Last Updated on
Post UTME score is over what and how to if you stand a chance for admission
Many students want to know their fate after seeing what they scored in Post UTME. The next question is Post UTME is over what? Well, there is no specific overall mark for Post UTME.
In some universities, students could score 200 above in their Post UTME while in other universities, they may score 100 below. This means the overall mark for these universities differs and there are no general formula. Most higher Institutions adopt a formula that best suits their purpose for the screening exercise.
Some universities use your O level grade point, JAMB score and Post UTME score to get your aggregate score which will determine your admission. But some school only make use of JAMB score and Post UTME to get your aggregate which will then determine your admission.
There are some who gives extra 10 points to students who use on one O level result. So if you had 70 or 200 in Post UTME, that does not guarantee your admission. You can only hope and pray that after the complex calculation, your aggregate score will qualify you for admission.
By the general rule of thumb, if you score 40 above or 200 in your aggregate, you will be given admission except if the course applied for is competitive. So the question Post UTME is over what can only be determined by your school. No general formula.
Competitive courses usually require a higher aggregate score. For example, to study Medicine band Surgery in Delsu, you may be required to have at least an aggregate of 55 and above. To know what your Post UTME score is over, look at how the score is calculated.
There are 2 popular methods of calculating Post UTME in Nigeria Universities.
1) If your Post UTME score is within the range of 1 to 100,
Jamb score divided 8
Post UTME score divided by 2
The results are added together to get the aggregate
For example, Arinola Ajayi scored 281 in JAMB and 63 in Post JAMB
281/8 = 35.125
63/2 = 31.5
35.125 + 31.5 = 66.625
66.625 will be used to determine if Arinola Ajayi qualify for admission based on his chosen course aggregate requirement. Schools like DELSU, UNIBEN, UNILAG etc make use of this Post UTME calculation
2) If your Post UTME score is within the range of 1 to 100 above,
JAMB Score + Post UTME Score divide by 2
For example, Arinola Ajayi scored 281 in JAMB and 167 in Post JAMB
281 + 167 = 448
448/2 = 224
224 will be used to determine if Arinola Ajayi qualify for admission based on his chosen course aggregate requirement.
If you know other formulas, please kindly use the comment.
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- What is Pre-admission in College/University
- How IELTS score candidate and test release date
- College of Medicine University of Lagos Undergraduate Courses
- List of universities that accept 120 to 179 JAMB score
- UNILAG Official UTME Cut-off Mark & Admission Requirement
- How to calculate GPA for a semester international students
- JAMB result is out… Check JAMB 2019 result here
- Why you should study psychology at the university
- About Mass Communication in Unilag
- How to Calculate GPA and CGPA in Nigeria