What Business Management course is all about, the objectives, course outlines and career opportunities…
It is not enough to know the required subject combination in O level or A level – Admission requirement to study Business Management – That’s the mistake most students make… You ought to know what the Business Management course is all about and this is the main purpose of this page.
When you look all around your surroundings, it is business everywhere – Every human society has some sort of business activities but what does a business need in order to thrive How do you target your market, recruit the right people, deliver efficiently, and control cash flow Studying Business Management gives you an understanding of the modern business world, providing you with a solid skillset that is useful in working life, such as time management and teamwork and of course, excellent career prospects because it boosts your CV and your confidence.
Since industry and government now emphasize a professional approach to management, indicating the complexity of today’s decision-making processes. A degree in Business Management prepares you for management careers or advanced study.
This course provides you with a wide range of opportunities to develop your business skills. You learn how to analyse business problems and policies, and how to find solutions. True be told – Business Management is theoretical but thanks to Industrial work placement. You can apply this theoretical approach to real live business activities.
Why the study of Business Management
Every student have a reason or motive behind the decision to study any course but if you choose to study Business Management, you will be able to;
- Analyse, integrate and communicate complex information to facilitate management decision making.
- Collect, organize, and use data to meet organizational needs.
- Select appropriate topics for projects that reflect knowledge of the field of study and the appropriate audiences.
- Utilize knowledge base from coursework to analyse complex situations and problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to think clearly, analyse facts to draw conclusions, to support decision making.
- Apply theory and practice into solving organizational problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to translate knowledge into complex business environments.
- Demonstrate the ability to transition from planning to implementation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in various methods of Business Communications, including formal/informal, informative/persuasive, etc
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of terminology, theories, and practices in the major subject areas of Business, including Accounting, Law, Marketing, Human Resources, Management, Finance, Operations, Information Technology, Communications, Quantitative and Management.
Note: At the core of the Business Management coursework, there is an emphasis on leadership, entrepreneurial thinking and strategic vision, three of the most prized assets of any successful business leader and Also Personal Finance; Economic and financial strategies used to accumulate, manage and protect personal assets. Emphasizing income generation, expense reduction, investment selection, and wealth creation to meet future needs and goals.
Topics include investing (mutual funds, stocks, etc.), annuities, deferred savings, insurance, retirement planning, estate planning, and real estate finance. In fact, students of Business Management are prepared to understand the “big picture” rather than focus on highly specialized, often rapidly changing areas of study.
Such preparation is especially crucial for those who see themselves as leaders or who see themselves working in the world of business. Business Management requires an ability to think and act on one’s own with confidence that only comes from an ability to see and appreciate what most highly focused specialists cannot.
Some major courses under Business Management
- Introductory Accounting
- Managerial/Cost Accounting
- Personal Finance
- Introduction to Business
- Business Law
- Principles of Marketing
- Human Resource Management
- Principles of Management
- Business Communications and Research
- Corporate Finance
- Management Science
- Strategic Planning
Career Opportunities for Business Management
If you know what Business Management is all about without a glimpse of what you can do with the degree is like a Superman who can’t fly. With money and trade making the world go around, the possibilities for a business management graduate are almost endless.
Your CV/ Resume can penetrate the terrace of any business-oriented establishment. The relationship between business and information technology is a strong one, if you have some experience in the everyday use of computers then a position in a software/ I.T firm is secured. Jobs directly related to your degree include:
- Business analyst
- Supply chain manager
- Business development manager
- Chartered management accountant
- Corporate investment banker
- Data analyst
- Human resources officer
- Logistics and distribution manager
- Risk manager
- Forensic accountant
- Insurance underwriter
- Management consultant
- Marketing executive
- Retail manager
- Sales executive
- Project manager
Online Business Management degree
Do you know you can study Business Management online? There are many universities especially in the United States and the United Kingdom offer this course online. It is of great benefit to those who wish to study and at the same time working. Or those who wish to travel abroad to study but are constrained. Distance learning is great – go for it!
Admission requirements to study Business Management in Nigerians Universities
- Polytechnic: Business Administration and Management
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Office and Information Management
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Business Management – Under Administration
- Polytechnic: Office Technology and Management
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Business Management – Under Engineering
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Business Management/Management Science