Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Distance Learning Centre was established to facilitate the development and co-ordinate the delivery of degree and sub-degree programmes by open and distance learning mode through the use of modern information and communication technologies.
OAU has one of the largest and advanced distance learning platforms in Nigeria. OAU Distance Learning has increased educational opportunities for those disadvantaged by limited time, distance, gender discrimination, old age or physical disability, thus contributing to meeting the ever-increasing demand for tertiary education in Nigeria.
OAU Distance Learning E-Learning Mode
OAU Distance Learning programmes involve applications of multimedia technologies that support the delivery of knowledge in an electronic mode (e-Learning), as well as independent learning or correspondence and conventional face-to-face mode of lecture delivery (blended mode).
All lecture notes are converted into an interactive electronic mode and Compact Disc (CD) forms using efficient e-learning technologies to produce e-modules for students’ easy access to study online. OAU Distance Learning e-modules tell when a course begins and ends, including a number of fixed date events within each course e.g fixed dates or events such as assignment submission, face to face tutorial sessions, the start and end of conferences, chats and examinations.
The use of social network facilities such as Facebook, Twitter, Netlog, WordPress etc for academic purposes is also used to facilitate online lecture delivery.
These are OAU Distance Learning Programmes and Courses
- Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB)
- Certificate Course in French Language
- Certificate Course in Gender and Development Studies
- Certificate Course in Portuguese Language
- Postgraduate Certificate Course in Gender Studies
- Diploma in Conservation Science and Tourism
- Diploma in Dramatic Arts
- Diploma in Education
- Diploma in Fine and Applied Arts
- Diploma in Music
- Diploma in Physical and Health Education
- Diploma in Yoruba Studies
- Professional Diploma in Oral Health
Undergraduate Degree Programmes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing Science
Postgraduate Degree Programmes
- Executive Master’s in Information Technology
- Executive Master’s in Public Administration
- Executive Master’s in Public Health
- Executive Master’s in Technology Management
- Executive Master’s in Real Estate
- Executive Master’s in Environmental Management
- Executive Master’s in Actuarial Science
- Executive Masters in Managerial Psychology
- Executive Master of Technology in ICT Policy and Regulations
How to apply
- Create an account on our application portal
All applications for Distance Learning programmes are online. As such, you are expected to create an account on OAU Distance Learning portal and indicate the programme you are interested in as seen above.
- Pay the appropriate application fee
Unless otherwise stated, for most programmes, application fees are to be paid in designated banks (First Bank, Skye Bank, and UBA) on eTranzact network. Alternatively, you may also use your Interswitch enabled Debit or Credit Card to make payments directly on our Portal. Please, note that application fees are subject to a review as the occasion demands. Check application fees here.
- Complete your application form appropriately
Take your time to fill and complete the application form by logging in with the account you created. Ensure that you supply correct and accurate information during the application; failure to do so will affect your application. As the case may be, follow the instruction on uploading supporting documents carefully.
- After applying
After applying for a programme, you need to keep checking the website for relevant information pertaining to your application. You can create Google Alert to recieve updates in your mail box instead of checking the website for updates
Depending on the programme you applied for, check to see if you may be required to meet additional requirements such taking entrance examination, attending an interview or audition/screening before admission can be issued.