Nobody wakes up one morning and becomes a good teacher. The 50 qualities of a good teacher listed here are not automatic. While some of these qualities are nurtured and developed through initial education and continuous training, some take years to build and within this period, there will be a lot of sacrifices. For without sacrifices, some traits cannot blossom.
How do you define a good teacher?
A good teacher is someone who adequately fulfils his/her class objective through required skills, utilizing the available instructional materials and getting positive feedback from students during and after the class. Positive feedback can be measured through summative evaluation. See also What Makes An Effective Teacher?
Having or being a good teacher is extremely important because students are at the receiving end. I mean, they are most affected by the quality of their teachers. So what are the 50 qualities of a good teacher? There are a lot of things to consider when answering this question. Instead of discussing, I have made a run list.
Dianne McKinley rightly said: There are teachers, and there are great teachers. Notice the difference between the two phrases – the word “great”
These are The 50 Great Qualities of a Good Teacher
- Acts with integrity
- Brings a wide range of skills and talents to teaching
- Builds links at national and international levels in education
- Committed to professional development in education
- Committed to the work
- Communicates effectively with others
- Contributes to course design and structure
- Contributes to publications on education
- Creates a climate of trust
- Demonstrates creativity in teaching strategies
- Demonstrates leadership in teaching
- Discusses ideas in an organized way
- Does not stereotype or speak negatively of others
- Emphasizes teamwork
- Encourages an open and trusting learning environment
- Encourages and appreciates diversity
- Encourages collaborative learning
- Encourages creative work
- Encourages input from others, listening deeply and giving credit for their contributions
- Encourages student growth with appropriate behaviour-based feedback
- Encourages student questions and engagement in the learning process
- Encourages students to achieve their goals
- Encourages students to learn from mistakes
- Encourages students to organize, analyse and evaluate
- Encourages students to work in teams
- Enthusiastic about work and about teaching
- Evidence of self-development in an educational context
- Explores with probing questions
- Focuses on the educational needs of the students.
- Fosters critical thinking
- Fosters innovation and new approaches
- Helps and supports people to grow
- Helps students redeﬁne failure as a learning experience
- Helps students to focus on key issues
- Interacts and communicates respect
- Keeps up to date in speciality
- Listens to students and discovers their educational needs.
- Monitors the progress of students and fosters their success
- Motivates students and co-workers
- Motivates students to create new ideas.
- Nurtures and encourages diversity
- Presents difﬁcult concepts comprehensible
- Brings appropriate evidence to the critiqueTeaches memorably
- Provides a model of high ethical standards
- Provides constructive feedback
- Provides positive feedback
- Work-life balance
- Seeks continually to improve teaching skills
- Seeks feedback and criticism.
- Seeks to learn and incorporate new skills, and information teaching
Extra great qualities of a good teacher
- Shows a caring attitude
- Trains students in strategic thinking
- Seeks and encourages understanding of, and respect for, people of diverse backgrounds
- Trains students in strategic thinking
- Teaches students how to monitor their own progress
- Teaches students how to think, not what to think
- Teaching is clearly presented and stimulates high-order thinking skills
- Values students, never belittle
- Works with passion
- Keen to uphold the university’s values.
- You can mention more qualities of a great teacher in the comment section
Teachers are Readers. Readers are leaders. See below Amazon books carefully selected for you.
Do you want 50 great qualities of a good teacher in PDF format? Download here
a teacher loves for his profession
who takes real thirst for knowledge
My sister would like to enroll her child in preschool since this will provide the best education for her. Well, I agree with you that having a good teacher is vital in terms of teaching the child. We’ll also keep in mind to select a school with teachers that are great with communications.