Last Updated on
What are social science, top social science jobs and the list of social science subjects
What is social science?
Many curious students have been asking if Economic, Sociology and the likes are social science subjects? And some of you want to know the list of social science subjects for JAMB or WAEC. Well before I go into that, let me show you what Social Science is all about.
Social science subjects aim to produce better manpower development, dynamic social scientists and high-level personnel for the public and private sector in any given economy.
The social science subjects or courses are branches of knowledge taught and researched at the college or university level. Social science is academic disciplines that examine society and how people interact and develop as a culture. Social science primary focus is people and how their behaviour within a society affect the world around us.
According to the reference from Wikipedia, Social science subjects began to flourish in the 18th century through the likes of great intellectuals mind such as Adam Smith, Voltaire, Immanuel Kant, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Denis Diderot and David Hume. While they laid the foundation, various individuals began to take a more disciplined approach to quantify their observations of society, and over time similar aspects of a society, such as linguistics and psychology, were separated into unique fields of study.
Social science tells us about the world beyond our immediate experience and can help explain how our own society works – from the causes of unemployment or what helps economic growth, to how and why people vote, or what makes people happy. It provides vital information for governments and policymakers, local authorities, non-governmental organisations and others.
Although there are over 100 social science courses in Nigeria, the following are the major social science courses all over the world.
The 10 social science subjects
- Economics: Man and Resource Management
- Sociology: Man and Society
- Political science: Man and Government
- History: Man and past events
- Anthropology: Man and his Cultural Past
- Psychology: Man and his Mind
- Geography: Man and his Physical World
- Medicine: Man and his Health.
- Law: Man and Order
- Language: Man and Communication
These are the top paying social science subjects right now
If you have an interest in politics, then a career as a political scientist might be the right choice for you. Although you don’t need a degree in Political science to join politics, having one put you at the top angle. Political scientists investigate every aspect of politics, from how political systems originated and progressed to how they currently operate and from political trends and new political policies and ideas. As scientists, they study existing research, develop theories and collect and analyse data that ranges from qualitative, like historical texts, to quantitative, like the statistics behind election results and surveys.
So, where do political scientists find jobs? You might be surprised at the number of possible workplaces for these professionals. Political scientists work within the government and much more work for political parties. They also find employment with labour organizations, news agencies, academic or research institutions and nonprofit organizations. Political scientists may specialize in studying International relations, comparative politics or political theory.
Median Salary: $102,000
Minimum qualification Level: Political Science or Public Administration
Economics goes beyond money and management… isn’t just about money, but about resources of all kinds. Economists investigate! They may work in the fields of public finances, industrial organization economics, financial economics, international economics, macroeconomics and microeconomics.
The federal government alone employs close to half of all economists. In government roles, these professionals predict funding and spending needs, study the economic ramifications of policies and laws and gather and evaluate information about the national economy, ranging from employment rates to trends in the prices of goods and services.
Other economists find employment with private corporations, where they evaluate the demand for and sales of a product or service and advice business leaders on how the economy will influence their success and how they can improve their profits.
Median Salary: $91,860
Minimum qualification Level: Master’s Degree in Economics
Do you often wonder why people think, feel and behave in certain ways? If so, a career in psychology could be in your future. Psychologists investigate human behaviour. They perform scientific research studies in laboratories to learn about brain function and behaviour. They gather and evaluate information gained from their own observations, as well as a variety of tests, surveys and interviews with human subjects to detect patterns in behaviours, emotions and cognitive processes.
There is a wide variety of types of psychologists, and each type performs different job roles. Clinical psychologists are healthcare workers who diagnose mental health disorders and treat them through psychotherapy, behavioural modification and, in certain states, medication.
Counselling psychologists also work directly with patients, but instead of treating mental illnesses, they guide patients in understanding and solving problems in their lives, such as substance abuse and relationship problems.
School psychologists work in academic services, helping students at grade levels from preschool to college cope with learning and behavioural problems and reach educational goals. Other types of psychologists focus more on research than on working with patients or clients directly.
Developmental psychologists investigate the psychological process of growing and aging, particularly among children but sometimes among senior citizens.
Social psychologists research the effect of social interactions on human behaviour.
Forensic psychologists work in the legal system, where they testify in court regarding psychological factors in a criminal, civil or family case.
Psychologists find work in schools, healthcare facilities, social assistance programs, research centers, government agencies and their own private practices.
Median Salary: $69,280
Minimum qualification Level: Ph.D. in Psychology or Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.)
Like I mentioned earlier, some of you are asking for the list for social science subjects in WAEC and the list of social science subjects for JAMB. These questions are the same. Whether you’re writing WAEC, NECO, GCE or JAMB, as long as you are a commercial student, social science subjects remain the same.
These are the list of social science subjects in WAEC and JAMB
- Actuarial Science
- Banking and Finance
- Business Administration
- Business Administration/Marketing
- Business and Entrepreneurship Studies
- Business Management/Management Science
- Conflict and Peace Resolution
- Criminology and Security Studies
- Demography and Social Statistics
- Economics and Development Studies
- Economics and Statistics
- Economics with Operation Research
- E-Learning in Economics
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Environmental Protection Resources Management
- Film and Video Studies
- Geography and Environmental Management
- Geography and Meteorology
- Geography and Regional Planning
- Government and Public Administration
- History and International Relations
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Hotel and Tourism Management
- Human Resources Management
- Industrial and Labour Relations
- Industrial Relations
- Industrial Relations and Personnel Management
- Intelligence and Security Studies
- International and Comparative Politics
- International Relations
- International Relations and Diplomacy
- International Relations and Human Resources Management
- International Relationship and Strategic Studies
- International Studies
- International Studies and Diplomacy
- Library and Information Science
- Library Science
- Management and Entrepreneurship
- Marketing and Advertising
- Mass Communication
- Mass Communication and Media Technology
- Media and Communication Studies
- Office Management and Information
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- Peace and Development Studies
- Policy and Administrative Studies
- Policy and Strategic Studies
- Political Science
- Political Science / International Law and Diplomacy
- Political Science and Conflict Resolution
- Political Science and Defence Studies
- Political Science and Diplomacy
- Political Science and International Relations
- Political Science and International Studies
- Political Science and Public Administration
- Population Studies
- Public Administration
- Public Administration and Local Government
- Social Justice
- Social Work
- Sociology and Anthropology
- Political and Administrative Studies
Like Fatherprada on Facebook
- Career type and the degree to lead you there
- Why you should study psychology at the university
- Why you should Study Sociology at the University
- 10 Top Best Art Courses for Art Students
- How To Join Politics in Nigeria- Get Involved
- PDP and APC controlled States in 2019
- Why you should study Marketing at the University
- How to gain admission into Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
- List of Art and Humanities courses in Nigeria Universities
- How to gain admission into Ekiti State University Eksu