This page contains 2023 official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Computer Science, including the List of Nigeria Polytechnics Offering this Course, and much more
|Duration||ND 2 Years, HND 2 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Computer Science. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background Science subjects for you to study Computer Science in Nigeria Polytechnics, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is the O level / WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria Polytechnics. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Polytechnics, we have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Computer Science
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Computer Science in Nigeria polytechnics. This subject combination is also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The required WAEC subject combination (O level requirement) for Computer Science must include:
Mathematics, a basic science and three other subjects chosen from the following: Economics, Geography, Government/History, Further Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science. English Language, Typewriting, A credit passes in English Language and Physics are compulsory
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Computer Science. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Computer Science, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Computer Science
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Computer Science that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 150 so that you can easily gain admission into any Polytechnics. Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– English Language is compulsory. If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Computer Science. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree!..
Mathematics and any two of Geography, Physics, Economics or Chemistry.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Computer Science, don’t give up. You should consider other Computer Science similar courses or take a look College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which Polytechnics to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and polytechnics
These are the list of Polytechnics offering Computer Science:
- Abraham Adesanya Polytechnic, Ogun State Nigeria
- Abia State Polytechnic
- Abia State College of Health Sciences and Management Technology (ACHTECH)
- Abdul-Gusau Polytechnic, Zamfara State
- Akwa Ibom State College of Arts and Science (AKCAS)
- Mai Idris Alooma Polytechnic, Yobe State (ALOOMA)
- Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic, Bauchi State
- Auchi Polytechnic
- Bayelsa State College of Arts and Science (BYCAS)
- Benue State Poly, Benue State. (BEN-POLY)
- Bolmor Polytechnic, Ibadan
- Ibadan City Polytechnic
- Covenant Polytechnic
- Crown Polytechnic, Ekiti State
- College of Technology, Osun State.
- S. Adegbenro ICT Polytechnic, Itori, Ogun State
- Dorben Polytechnic
- Eastern Polytechnic, Rivers State
- FCAPT-Saadatu Rimi College of Education, Kumbotso
- Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti
- Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechic, Unwana
- Federal Polytechnic, Bali
- Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi
- Federal Polytechnic, Bida
- Federal Polytechnic Damaturu, Yobe State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ede, Osun State
- Federal Polytechnic, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State
- Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State
- Federal Polytechnic, Idah Kogi State
- Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State
- Federal Polytechnic, Mubi, Adamawa State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Kaura/Namoda, Zamfara State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Nassarawa, Nassarawa State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Owerri, Imo State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ile-Oluji, Ondo State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Anambra State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ukana Akwa Ibom State
- Fidei Polytechnic, Benue State
- Ogun State Institute of Technology (OGITECH)
- Gboko Polytechnic, Benue State.
- Global Polytechnic, Ondo State
- Grace Polytechnic, Lagos
- Heritage Polytechnic, Akwa Ibom State
- The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State (The Polytechnic, Ibadan)
- Igbajo Polytechnic, Osun State
- The Polytechnic, Igbo-Owu, Kwara State.
- The Polytechnic, Ile-Ife, Osun State
- Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo, Imo State
- Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu State (IMT-ENU)
- Interlink Polytechnic, Osun State
- Jigawa State Polytechnic
- Jigawa State Institute of Information Technology, Kazaure Jigawa State
- Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna (KAD-POLY)
- Kalac Christal Polytechnic, Lagos State
- Kano State Polytechnic
- Hassan Usman Katsina Poly, Katsina State.
- Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic, Jigawa State. (KAZAURE)
- Kings Polytechnic, Ubiaja Edo State
- Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja
- Kwara State Polytechnic
- Lagos City Polytechnic, Ikeja, Lagos State
- Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu (LASPOTECH)
- Lens Polytechnic, Kwara State.
- Light House Polytechnic, Edo State
- Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MAPOLY)
- Marist Polytechnic, Enugu State.
- NACABS Polytechnic, Akwanga
- Nigeria Army Institute of Technology and Environmental Studies, Benue State (NAITES)
- Nasarawa State Polytechnic (NASPOTEC)
- Nigerian Institute of Leather Technology and Science Technology
- Nogak Polytechnic, Cross River State.
