Last Updated on
University Admission Screening Documents
There are two types of admission screening. We have pre-admission screening (Post UTME) and Matriculation screening (departmental and faculty). Matriculation screening will only take place after you have been given full admission in the university of your choice.
The admission process usually differs but it is geared towards making sure you’re eligible for the course of study. All tertiary institutions have this screening in place to ensure they are admitting the right student. You will be screened according to the entry requirement of your chosen course
First, let’s consider the required documents for Online Post UTME (Pre Screening)
- Before you can proceed with Online Post UTME registration/screening, you must pay the post UTME fee. These fees differ from school to school.
- Subject combination: One of the main reasons for screening Post UTME is to ensure student wrote and have 5 credits (one sitting) or 6 credit (two sittings) on the correct subject combination required to study their chosen course. This is the part where students fail. They don’t ask questions about the right subjects or courses of choice. If you need help click here
- JAMB Data: JAMB data includes information like your JAMB, Registration number, JAMB score, UTME Subject combination etc. For an online screening, you will be required to provide this information.
- Passport Photograph: Your most recent passport is needed for screening and schools have their specifications. Some will require a red background while others will require a white background. The passport should also be recent. At least not more than two months it was taken.
- Online Admission screening registration printout: This is the document you print out after registering for your school’s post-UTME/DE admission screening exercise. You will need this print out if when you’re going for a physical screening, an Aptitude test/Oral interview.
- Guarantor’s or Referee’s Letter: Some schools only demand this during Matriculation screening. Your school will specify if this is needed. It’s a letter from your parents or sponsor indicating that they are liable and responsible for you in case of damage and unfortunate event.
Required Screening Documents Admission (Matriculation Screening)
This screening process is very strict if you don’t adhere to the specific admission requirements of each school or read through special considerations. Below are the necessary documents required for a successful admission screening in UNILAG, DELSU, UNIBEN, OAU, UNIJOS, LASU, FUTO, FUTA, IMSU, OOU, UI, OAU, UNIPORT and every other university in Nigeria.
You will first go through departmental screening after that, you will go through faculty screening and from there, your files will be sent to student and exams records for Matriculation Number and proper documentation. Without Matriculation number, you not a student.
The following are the required screening documents for university admission:
SSCE O level Result.
Your WAEC, NECO or GCE is your O level (ordinary level) result which you must take along for the admission process. If it is up to four years you wrote the O level (ordinary level) examination, you will have to present the original certificate of your result not a statement of results. If you don’t have the original credentials, (for those who just wrote the exam) you will be screened with the computer print-out and O’level statement of result…
You can use one or two O level result depending on the University policy. You can use a combination of WAEC & GCE result, NECO & WAEC result, GCE & NECO, 2 WAEC result, 2 GCE result, 2 NECO result to gain admission.
- Correct Subject Combination – To gain admission, you must PASS the required secondary school subjects in your O level examination and also the required secondary school subjects in JAMB UTME. During your departmental screening exercise, these combinations will be checked thoroughly. Use the search box below to check your preferred course O level and JAMB subject combinations.
A level Certificate.
A level (Advanced level) Certificate for those who want to pass through Direct Entry. IJMB, JUBEB, CAMBRIDGE, HND, NABTEB and NCE
School Leaving Certificate (Testimonial)
You are expected to present your Testimonial during the screening process. If you’re using a WAEC or NECO result, the school name must tally with the name on your School Leaving Certificate. If you’re presenting a GCE result, no issue, but you must still present a Testimonial.
You will also present your Admission Letter or original JAMB result during screening. You can get JAMB original result at a cyber cafe.
Birth Certificate (DOB):
I don’t need to explain what a Birth Certificate is and every student should possess one.
If you don’t have a birth certificate, you should go and swear an Affidavit in a Magistrate Court and make sure your name corresponds with your O level / A level result.
The Local Government of Origin Certificate:
This Certificate is very important for screening especially in a State University because it gives you an identity and other benefits such as Scholarship. You can get the Certificate in your State Local Government
Acceptance Fee Receipt:
Don’t even think of the screening till you pay up the acceptance fee. The receipt might be required before you’re issued the screening form.
On a Final Note:
- If the name on your Birth Certificate differs from your O level / A level result, you will be required to publish the correct name on a newspaper publication or through a means made available by the University.
- Your Date of Birth must tally with your O level / A level result
- You will also pass through a thorough medical checkup including blood and urine test.
- Admission process might take days to complete but if you have connections, please make use of it. I had spent almost a month on the screening process until I used my connection and within 20 minutes, I was through with the whole screening process.
- Don’t wait until you finish admission screening before you start attending lectures. You may spend your first semester on this process. Be wise.
- Until you’re giving Matriculation Number, you’re not a student of the university.
… and I wish you luck
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- Adamawa State University Screening Guide
- FUPRE Courses and Admission Requirement
- Nigeria Universities Admission Status Checker
- How to verify WAEC result for WES
- What is Pre-admission in College/University
- How to Gain Admission Easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guide for Students
- UNIBEN JUPEB Registration Procedure
- Requirements for Admission into Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- The True Meaning of NOT ADMITTED on JAMB CAPS