A non-STEM major is a major that is not in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. This includes majoring in other fields of study like humanities, business, arts, finance, psychology, etc. There are so many fields of study, away from STEM. Majoring in these other fields does not limit your intellectual capacity as they contribute their own quota to the world and encourage cooperation between different fields of study. In this article, you will be learning about the highest-paying non-STEM majors, and the skills one possesses from taking up these majors.
There are countless opportunities in non-STEM disciplines. One of which is finance, especially when you take up a career from the highest paying non-STEM majors. With branches scattered all over the arts, business, social sciences, philosophy, etc, there is a wide variety to pick from. These majors improve knowledge, helping individuals learn and develop the following skills;
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- Logical thinking
- Analytical thinking
- Reading and writing skills
- Quantitative reasoning
Most of the skills that come with non-STEM majors are social skills. In non-STEM majors, the mind as well as social interactions are built. This means that the mental capacity of a man and his ability to relate with others are developed for a greater society. Also, in majors like finance, and architecture, STEM skills like mathematics and quantitative reasoning are also developed, further explaining the broad advantages of non-STEM majors.
The idea that they are purely humanistic should be debunked, as art disciplines like history make use of the scientific methodology in solving problems. Non-STEM majors also help to offer different views, creating solutions based on individualistic perceptions.
Non-step majors are very lucrative in the labor market. They also have lofty standards and are equally important in society. Below are some of the highest-paying non-STEM majors in the United States. They include;
- Sociology: Sociology is a common non-STEM major, and one of the highest-paying. Sociology is the scientific study of social relationships, activities, and institutions. It deals with the study of human interactions and is majorly concerned with how the science of society works. There are so many high-paying careers in sociology majors. Careers like public relations, social research, administration, human resource specialist, business analysis, etc., can be pursued in sociology. The average earning of a sociologist is $92,910 per year. However, the earnings are not limited to that figure. Experience and choice of career are factors that can affect how high your earnings are.
- Finance: Another common and one of the highest-paying non-STEM majors is Finance. Finance is slightly related to the STEM field, as it involves mathematics as a core skill needed to study it. Finance is the study, creation, and management of funds and investments for large companies or the government. There are so many lucrative career choices under the finance major. They include- accountants, auditors, brokers, and financial analysts amongst others. The finance major makes earnings of about $91,580 per year, depending on the career choice.
- Psychology is the study of the human mind and how it functions. It helps to understand why humans behave the way they do, and why they react the way they do. It explains human behavior in relation to an object or feeling. Some careers in psychology include- therapist, social worker, counseling, etc. Psychologists earn around $81,040 per year, making it one of the highest-paying non-STEM majors.
- Linguistics is simply the scientific study of languages. This means understanding the origin, grammar, intonation, structure, and phonetics of a language. Linguists earn $72,072 per year. A linguist can work in a variety of industries. They can pursue careers in academia, work as translators, copy editors, etc. Linguistics is one of the highest-paying non-STEM majors in the United States.
- Education is one of those majors that fit into any field, STEM, or non-STEM. Any career choice is useful in education, and unsurprisingly, it is one of the highest-paying non-STEM majors in the United States. The earnings in education average between $98,700 – $150,000 per year. Success in education, however, is dependent on high degrees, and experience. The more you learn, the higher your chances of winning big.
- International relations is the study of actual relations and interactions across borders, between two or more countries. International relations deals with the engagement of two or more countries in a relationship to pursue their individual interests. To pursue these interests, diplomats make use of diplomacy, alliances, treaties, and other instruments. These skills are further put into practice to pursue career opportunities like- public affairs analysts, public relations officers, intelligence analysts, international aid workers, etc. International relations is one of the highest-paying non-STEM majors with a yearly salary of about $70,000.
- Accounting is an extremely popular non-STEM major. Accounting is the study and recording of financial transactions between an individual or enterprise, and another. With yearly earnings of about $70,582, accounting is one of the highest-paying non-step majors in the United States. It is closely related to STEM because it involves the use of mathematics and quantitative reasoning to solve problems.
- History is a pure art major that deals with the study of important past events. However, it makes use of scientific methods to identify and solve problems. Historians make $60,881 per year in the United States, depending on experience and level of degree. It is one of the highest-paying non-STEM majors.
- Hospitality management deals with the overseeing of activities and organization of the hospitality business. The hospitality business can be hotels, lodging, tourism, etc. Hospitality management is concerned with social skills. They need to be able to interact successfully with anybody and make them always feel welcome. Hospitality management earns $59,400 per year, making it one of the highest-paying non-STEM majors in the United States.
Other highest-paying non-STEM majors include; Business administration, communications, journalism, archaeology, etc. The yearly earnings of these majors are not confined to the figures mentioned above. Experience, work location, career choice, and level of degree are factors that can either increase or decrease your earnings for a major.