This page contains official 2020/2021 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Accounting, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Art and Commercial Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Accounting related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Accounting. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a Commercial student or an Art student with a good background Commercial subjects for you to study Accounting in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Accounting
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Accounting in Nigeria universities. This subject combination is also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Accounting must include:
- English Language
- Any relevant subject
- A trade subject
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Accounting. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Accounting, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Accounting
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Accounting that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– English Language is compulsory. If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Accounting. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree!..
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Accounting
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Accounting, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes including Economics
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Accounting, don’t give up. You should consider other Accounting similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Accounting in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Augustine University
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Auchi Poly degree
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Bowen University, Iwo
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele
- Ogun, University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mountain Top University
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University
- Ago Iwoye, Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Renaissance University Enugu
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Accounting. Listen, I don’t encourage such but if you’re bent on knowing the best universities or top universities to study Accounting in Nigeria, Check here
Course description: Accounting course prepares a student to be professional accountants, auditors, budget analysts, tax accountants, and to provide financial management services to individuals, businesses, and/or corporations (profit and not-for-profit). In today’s diverse, global, and technologically sophisticated accounting environment, these competencies are highly sought by employers. Through this program, students gain a practical knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts, and professional practices used in today’s global accounting environment.
Students will also master the digitization of accounting data and technology that support international financial reporting. The accounting student explores the fundamentals of accounting in two introductory courses and completes a sequence of higher-level courses that cover financial accounting theory, cost accounting, auditing, advanced accounting topics, federal income tax, business law, and accounting information systems. The program is results-oriented and extends beyond theories and conceptual understanding to practical application.
Accounting course provides students with a comprehensive understanding of accounting principles and practices, combining functional skills with a larger perspective of accounting’s role in business.
- Students will apply problem-solving skills to multiple accounting situations, including those occurring in the international setting.
- Students will communicate effectively about accounting and business practices within the context of larger organizational frameworks.
- Students will access relevant accounting/financial guidance and apply it in their accounting practice.
- Students will demonstrate well-developed competency in their accounting techniques.
- Students will demonstrate collaborative skills across accounting and functional business areas.
- Students will analyse sources of organizational risk.
- Students will apply knowledge of the legal and regulatory environment in which the accounting profession operates.
- Students will apply ethical reasoning in their accounting practices.
Where can I work with a Degree in Accounting in
The typical accounting graduate enters the profession as a staff accountant in a public accounting firm, corporation, or governmental unit. Students may aspire to positions such as a senior accountant, manager, controller and comptroller etc.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Accounting course
As you can see, more than one University offers Accounting. This means the cut-off mark for Accounting varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Accounting is a good course and you can also check the top best commercial courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Accounting is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Accounting is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Accounting is under the Faculty/School/College of Social and Management Studies but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or art student study Accounting?
Yes! If you are a Science, Commercial or an Art student, you can study Accounting at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Accounting is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Accounting in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Accounting below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Accounting had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Fatherprada tries as much as possible to provide you with correct and up to date information. If you find any pieces of misinformation or require additional details please feel free to use the comment.