Biology is a fascinating aspect of nature that deals with the study of living things. The understanding of how nature works, life, and how to sustain life is the paramount idea of biologists and anything related to “the study of life”. If you are in search of a job related to your love for biology and your hobbies, this article will help you figure out which of your hobbies are important in pursuing a career in science, especially in biology.
Hobbies related to biology are pastime habits or interests related to the field of biology, undertaken for leisure and relaxation. In this article, we will be highlighting hobbies related to biology that could help boost your CV and create opportunities for a successful career in science. These habits or hobbies are cumulative effects of your attitude to nature and everyday life in general. They will not only expand your knowledge of biology but will also create a successful career path in the field of study.
The following are some of the hobbies related to biology;
- Nature Photography: One of the most common hobbies related to biology is nature photography. The love for biology can be expressed through taking photographs of nature, organisms, plants, and animals of different species. These photographs can be documented and studied for a better understanding of life in the ecosystem. This requires you to spend more time outdoors, staring at nature, and landscapes, and capturing images that transcend beyond the lens of the camera, expressing the beauty of life.
- Gardening: Gardening is a part of horticulture that deals with the cultivation and tending of plants. These plants include ornamental plants, fruits, and vegetables. Gardening is one of the hobbies related to biology and is usually done on a small scale. Gardening is a way through which the life cycles of plants and the science behind plant growth can be studied. Gardening is also an avenue to study different soil types and the organisms that can be found in them. What to plant, where to plant, and when to plant are questions that can be easily studied through gardening. Gardening as a hobby related to biology can help to give you background knowledge on soil and plants, which is an edge in job opportunities or career growth.
- Entomology: Entomology is a branch of zoology that deals with the study of insects and their relationship to humans and other organisms. Entomology is a hobby related to biology as you can collect and study insects, learn their taxonomy, and their roles in the ecological system. Entomology can also help to create a background knowledge of insects which is also an edge for a career opportunity in biology.
- Herpetology: Herpetology is a branch of zoology that deals with the study of reptiles and amphibians. As a hobby related to biology, you can learn about their habitat requirements, their relationship with other species, and their ecosystem. This knowledge boosts your chances of landing a job related to biology.
- Biology Glossary: Keeping a biology glossary is one hobby related to biology that can come in handy. A glossary that contains word registers in the field of biology creates familiarity with terms and expressions confined to the field of biology. This is one hobby related to biology that is very essential for academic purposes and other ramifications.
- Nature Conservation: Nature conservation is a movement focused on protecting species from extinction, enhancing the ecosystem, maintaining and restoring depleting habitats, and preventing the loss of biological diversity. It entails maintaining nature; species, genes, and, ecosystems. You can engage in these activities as a hobby related to biology and also volunteer with local conservation organizations to help save the ecosystem. Some of these volunteering opportunities award certifications that can boost your CV in getting a job related to the field of biology.
- Microscopy: This involves the use of microscopes to view and study objects that cannot be seen with the unaided eye. Being familiar with how to use the microscope in studying microorganisms is one hobby related to biology that can come in handy.
- Watching nature documentaries: Creating a habit of watching plants and animal documentaries gives you a vast knowledge of how plants and animals relate, their habitat requirements, and their ecosystem and it helps you learn their taxonomy. This is one of the common hobbies related to biology that exposes you to how plants and animals survive in the ecosystem. It also introduces you to background knowledge on biodiversity.
- Going on nature walks: Going on nature walks is one of the hobbies related to biology. It is a common way to get accustomed to nature itself. The trees, the wind, the grasses, and the beautiful landscape can keep you captivated for hours. It is also a way to feel connected to the ecosystem. In the walks, you will familiarize yourself generally with how nature works; plants, and organisms. It is an opportunity to witness the natural process of plants and organisms.
- Studying Fossils: One of the hobbies related to biology is studying fossils and their origin. This is done by visiting fossil parks for accurate information about plants or animal fossils. Research can also be made in the process of study. These fossils being studied can be of extinct species of plants or animals.
- Going on field trips: Going on field trips can also entail going on nature walks. Going on field trips to have a first-hand experience with textbook knowledge improves the outlook on biology generally. It is a hobby related to biology that aids in the transformation of theory study into practical.
- Marine Biology: Marine biology is a hobby for those who live in coastal areas or have access to an aquarium. Getting acquainted with the study of marine life, different species of fishes, marine organisms, and the marine ecosystem as a whole, gives a foreground experience going into a job or career opportunity related to biology.
- Birdwatching: If you love to explore the world of birds, and their species, learn their behavior, and take care of them, then you are on the right track to getting that job in the field of biology. Birdwatching also involves painting and identification of different bird species, their features, and characters to other birds and organisms.
- Botany: Botany is a branch of biology that deals with the study of plants, their structures, their taxonomy, diseases, and interactions with other organisms and the ecosystem. Botany also involves the study of the roles of plants in the ecosystem, favorable conditions, and soil types suitable for plants. It is one of the common hobbies related to biology.
- Citizen science project: Engaging in citizen science projects is one hobby related to biology that helps to build experience in scientific research. You can contribute to scientific research by getting involved in citizen science projects. It entails data collection and observations to help scientists with their research. Engaging in citizen science projects helps you build experience and knowledge on scientific research, both of which will be needed while getting a job relating to biology
If you find your hobby in the ones, mentioned above, then you are on the right track to securing a job related to biology. It should be noted, however, that when picking hobbies related to biology, you should always pick what aligns with your interest and resources. This is because while each of these hobbies is related to biology, some are more closely associated with some fields in biology than the field of study in general.