One of the best ways to study in Nigeria for free is through scholarships. There are numerous scholarship bodies in Nigeria that offer scholarships to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. So what I will be listing here are the overall best available scholarships in Nigeria that I recommend to any student looking for a scholarship.
When it comes to getting a scholarship, you should bear in mind that there are so many other students who also, are applying for the same scholarship at a time. So it might take you more, and extra qualification to stand a chance of winning a scholarship. To help my readers better, I have made much research about available scholarships in Nigeria and have gathered statistics as regards to what mostly disqualify scholarship applicants and how to avoid them:
Timing: The mistake of staying without getting updates on a particular scholarship you applied for or planned to apply for, might deny students the opportunity to get a scholarship. This very mistake may cause you negative effects.
- Missing out the application time and date.
- In a case where you have applied already, you may miss out when you are required to take any action or send a response to a query.
Qualification: All scholarships require applicants to meet the necessary eligibility and criteria. Some of these criteria include the level of education, GPA, Age, and all other educational qualifications. Applicants who submit fake and invalid documents will always be disqualified even if they meet other requirements.
Test: Some scholarships set tests for their applicants so as to test their academic ability by setting some questions that are specific for that particular scholarship. The exam’s questions are set always set base on what the scholarship firm is all about.
Most scholarship questions are always from the English language and general paper, which might combine both science, humanities, history, and current affairs questions. Applicants who don’t pass such tests are usually disqualified even if they meet other requirements.
Policies: All scholarships have their own policies and any applicants who don’t follow the policies attract automatic disqualification. Some scholarships may not allow some applicants who are already beneficiaries of other scholarships, while some don’t allow students from some parts or regions of the country to apply. So do well to read through the complete policies before applying.
When to Apply for a Scholarship:
- Apply early (Immediately the application commences)
- Apply for only scholarships you know you are qualified for.
- Apply for as many scholarships as possible (check for scholarships that don’t allow existing scholarship beneficiaries)
- Makes sure to read a scholarship’s instructions, policies, and application guidelines before applying.
List of best and Available scholarships in Nigeria.
Below are the names of the best available scholarships in Nigeria and the categories at which they fall into (Scholarships by Governments, Foundations/Organisations, Oil Companies, and International Scholarships) for Undergraduates and Postgraduates. The Application Link to apply for all the scholarship listed here is at the bottom of this listing:
Federal Government Available Scholarships for Nigerian Students
- BEA Awards for Nigerians to Study Abroad,
- Federal Govt Scholarships for Undergraduate, HND, NCE, and Postgraduate
- PTDF National Undergraduates, masters and PhD Scholarship to study In Nigeria
Oil Companies Available Scholarships for Nigerian students
- Exxon-Mobil Undergraduate Scholarships
- NNPC/TOTAL National Merit Scholarships
- NNPC-ADDAX Nigerian Undergraduate Scholarships [See Details]
- Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) Undergraduate Scholarships
- Shell Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
- Jim Ovia Scholarship for Nigerian Graduates and Undergraduates
- NPDC/SEPLAT Undergraduate Scholarship Awards
- Nigeria LNG Undergraduate Scholarship Award
Available Scholarships by foundations for Undergraduates
- Fulbright Scholarship Program for Nigerians -APPLY
- MTN Foundation Undergraduate Scholarships for Nigerian Students
- SEOF Scholarship For Secondary, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Nigerian Students
- Nigeria Women Association of Georgia (NWAG) Undergraduate Female Students Scholarship
- APM Terminals Scholarship & Internship for Undergraduates
- Guinness Nigeria Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme For Young Nigerians
- Gani Fawehinmi Scholarship Application
- David Oyedepo Foundation Scholarships For African Students
Available scholarships in Nigeria For Masters
- PTDF Postgraduate Scholarship
- NITDA Scholarship Scheme for Nigerians
- Agip Postgraduate Scholarship
- BEA Awards for Nigerians to Study Abroad
PhD available scholarships in Nigeria
- Nigeria LNG (NLNG) Scholarship Scheme
- Shell SPDC students program
- Federal Government of Nigeria Scholarship
International scholarships for Nigerian students
- Newcastle University Nigeria Scholarships
- Griffith Scholarships for African Nationals
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships For Nigerian Students
- Rotary Foundation Global Grants
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- Startup Nigeria Incubation Program
Application Portal for all Scholarships
Takeaway: Just like I said before if you have the opportunity to many scholarships, then apply for all of them because you can’t tell which one will luckily shortlist you. Meanwhile, apply for only available scholarships in Nigeria you know you have met their requirements. For you to know each of the scholarship’s requirements, always visit their “policy page” and you will see all that you need to meet to be eligible for the scholarship offer.