This page contains official 2020/2021 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Economics, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Course||Economics – Under Social Science|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Art and Commercial Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Economics related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Economics. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a Commercial student or an Art student with a good background Commercial subjects for you to study Economics in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Economics
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Economics in Nigeria universities. This subject combination is also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Economics must include:
- English Language
- Any two of Arts or Social Science subjects
- A trade subject
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Economics. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study this course, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Economics
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Economics that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– English Language is compulsory. If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Economics. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree!..
- Any of Government, History, Geography, Lit-in English, French and CRK/IRK
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Economics – Under Social Science
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for this course, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes in Economics and any one of Mathematics, Statistics, Geography Physics, Chemistry, Agric Science, Accounting, Business Management, History and Government
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study this course, don’t give up. You should consider other Economics similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Economics under social science in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University
- The American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chrisland University
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Covenant University Ota
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene Akwa Ibom
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University,
- Southwestern University
- Oku Owa, Summit University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Economics. Listen, I don’t encourage such but if you’re bent on knowing the best universities or top universities to study Economics in Nigeria, Check here
Course description: Economics is not the study of how to make money. It is the social science of which factors determine the production and distribution of goods and services in a consumer, capitalist society. Economics affects everything in our lives – what we earn, how we work, where we learn, what we eat; the list goes on and on. An understanding of price, supply and demand can only be beneficial.
Where can I work with a Degree in Economics
Job areas Economics students include chartered accountant, economist, risk analyst, investment banking, statistics, actuary work, civil service, diplomatic services, local and national government, and quantity surveyor.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Economics course
As you can see, more than one University offers Economics. This means the cut-off mark for Economics varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Economics is a good course and you can also check the top best commercial courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Economics is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Economics is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Economics is under the Faculty/School/College of Social and Management Studies but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or art student study Economics?
Yes! If you are a Science, Commercial or an Art student, you can study Economics at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Economics is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Economics in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Economics below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Economics had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Fatherprada tries as much as possible to provide you with correct and up to date information. If you find any pieces of misinformation or require additional details please feel free to use the comment.