Last Updated on
Below are the requirements for collection/replacement of NYSC certificate of exemption.
In accordance with the National Youth Service Corps Decree 1993 section 2 subsection (1) it is stipulated that;
“With effect from 1st August 1985, a person shall NOT be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification” :
He/She is over the age of thirty (30) years
- He has served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
- He is a member of the staff of any of the following:
- The Nigerian Security Organization or
- The State Security Service, or
- The National Intelligence Agency or
- The Defence Intelligence Service
- He has been conferred with any National Honour.
- These categories of persons are therefore exempted from service and issued with the Certificates of Exemption.
Eligibility for NYSC Certificates of Exemption
Nigerian Graduates either home or overseas trained who have the stipulated qualification of (B.SC, B.A or HND) from approved or accredited Institution by (NUC, NTBE or NCCE) are eligible for Exemption Certificate, however, foreign-trained graduates must submit their Certificates at the Mobilization Department for Evaluation.
How to Get NYSC Certificate of Exemption or Replacement
For home Trained Graduate, the process begins from the Corps Producing Institutions.
- The tertiary institutions attended. The School submits the master list of their graduates alongside with the Senate approved result to NYSC.
- A print-out is processed by NYSC classifying those to be called up for service and those to be exempted. This print-out is sent back to the Institutions for verifications and corrections after which they are returned to NYSC as an agreed/corrected document.
- With the print-out, NYSC Certificates of Exemption are produced, documented and sent back to the Institutions for issuance to the appropriate persons.
Please note: Collection of NYSC Certificate of Exemption for home trained graduates is only done in the Institution of graduation and not in NYSC office.
For Foreign Trained Graduate, the process begins with the evaluation of credentials and other related documents i.e. International passport.
- After the evaluation of credentials, the foreign-trained graduate is then registered and this is physically done at the NYSC directorate headquarters, Abuja. It is at the point of registration that the classification of who to be called-up or who to be exempted; is determined.
- NYSC Certificates of Exemption are therefore produced for those exempted from service.
- NYSC Certificates of Exemption for foreign graduates are to be collected at the NYSC directorate headquarters at the stipulated time communicated.
- Collection of NYSC Certificate of Exemption is grouped under the three batches of the service year, depending on the date of registration. This equally would be communicated to exempted graduates at the point of registration.
- Collection of NYSC Certificate of Exemption is strict with identification such as International passport and the bearer MUST BE PHYSICALLY PRESENT.
How To Recover Loss NYSC Certificate of Exemption
In the case of loss of NYSC Certificate of Exemption, the following steps are to be taken.
For Home Trained Graduates
- A letter of notification/request routed through the Institution of graduation and addressed to the Director-General, NYSC.
- Police Extract/Report
- Court Affidavit
- Where available, a copy of the lost Certificate of Exemption
For Foreign Trained Graduates
- A letter of notification/request addressed to the Director-General, NYSC.
- Police Extract/Report
- Court Affidavit
- Photocopy of International passport
- Where available, the copy of the lost Certificate of Exemption
- It is the policy of the Scheme not to reprint lost or burnt Certificates. Letters of Confirmation are issued instead
Like Fatherprada on Facebook
- A Complete Guide to NYSC Orientation Camp and PPA
- Nigeria Christian Corpers Fellowship (NCCF) History
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers On NYSC CDS
- Premium: NYSC PPA Allowee Clearance Letter Sample
- NYSC Monthly Allowance Clearance Letter Samples
- All About NYSC CDS Community Development Service
- Inside a Typical NCCF Family House