Last updated on November 23, 2020 by The Counselor
The International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in partnership with Mastercard Foundation started the Young Africa Works-IITA Project. This project is designed to advance agribusiness opportunity to over 40,000 Nigerian youths especially women. It focuses on providing skills development, decent employment and entrepreneurship opportunity for youth to secure dignified and fulfilling work in agri-food value chains for the next five years.
Eligibility Criteria for International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Aged 18 – 35 years
- Must be ordinarily resident1 in the respective municipal area (and live within 5km radius of a cluster)
- Must have attained at least Junior Secondary School 3 (JSS3) for entrepreneurship track & a diploma for employment track
- Willingness to commit at least 6 weeks for the training
- Must demonstrate a passion for agriculture
- Interest in the project focus commodities
- Must have access to a functional mobile phone
- Affiliation to a registered association is an added advantage
A certificate will be issued upon completion of the training program.
The project is working with partners in various sectors;
- To strengthen agricultural training for young people
- Provide youth particularly young women with skills needed to better compete for decent employment and develop their own successful businesses in agriculture and agro-processing,
- Develop youth-sensitive loan and agribusiness support programs in collaboration with financial institutions that recognize the specialized needs of youth as agricultural borrowers.
- Transition youth vocational training centres into youth agribusiness parks that offer workspace, experiential learning, opportunities and collective services to youth
The Young Africa Works-IITA project is currently seeking applicants within Kaduna, Kano, and Lagos, to build their capacity to be trained and work within the supported value chain of rice, soybean, maize, cowpea, poultry, vegetable, mushroom, groundnut, fish and livestock.
- Limited Forms are also available at
a) Lagos State Agricultural Development Authority, 371 Oko-Oba, Agege Motor Rd, Agege, Lagos
b) IITA office, National Agricultural Extension and Research Liaison Services (NAERLS) office complex, Zaria Kaduna State.
c) International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Sabo Bakin Zuwo Road, Kano State.
- Application ends: December 12th, 2020
- A follow-up interview may be conducted for the final selection of beneficiaries to be considered
for the training.
- Click HERE to apply