Last Updated on
This page contains official 2019/2020 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Political Science, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Course||Political Science – under Social Science|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Art and Commercial Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Political Science related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Political Science. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a Commercial student or an Art student with a good background Commercial subjects for you to study Political Science in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Political Science
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Political Science in Nigeria universities. This subject combination is also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Political Science must include:
- Government or History,
- English Language
- Three other subjects
- At least a pass in Mathematics is required
- A trade subject
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Political Science. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study this course, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Political Science
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Political Science that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Political Science. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Political Science must include:
- Government or History
- Plus two other Social Science/Arts subjects
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Political Science
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for this course, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes including Government or History.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study this course, don’t give up. You should consider other Political Science similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Political Science in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chrisland University
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Covenant University Ota
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina (FUDUSOK)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University
- Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University
- Ikeji-Arakeji, University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene Akwa Ibom
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Tansian University Umunya
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Political Science. Listen, there is no such thing as best universities or top universities to study Political Science in Nigeria. Nobody has that information. Although recommendations are allowed, don’t be deceived by the word “best”. Read why you should stop looking for the best University in Nigeria
Course description: I know you’re here to see the O level requirement for political science in Nigeria. Permit meet to tell you what this Political science course is all about. It is a discipline seeks to explain the development of political attitudes and behaviour, the nature and function of contemporary political institutions, the development and implementation of public policies, and the limits and possibilities of government, both at the national and international levels.
Students will learn to critically evaluate public policies and institutions and are encouraged to become actively involved in the community through internships in government and public law. A degree in political science helps prepare students for careers in government, law, campaign management, business, international organizations, and research. Political science help you gain a thorough understanding of how power, politics, and people converge.
The political science major combines breadth and depth, helping students develop a general foundation for the study of politics and offering opportunities to explore particular areas of interest. Courses give students both a strong knowledge base and facility with the tools of political analysis. Most universities offers a substantial number of courses in all four fields of the discipline—Nigeria politics, international relations, comparative politics, and political theory—covering a range of topics and analytical perspectives.
This political science degree programme can prepare students for a wide variety of vocations. After graduation, many students go to law school or graduate school, or work for service organizations, government, or business.
Areas of emphasis within the political science are Nigeria politics and public law, international relations and comparative politics, public administration and public policy, and political theory and methodology..
Where can I work with a Degree in Political Science
An undergraduate degree in political science provides a strong foundation for any number of career choices. With the analytical and communication skills mastered while earning a political science degree, students may pursue a career in government at the local, state, or federal levels, at nonprofit organizations, nongovernmental organizations, or private industries.
Recent surveys indicate that students who combine university studies with either work or internships in local government agencies are more likely to obtain government employment after graduation.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Political Science course
As you can see, more than one University offers Political Science. This means the cut-off mark for Political Science varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Political Science is a good course and you can also check the top best commercial courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Political Science is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Political Science is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Political Science is under the Faculty/School/College of Social and Management Studies but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or art student study Political Science?
Yes! If you are a Science, Commercial or an Art student, you can study Political Science at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Political Science is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Political Science in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Political Science below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Political Science had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Follow Fatherprada on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB for Political and Administrative Studies
- Study Sociology and Anthropology – Under Social Science
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Geography – Under Social Science
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Political Science and Diplomacy
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Demography and Social Statistics
- Political Science and Conflict Resolution – Under Social Science
- Political Science / International Law and Diplomacy
- WAEC and JAMB UTME for Political Science and International Studies
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for International Relations
- Requirements for Political Science and Defense Studies