Business Education Programme in Nigeria is one of the most popular programmes in Nigeria Universities. For a fact, over 40 universities offer Business Education Programme in Nigeria excluding Colleges of Education.
What makes the programme unique and quite popular among students and business owners is that, unlike other courses/programmes, business education encompasses both natural sciences, social sciences and art/humanities.
For every business to strive, knowledge about the business is important. So let’s take a look at what business education is all about by definition. With daily advancement in technology and human resources, Business Education is not static and for this reason, there is no universal definition.
According to Popham, Business education is a course that prepares students for entry into and advancement in jobs within the business and it is equally important because it prepares students to handle their own business affairs and to function intelligently as consumers and citizens in a business economy.
Njoku gave another definition as an educational programme that equips an individual with functional and suitable skills, knowledge, attitude and value that would enable him/her operates in the environment he/she finds himself/herself.
Attaining an education in business will give you all of the essential skills: accounting, ethics, finance, management, organisation and human development will all translate seamlessly to the demands or each particular interest. Also, many universities require their business students to perform internships, so students have the ready-to-use experience to bring to future employers. They learn usable skills and put them to the test upon immediate entry to the workforce.
Benefits of Business Education in Nigeria
Business Education programme in Nigeria has great benefits because more people would have skills that can make them ready employers of labour. Dependence on the nation would be minimized as people become job creators.
- Business Education in Nigeria produce strong advocates and promoters of viable industries and business enterprises and also enables graduates of the programme to have an intelligent understanding of the increasing complexity of the business.
- As people develop proper values towards work they tend to contribute more economically to the nation. For instance, the nation is divorced from violence, sexual immorality, pride, corruption and examination malpractice among others.
- As individual citizens become judicious spenders, the country gains by way of investing excess resources on meaningful projects that would lead to economic development.
- Business education has made it possible for those who want to be retrained in order to upgrade their skills and have access to education. In this way, people who finish secondary grammar school with no saleable opportunity skills will have to acquire skills that make them become functional, through retraining programmes
Business Education Curriculum in Nigeria Universities.
If you desire to study Business Education, these are the list of courses you will study under this programme; You may also want to call this list Business Education course outline
- Administrative Office management
- Advanced Shorthand
- Auditing and Investigation
- Basic Keyboarding
- Business Communication
- Business Development & Management
- Business Law & Government Regulations
- Business Organization
- Computer Applications
- Consumer Economics
- Cost Accounting
- Curriculum Implementation & Instruction
- Curriculum Theory and Planning
- Educational Psychology
- Elements of Accounting
- Elements of Business
- Elements of Marketing
- Foundations of Technology Education
- Fundamentals of Government Accounting
- Human Resource Development
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Introduction to Education
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Issues in Peace and Conflict
- Measurement and Evaluation
- Methodology in Business Education
- Micro-Economic Theory
- Nigeria Marketing System & Commercial Policy
- Office Technology
- Principles of Bus. & Marketing Education
- Principles of Economics
- Research Design in Technical Education
- Risk Management
- Small Scale Business Management
- Spreadsheet Processing
- Statistics for Social Science
- Word Processing
The admission requirement to study Business Education in Nigeria.
The subjects needed to study Business Education programme in WAEC must contain five (5/6) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Business Education programme in Nigeria must include;
- English Language
- Financial Account
- Nigerian Language
- A Trade Subject
These are JAMB UTME subject combinations (subjects to write in jamb) to study Business Education
- English Language