Last Updated on
Universities offering Optometry
So you want to study Optometry…. This means you’re a science student but do have have what it takes? I mean it is not enough to know the list of Nigerian Universities that offers Optometry. You need to know the WAEC subject that you need to study Optometry as well as the JAMB subjects. This the first steps toward studying Optometry in Nigeria universities. You will need other documents too for pre screening and Matriculation screening.
Your JAMB score, Post UTME score and WAEC Grade will be calculated and the aggregate score is what determine if you qualify to study Optometry. Moreover, those who got their O level result in one sitting have a better chance of getting admission to study Optometry than those using two sitting.
Do you know that Optometry is one of the most popular courses in Nigeria and very competitive in the university. Competitiveness means many students want to gain admission to study this course.
Once a course is competitive, it simply means certain measures are put in place to make sure they limit the number of students they can admit. Such limitation includes high jamb cut off mark, a limited number of admissible students, strict subject combinations etc.
But what is so special about this course… Let me give you a little info about Optometry before you go through the list of universities that offers Optometry. This course is for students who would like to train as an optician, while also gaining a degree with a strong focus on practical working experience. In a competitive job market, Optometry leads to a secure and rewarding career, helping people regain and restore their sight.
A student who studies this course is equipped with detailed knowledge on how to diagnose, treat and manage the human eyes when abnormalities arise. The student will learn various diseases of the eyes, the structures including the attributes of light, the Optometry of the eye and the processing of vision in the brain. Optometrist and Optician are the same.
You also ought to know which department the course belongs to. Optometry course can be studied under Science Faculty and also Faculty of Medicine. While the latter will be science oriented, the former will focus on Medical approach. Can you see now? Same course but a different approach. Below is a comprehensive list of higher institutions in Nigeria offering Optometry.
Courses related to Optometry
Use the search box below to get information about these courses
- Nursing/Nursing Science
- Medicine and Surgery
Here are the list of universities that offers Optometry in Nigeria:
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Bayero University, Kano Click to read conditions
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) Click to read conditions
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- 40 Universities that offers Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria
- 8 Universities that offers Information Technology in Nigeria
- 6 Universities that offers Building Technology in Nigeria
- Universities that offer Cyber Security Science in Nigeria
- 5 Universities that offers Fine Art in Nigeria
- 4 Universities that offers Archaeology in Nigeria
- 15 Universities that offers Music in Nigeria
- Universities in Nigeria that offer Neurosurgery
- 17 Universities that offers Fisheries in Nigeria
- 13 Universities that offers Fisheries and Aquaculture in Nigeria