List of all the Research Institute in Nigeria
The main purpose of Research Institutes in Nigeria is to carry out Research. Thus, research institutes in Nigeria improve and increase the knowledge available about the specific research project as well as broaden the possibilities of how to utilize that knowledge to the best advantage.
Although the research institutes in Nigeria are often overlooked to be focused on natural science, there are also many research institutes in the Art/Humanities and Social Science as well, especially for sociological and historical research purposes.
Please do not confuse Research Centre with Research Institutes in Nigeria. Though they may perform the same functions, there is often a limitation. Research centres, unlike Research Institutes, are governed by universities, colleges and other organizational bodies where research are carried out and necessary to facilitate learning.
Research Institutes in Nigeria are formidable institutions and are relatively autonomous, although they are often in resource-dependent relationships with these organizations, funding may come from government sources as well as significant external funding, but research institutes in Nigeria attempt to maintain their research freedom and usually claim not to be beholden to specific interests.
Roles of Research institutes in Nigeria
- Research institutes are crucial partners for supporting the innovation activities of businesses, especially SMEs.
- Research institutes in Nigeria provide important impulses for the development of new products and cooperate in nearly every stage of the innovation process.
- Research institutes in Nigeria help to create or expand the curriculum of social or scientific methodology.
- Research institutes all over Nigeria are part of an active community of institutions that share values, foci, and missions.
Due to the high volume of requests, I have painstakingly carried out thorough research and collated 69 lists of Research Institutions in Nigeria. From the list below, you will notice that research institutes vary greatly and their activities also vary widely according to their mission and objectives.
These are the 69 lists of all Research Institutes in Nigeria
- Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN)
- Agricultural Rural Management Training Institute (ARMTI), Ilorin
- Animal Health Research Institutes
- Animal Production, Fisheries and Oceanography Research Institutes
- Arable Crops Research Institutes
- Center for Energy Research and Development
- Centre for Energy Research and Training
- Centre for Management Development
- Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, Ibadan
- Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN)
- Federal College of Freshwater Fisheries Technology, New Bussa
- Federal Institute of Industrial Research (FIIRO), Oshodi, Lagos
- Federal Ministry of Agriculture
- Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST)
- Federal Ministry of Water Resources
- Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN), Ibadan
- Forestry, Horticulture and Tree Crops Research Institutes
- Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training
- Institute for Agricultural Research (IAR)
- Institute of Agricultural Research & Extension Services, ABU, Zaria
- Institute of Agricultural Research & Training, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ibadan
- Institute of Archaeology and Museum Studies
- Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria (ICCON)
- Institute of Child Health
- Institute of human virology
- Institute of Operations Research of Nigeria (INFORN)
- International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- International Livestock Research Institute
- Lake Chad Research Institute (LCRI)
- Medical research institutes in Nigeria
- National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)
- National Agency for Science & Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI), Abuja
- National Agricultural Extension Research and Liaison Services (AERLS)
- National Animal Production Research Institute, Zaria
- National Center for Agricultural Mechanization
- National Center for Energy Research and Development
- National Center for Technology Management
- National Centre for Genetic Resources and Biotechnology (NACGRAB)
- National centre for Technology Management
- National Cereals Research Institute (NCRI)
- National Horticultural Research Institute (NIHORT)
- National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD)
- National Institute of Freshwater Fisheries Research, New Bussa
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD)
- National Research Institute for Chemical Technology (NARICT)
- National Root Crops Research Institute
- National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA)
- National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI)
- Nigeria Institute of Science Laboratory (NISLT)
- Nigerian Academy of Science
- Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute (NBRRI)
- Nigerian Educational Research Council
- Nigerian Institute for Oceanography and Marine Research (NIOMR)
- Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research (NIFOR)
- Nigerian Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research (NITR)
- Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology
- Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR)
- Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research
- Nigerian Stored Products Research Institute (NSPRI)
- Projects Development Institute (PRODA)
- Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC)
- Research Institutes organisations in Nigeria
- Rubber Research Institute of Nigeria (RRIN)
- Scientific Equipment Development Institute (SEDI-E)
- Sheda Science and Technology Complex
- Social Sciences Academy of Nigeria
- Sokoto Energy Research Centre (SERC
- The Nigerian Institute of Medical Research
- Unilorin Sugar Research Institute (USRI)
In conclusion, Some of these research institutes in Nigeria perform wide or basic research that often has a long time horizon and carries high risks with uncertain returns, while others focus on more short term market-oriented research, development work, problem-solving and technical assistance.
Notice: No part of this article may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews.