WAEC and JAMB subject combination for Common Law

Last Updated on

WAEC and JAMB subject combination for Common Law
Rate this post

This page contains official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Common Law, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.



  • JAMB officially classified this course under Faculty/School/College of Law.
  • Probable Degree type – LLB. (HONS)

You must be a Commercial student or Art student with a good background Commercial subjects for you to study this course in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.  That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!


I hope you’re not considering this course because it is “COMMON”. This course runs deep and uncodified. Have you considered other options such as LawPublic and Private and International Law and and Civil Law  I’ll advice you to go through many options as possible.


WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Common Law

You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Common Law in Nigeria universities. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE. So now, the O level requirement that is the compulsory WAEC subject combination for Common Law are:

  1. English Language
  2. Literature in English
  3. Mathematics If you don’t have credit in Mathematics, Click here
  4. A Trade Subjects


When I mentioned uncodified. I means that there is no comprehensive compilation of legal rules and statutes. While common law does rely on some scattered statutes, which are legislative decisions, it is largely based on precedent, meaning the judicial decisions that have already been made in similar cases. These precedents are maintained over time through the records of the courts as well as historically documented in collections of case law known as yearbooks and reports. The precedents to be applied in the decision of each new case are determined by the presiding judge. As a result, judges have an enormous role in shaping the face of law.

Common law functions as an adversarial system, a contest between two opposing parties before a judge who moderates. A jury of ordinary people without legal training decides on the facts of the case. The judge then determines the appropriate sentence based on the jury’s verdict.


JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Common Law

Prepare yourself well so you can score above 200 in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just an advice) because anything short of this score may deny you Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic

Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) to study Common Law are

  • Literature-in-English
  • Any two other Arts/or Social Science subjects.


Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Common Law

(i) Two ‘A’ Level passes in GCE/IJMB in Arts or Social Science subjects.
(ii) First Degree (Second Class Lower) of an accredited University.
(iii) Diploma (Upper Grade) in Law


If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with this admission requirement that is the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider taking a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider

  • The Fees
  • The Distance
  • The Environment
  • The Degree Certificate
  • Vulnerability to Strike
  • Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
  • Academic Calendar

See useful guides on how to choose a course and university

List of Universities in Nigeria offering Common Law

  •  University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)


Special Consideration

Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar…

Special Consideration

What is Direct Entry Special Consideration to Common Law
(i) University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) accepts passes in the following:- (a) HND (excluding Secretarial Studies); (b) ACIS;. (c) LL.B (UNIVERSITY OF LONDON) (d) Two-year Diploma in Law of an accredited Government Institution with at least Upper Credit grade. (e) A’ level pass in English Literature may be considered in lieu of O’level requirement in Literature-in-English (f) Degree holders need not possess Literature-in-English. (g) Where a Diploma is of four grades:- Distinction, Credit, Merit and Pass – Credit grade is accepted for Direct Admission.

What is WAEC, NECO, GCE Special Consideration to Common Law:
(i) University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) requires Literature-in-English plus any two subject

Would kindly like Fatherprada on Facebook

See also:

Search here


Hey! — I’m sorry to bother you. If you like Fatherprada’s website, would you please recommend with one click away.

If you want Fatherprada's counsel, visit the homepage and select I'm a Student or I'm a Graduate