Last Updated on
Tragedy struck in Asaba, the Delta State capital, Monday evening when torrential floods swept away a polytechnic graduate identified as Chinedu Igboke.
The flood was occasioned by a heavy rainfall that pounded the capital city for hours.
Reportedly in his thirties, the victim, said to hail from Ebonyi State, was working as a security guard in a private school along Shekinah Love Assembly Street, Off Ralph Uwechue Way, Okpanam Road, Asaba.
An eyewitness to the scene on Tuesday said that the deceased was directing traffic on Shekinah Love Assembly Street following the gridlock along Okpanam road when a misstep caused him to fall into an uncovered gutter along the earth road.
The eyewitness said that the gutter was filled with running water when Igboke fell into it, adding that before help could be rescued, he had already floated into the deep tunnel which channels storm waters from the into the Anwai River.
“When he fell into the water, he slammed his head against the concrete walls of the gutter. So he might have lost strength to swim against the tide before being floated helplessly into the tunnel,” the witness said.
According to the source, the school authority where Igboke worked as a security guard, mobilised divers and swimmers to comb Anwai River to recover his body.
“We suspect that the body may be hanging somewhere along this tunnel because of blockade inside. We went with them to the river but they could not recover his body,” the witness added.
The uncovered gutter and deep tunnel through which Igboke was swept are part of the ongoing comprehensive stormwater control projects in parts of Asaba by the state government.
Earlier in the year, three people, including a girl of about ten years, were swept away by rampaging floodwaters along Okpanam road.
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- Cultists shot and savagely butchered a CRUTECH student
- Flood swept away final year student in Adekunle Ajasin University
- AAUA Students Panic: We are no longer safe from robbery
- Cultists murdered students of the Federal University, Otuoke
- 26-year-old NYSC member to become youngest commissioner
- Students of Federal College of Education, Enugu State blocked the school gate.
- Mathematics teacher sends nude pictures to 14-year-old student
- Graduate Arrested For Stealing One-Month Old Baby
- 100 level Student dies while celebrating the Independence Day
- Admission seeker drags sister to court over generator