Last updated on June 14, 2020 by The Counselor
Top countries you can study without TOEFL/IELTS for International Students
For you to study abroad, especially in English speaking countries, you are required to have English Proficiency. Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
The international English language testing system (IELTS) is an English language exam that is required to be taken by international candidates considering studying in a country where English is the main language of communication.
The exam mainly measures the ability of test-takers to communicate in the four basic language skills – listening, reading, speaking, and writing. That is, IELTS assesses all of your English skills — Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking, and is designed to reflect how you will use English at study and at play, in your new life abroad.
IELTS exam is not a difficult one if you prepare very well. Albeit, if you fail, it can deter you from studying abroad and besides, not all universities accept the same IELTS score. So it is important you know the required IELTS score from your choice international institution.
No universities will explicitly tell you they don’t want a language test result and some universities provide an alternative test to IELTS. This is why the list of countries you can study without TOEFL/IELTS for International Students is really hard to find notwithstanding they do exist.
When I say countries, I do not mean that the entire universities in these countries accept an international student without IELTS but rather there are universities within these listed countries that accept international students without IELTS or make provision for alternatives.
List of countries you can study without TOEFL/IELTS
- Norway: Only students from South Africa in Africa are overlooked in the English language requirement
- China: English proficiency test such as IELTS/TOEFL is not required in the country. However, you need to satisfy the university’s demands, which is different according to the university.
- USA: Universities such as of University Colorado exempt countries like Botswana, Ghana, South Africa and Nigeria from the need for English proficiency. Students from these countries are NOT required to have TOEFL OR IELTS scores.
- German: There are some Universities in Germany where students do not require any IELTS scores if he or she has completed their previous education in English language. In that case, candidates require an MOI (medium of Instruction) to prove their language proficiency.
- Australia: Most universities in the country overlook IELTS/TOEFL but you have to meet certain requirements such as English as secondary school instruction.
- France: France has a range of English taught courses where students are not required to appear for the English proficiency test. Therefore, you can acquire France Student Visa without IELTS.