No two individuals are alike. However, successful students have similar characteristics which make them succeed in college. While it’s important to consider your strengths, it’s also important to develop a plan for moving forward and ensuring you have the knowledge and skills needed to succeed.
The following are some of the characteristics of the good student you can be:
- Good students have a good attitude and know-how to stay motivated.
- Good students have developed good time management strategies, such as scheduling study time and getting started early on assignments and projects.
- Good students have developed their critical thinking skills and apply them in their studies.
- Good students have effective strategies for taking good notes in class and using them.
- Good students have learned how to gain the most from their assigned readings for classes.
- Good students know how to prepare for and take tests successfully.
- Good students interact well with their instructors and fellow students in and outside of class.
- Good students have learned to write well for their classes, an essential aspect of a college education.
- Good students develop social relationships that contribute to, rather than detract from, their educational experiences.
- Good students take control of their health with good habits that help them be better students and feel less stress.
- Good students have control over their finances. Because getting into debt is a very common reason that students have to drop out of college, it’s important to control expenditures and manage your finances well
- Good students are able to transition well from the world of college into their future careers.