This page contains 2023 WAEC and JAMB subject combination for Industrial Design, including the List of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more
|Qualification||B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech.|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
Is Industrial Design a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Industrial Design is a good course in Nigeria though with limited job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. Industrial Designer salaries in Nigeria range from 185,000 NGN to 540,000 NGN per month
An Industrial Design degree is competitive and quite popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 7 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Industrial Design, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Industrial Design and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Industrial Design
In WAEC, NECO or GCE, you are expected to register a maximum of 9 subjects for an Industrial Design degree. You can register for less than 9 subjects if you are resitting.
However, you must have at least 5 credit passes amongst the 9 subjects listed below before you can gain admission into any Nigerian university to study for an Industrial Design degree.
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before gaining admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Industrial Design are:
- English Language
- Fine Art
- Geography/Further Mathematics
- Technical Drawing
- A Trade subject
- Spinning; Weaving; Surface Design and Printing; Bleaching, Dyeing and Finishing; Ceramics; Graphic Design; Graphic Printing; Decorative Painting, Spray Painting, Lining, Sign & Design, Wall Hanging, Colour Mixing/Matching and Glazing, Building/Engineering Drawing, General Wood Work.
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Industrial Design, don’t give up. You should consider other Industrial Design similar courses or look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read valuable guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Industrial Design
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 220 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Industrial Design. You can still gain admission if you score between 190-200 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Industrial Design is:
- Fine Art/Physics
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Industrial Design
- ‘A’ level passes in Two of Fine Arts, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.
- ND in Industrial Design or Glass Technology or Fine Art at Credit level
List of Universities offering Industrial Design in Nigeria
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
Industrial Design is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Industrial Design is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Industrial Design is under the Faculty of Engineering but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Industrial Design?
No! Industrial Design is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art students. But if you have the required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subject combination for Industrial Design is through GCE.
Special consideration (waiver) for Industrial Design
- Federal University of Technology, Akure requires five credit at the West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (WASSSCE) or NECO or GCE O’Level or its equivalent in NOT more than two sittings in the following subjects: English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, and 2 of the following: Economics, Physics, Technical Drawing, Fine Art and Geography. Credit or Pass in Fine Art will be an additional advantage, while a pass grade in Physics will be acceptable.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY) requires Chemistry, Geography, Technical Drawing, Fine Art/Creative Art.
- Bauchi State University, Gadau requires five O’ level credit English Language, Mathematics, any two from Fine Arts, Building Construction, Engineering Drawing and one of Chemistry, Physics, Agricultural Science or Geography.
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH) requires five credit to include English Language, Mathematics and other from Arts or Social Science subjects. Fine Arts will be an added advantage.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria requires five “O” level credit in English Language, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and any other subject.
Further Reading on Industrial Design Degree
Respect am an art student so how can I cope with industrial design
Pls am confused
Can I study art n industrial design……
Coz I want to become an art student compromising of drawing ,acting
This is a science course