This page contains official 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Biotechnology, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course?||Science student|
|Related courses||Biotechnology related courses|
|Number of universities||120|
Is Biotechnology a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Biotechnology is a good course in Nigeria with plenty of job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. A person working as a Biotechnologist in Nigeria typically earns around 245,000 NGN per month. Salaries range from 120,000 NGN to 720,000 NGN.
A Biotechnology degree is competitive and quite popular amongst students in secondary school. From our records, 120 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Biotechnology, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Biotechnology and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Biotechnology
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before gaining admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Biotechnology are:
- English Language
- Civic Education
- Further Mathematics
- Any Nigerian Language
- A trade subject
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Biotechnology, don’t give up. You should consider other Biotechnology similar courses or look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read valuable guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Biotechnology
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 200 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Biotechnology. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Biotechnology is:
- English Language
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
List of Universities offering Biotechnology in Nigeria
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Ondo State University of Medical Sciences (OSUMS)
- University of Uyo
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Covenant University Ota
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Chrisland University
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science & Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Ekiti State University
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe
- Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Okija
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Veritas University, Abuja,
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ekiti State University
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Obong University
Biotechnology Course description:
Biotechnology means any technological application that uses biological systems or living organisms to make or modify products or processes for specific use. It refers to the use of microorganisms such as bacteria, yeasts, or biological substances such as enzymes, to perform specific industrial or manufacturing processes. Applications include the production of certain drugs, synthetic hormones, and bulk foodstuffs as well as bioconversion of organic waste.
Biotechnology is concerned with a variety of subjects including Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Chemistry and Engineering. Biotechnology has wide areas of application in Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, development of Medicines and Vaccines, treatment of prolonged disease, pollution control and waste management and ecological conservation, energy production and conservation and many more.
Bio-Tech Engineers involve the use of medical processes such as getting organisms to produce new drugs or using stem cells to regenerate damaged human tissues and re-grow entire organs. They also involve industrial processes such as the production of new chemicals or the development of new preservatives that can be used for food storage.
Bio-Tech Engineers deal with medical devices, and instruments used in hospitals & medical labs.
Bio-Tech Engineers also deal with bioinformatics which involves the use of applied mathematics, informatics, statistics, computer science, artificial intelligence, chemistry, and biochemistry.
Biotechnology experts develop hybrid plants and involve such processes as the development of pest-resistant grains or the accelerated evolution of disease-resistant animals.
Where can I work with a Degree in Biotechnology?
A biotechnologist may find jobs in various quarters Students can explore job options in the following fields:
- Drug and pharmaceutical research
- Public funded laboratories
- Environment control
- Waste management
- Food processing industries
- Bio-processing industries
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Biotechnology course
As you can see, more than one University offers Biotechnology. This means the cut-off mark for Biotechnology varies. You can check these universities’ JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Biotechnology is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Biotechnology is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study the Biotechnology degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Biotechnology for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Biotechnology is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Biotechnology is under the Faculty/School/College of Science
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Biotechnology?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study Biotechnology at the university because it is a pure science course which needs a good background in science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Biotechnology is through GCE.
Learn more about Biotechnology
Further Reading on Biotechnology Degree