Last Updated on
This page contains official 2019/2020 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Computer Science, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this couse||Science student|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Computer Science related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Computer Science. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background science subjects for you to study Computer Science in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Computer Science
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Computer Science in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Computer Science must include:
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Computer Science. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Computer Science, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Computer Science
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Computer Science that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Computer Science. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Computer Science must include:
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Computer Science
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Computer Science, you are expected to have;
(i) Two A/L passes in science subjects including Mathematics
(ii) NCE with at least Merit in Mathematics and one other Science or Social Science subject.
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Computer Science, don’t give up. You should consider other Computer Science similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Computer Science in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chrisland University
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Covenant University Ota, Covenant University Ota
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe (FUUmar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Kashere Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI), University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Novena University, Ogume,
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Computer Science. Listen, there is no such thing as best universities or top universities to study Computer Science in Nigeria. Nobody has that information. Although recommendations are allowed, don’t be deceived by the word “best”. Read why you should stop looking for the best University in Nigeria
Course Description for Computer Science: Now that you know the WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB and Direct Entry Subject combination for Computer Science, it is good we take a look at the brief description to help you decide if this course is worth studying in Nigeria Universities. Computer Science is the study of the theory, experimentation, and engineering that form the basis for the design and use of computer systems. It can also be defined as the study of automating algorithmic processes. A computer scientist specializes in the theory of computation and the design of computational systems.
Its fields can be divided into a variety of theoretical and practical disciplines. Some fields, such as computational complexity theory (which explores the fundamental properties of
computational and intractable problems), are highly abstract, while fields such as computer graphics emphasize real-world visual applications. Other fields still focus on challenges in implementing computation.
For example, programming language theory considers various approaches to the description of computation, while the study of computer programming itself investigates various aspects of the use of programming language and complex systems. Human-computer interaction considers the challenges in making computers and computations useful, usable, and accessible to humans.
If you have credit on the core subject combination for Computer Science, then I urge to go for the course due to its numerous benefits such as;
- Solving problems & improving solutions
We all know that technology can help solve problems, but it can also improve solutions. Our society is constantly seeking ways to do things faster, more directly or just plain better, and computer scientists help make this happen. Most of these are enabled by software, which requires computer scientists to create, maintain and continue to improve.
- Protecting people & organizations
Most medium-sized and large organizations leave a digital footprint, which means they also need digital protection. Even individuals making purchases online and storing important information on their home computers, phones and tablets need to be assured that their information is safe.
- Furthering education
Computer software and the Internet has elevated education to a higher level. Whether you’re taking a class online, researching for a paper, computer scientists have made this possible. And now Computer Science is leading the way in bringing quality education into spaces and communities that were previously underserved.
Where can I work with a Degree in Computer Science
- Software Developers: Software developers are professionals who are concerned with facets of the software development process which involves activities such as design and coding, computer programming, project management, etc.
- Hardware Engineers: These professionals do research, design, develop, test, and oversee the installation of computer hardware which inter alia includes computer chips, circuit boards, systems, modems, keyboards, and printers.
- System Designer: Professionals involved in system designing, Logical & Physical Designing wherein logical designing can be enumerated as the structure & characteristics such as output, input, files, database & procedures, etc.
- System Analyst: Computer engineers who work as systems analyst do research about the existing problems and plan solutions for the problem. They also recommend software and system related problems and coordinate development between business development teams.
- Networking Engineers: Networking engineers are computer professionals involved in designing, implementation, and troubleshooting of computer networks.
- DBA: DBA or Database Administrators are the professionals who are bestowed with the job to design, implement, maintain, and repair an organization’s database. Inter alia DBA professionals are also known as Database Coordinator or Database Programmer in IT sector.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Computer Science course
As you can see, more than one University offers Computer Science. This means the cut-off mark for Computer Science varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Computer Science is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Computer Science is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Computer Science at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Computer Science for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Computer Science is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Computer Science is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Computer Science?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot Computer Science at the university because it is a pure science course which need a good background on science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Computer Science is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Computer Science in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Computer Science below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Computer Science had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Industrial Mathematics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Computer Science and Mathematics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Geography – Under Science
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Biological Science
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Fisheries – Under Science
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Applied Geophysics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Zoology
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Applied Botany
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Statistics
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Industrial Physics