- Delta State Polytechnic, Delta State.
- The Oke-Ogun Polytechnic
- Our Saviour Institute of Science and Technology (Poly) Enugu State
- Osun State Polytechnic (OSUNPOLY)
- Osun State College of Tech, Esa-Oke (OSUNTECH)
- Delta State Polytechnic, Otefe
- Oyo State College of Agriculture and Technology, Oyo State
- Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro
- Plateau State Polytechnic, Barkin-Ladi
- The Polytechnic, Imesi-Ile, Osun State
- Umar Ali Shinkafi Polytechnic, Sokoto
- Adamawa State Polytechnic
- Prime Polytechnic, Kogi State.
- Ramat Polytechnic
- Port Harcourt Polytechnic
- Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic, Rivers State
- RONIK Polytechnic, Lagos.
- Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Ondo State. (RUGIPO)
- Gateway ICT Polytechnic, Saapade, Ogun
- Shaka Polytechnic. Edo State
- Mary Polytechnic, Niger State
- Sure Foundation Polytechnic, Akwa Ibom State
- The Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa,Oyo State. (TIPE)
- Temple-Gate Polytechnic, Abia
- Tower Polytechnic Oyo State.
- Trinity Polytechnic, Akwa Ibom State
- Edo State Institute of Technology and Management, Usen
- Uyo City Polytechnic, Akwa Ibom State
- Valley View Polytechnic, Ohafia, Abia State
- Wolex Polytechnic Lagos.
- Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic Kebbi State.
- Yaba College of Technology, Yaba, Lagos State (YABATECH)
- Zamfara State College of Arts and Science
- Niger State Polytechnic, Zungeru, Niger State
Can a commercial or art student study Computer Science?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study study Computer Science at the polytechnic because it is a pure science course which need a good background in science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Computer Science in polytechnics. But note this — Some Polytechnics may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Computer Science below if available.
Polytechnic Special Consideration/waiver for Computer Science
1) Adamawa State Polytechnic Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu State (IMT-ENU) and Abia State Polytechnic accept a pass in Physics.
2) Port Harcourt Polytechnic require five credits to include Physics, English Language, Mathematics, plus any two of Statistics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Economics and Biology. Yaba College of Technology, Yaba, Lagos State (YABATECH) requires the credits at not more than two sittings.
3) Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic, Rivers State and Abdul-Gusau Polytechnic, Zamfara State require a credit in English.
4) Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic, Kaduna State. does not accept Geography and Economics as UTME subjects.
5) LASPOTEC requires at least a pass in Physics, credits in Mathematics and a social science subject.
7) The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State (The Polytechnic, Ibadan) does not accept Geography as UTME subject. Does not accept Government, History and Food & Nutrition as course requirements.
8) Yaba College of Technology, Yaba, Lagos State (YABATECH) require five credits to Five (5) credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Physics and any two (2) of the followings subjects at not more than two sittings: Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Economics, Biology/Agric. Science, Geography, Government/History.
9) Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna (KAD-POLY) – requires credits in Mathematics and a social science, the two other subjects should include Physics/a basic science and at least a pass in Eng. Lang. Food & Nutrition is not acceptable.
10) Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti requires a pass in English Language and four credits in Mathematics, Physics and two subjects from the social Sciences and one from the Science.
11) Lagos City Polytechnic, Ikeja, Lagos State accepts credit in Chemistry in lieu of credit in Physics.
12) FEDPOBAU, Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti offer the course as Computer Studies.
13) FEDPOFFA requires credits in Chemistry and one of Basic Elect/Elect., Additional Mathematics and Technical Drawing.
14) Osun State Polytechnic, Iree does not accept History and Food and Nutrition as Course requirements.
15) Federal Polytechnic, Ede, Osun State expects the two other subjects from the following: Chemistry, Economics, Geography, ICT/Data Processing, Government/History, Further Mathematics and Biology/Agric. Science.
17) Igbajo Polytechnic, Osun State accepts five Credit passes in Eng. Lang, Chemistry, Physics and any other two subjects from the following: Mathematics, Bio/Agric, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Economics at not more than two sittings.
