of Benin (UNIBEN) requires ‘ O’ level Credit passes in Statistics and any other Science subjects in addition to English Language and Mathematics.
- Federal University of Technology, Minna requires credit pass in Physics
- Crescent University (CUAB) requires credit pass in Islamic Religious Knowledge in place of Chemistry for candidates wishing to study Computer Science and Mathematics with Islamic Studies.
- University of Calabar (UNICAL) accepts ‘A’ level or its equivalent in Physics and either Chemistry or Mathematics.
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi and University of Calabar (UNICAL) require five O/L credit passes in English Language, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science and Mathematics, Chemistry
I enjoyed it. Thank you for guiding me through
please what is the course description of computer science with mathematics in oau