18) FEDPONEK and FIDEIPLOY require credit passes in Mathematics, Physics, English Language and two other subjects from Statistics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Economics/Commerce, Biology/Agric. Science, government/History, Technical Drawing, Information Communication Technology.
19) KWAPOLY requires a Credit pass in Physics and does not accept Government/History and Typewriting as Course requirements. Accepts Credit passes in Food & Nutrition in lieu of Agricultural Science/ Biology as Course requirement.
20) Federal Polytechnic, Kaura/Namoda, Zamfara State. accepts candidates TC Grade II Certificate, Federal Craft Certificate, City and Guides, Intermediate) with credit in English Language and Mathematics and any other three relevant subjects from Physics, Biology/Agric. Sci. and Chemistry, Pass in Woodwork, Metal work, Technical Drawing or Arts will be an advantage or other qualification acceptable to the Polytechnic
21) Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Ondo State. (RUGIPO) either credit pass in English Language or pass in Chemistry is accepted or vice versa.
22) FCAT–Saadatu Rimi College of Education, Kumbotso accepts Four credit passes in an NBTE recognized Preliminary National Diploma (at credit level) course offered in a Polytechnic or similar post-secondary technical institution. The credit passes must include Mathematics, Physics, English Language and any other subject.
24) Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic, Rivers State accepts Mathematics, Physics and any one of Further Mathematics, Economics or Chemistry as UTME subjects.
25) Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi does not accept Geography, and Physics, Mathematics as Core subjects.
26) Nogak Polytechnic, Cross River State. accepts a pass in English Language and credit passes in Mathematics, Physics and any two from Social Sciences.
27) IMO POLY: Requires five credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, A basic science and any two other subjects from the following: Economics, statistics, geography, Government/History, Further Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Agric Science, and Typewriting. At least a pass in physics is compulsory.
28) FECOFOR-JOS requires Five O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any two of Chemistry, Biology, Geography, and Economics as course requirement.
29) Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MAPOLY) requires four credits passes in one sittings or five credits in not more than two sittings to include credit in Mathematics and English Language, Physics/Basic Electricity/Electronics and any other subject(s) from the following: Chemistry/Biology/Agric. Science/Food & Nutrition, Computer Studies/Data Processing, Economics/Commerce, Geography, Further Mathematics.
30) FEDWILD-NBUS – requires Passes in English Language and Physics are compulsory. Credit passes in Mathematics and three other subjects chosen from the following – Economics, Geography, Government/History, Further Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Agric. Science, English Language, Typewriting.
31) FCLT-OWER requires credit pass in Mathematics and Physics and pass in any other Science subjects.
32) Oyo State College of Agriculture and Technology, Oyo State requires five O’ level credit passes to include Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Biology/Agricultural Science and any other one from Chemistry, Further Mathematics, Geography, Economics and Type-writing.
33) Akwa Ibom State College of Arts and Science (AKCAS) requires credit passes in Mathematics, Physics/Chemistry/Biology and any other two subjects from Agricultural Science, Further Mathematics, Statistics, Technical Drawing, Physics, Chemistry and a pass in English Language.
34) FEDANIM-VOM requires five credit passes to include Mathematics, English Language, a Basic Science, two other subjects from the subject listed. At least a pass in Physics is also required.
35) Osun State Polytechnic, Iree accepts credit passes in ICT/Data Processing/Computer Studies.
1) Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna (KAD-POLY) requires Mathematics, Physics and any two from Social or Physical Sciences.
2) FEDAMIN-IBD requires Mathematics and any two from Geography, Biology/Agricultural Science, Economics or Chemistry.
3) FECOFOR-JOS accepts either of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Economics, Biology or Geography. 4) Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu State (IMT-ENU) requires Physics.
5) Federal Polytechnic, Nassarawa, Nassarawa State. Mathematics, Physics and any one of Biology, Chemistry or Geography/Economics.
6) Federal Polytechnic Damaturu, Yobe State. requires Mathematics, Physics and any one of Geography, Economics or Chemistry
Is “College of Technology, Osun State” a Poly or College
Ondo City Polytechnic also offered Computer Science. The Polytechnic had been licensed by federal government and available on Jamb. Please enlist the Polytechnic among Polytechnic that offered Computer Science. You can visit http://www.odcitypoly.com.ng for details about the school.