This page contains 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combination for Food Science and Technology, including the List of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more
|Course||Food Science and Technology|
|Qualification||B. Agric. (B.Sc. (Hons.) B. Tech. (Hons.) B. Agric. Tech.) DVM|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
Is Food Science and Technology a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Food Science and Technology is a good course in Nigeria with plenty of job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. Food Technologist salaries in Nigeria range from 90,500 NGN per month to 370,000 NGN per month.
A Food Science and Technology degree is competitive and very popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 34 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Food Science and Technology, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Food Science and Technology and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Food Science and Technology
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before gaining admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Food Science and Technology are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Agricultural Science
- Geography/Further Mathematics
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Food Science and Technology, don’t give up. You should consider other Food Science and Technology similar courses or look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read valuable guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Food Science and Technology
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 200 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Food Science and Technology. You can still gain admission if you score between 170-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Food Science and Technology is:
- Biology/Agricultural Science
These are the list of Universities offering Food Science and Technology in Nigeria
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Crawford University Igbesa
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo.
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Mountain Top University
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Igbinedion University Okada
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
Food Science and Technology is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Food Science and Technology is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, this course is under the Faculty of Agriculture but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Food Science and Technology
No! Food Science and Technology is a science course and not suitable for commercial or art students. But if you have the required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subjects combination for Food Science and Technology is through GCE.
Special Consideration (Waiver) to study Food Science and Technology
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) and University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) accept a pass in English Language.
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) accepts a pass in Mathematics. Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT) also accepts a pass in Physics.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) requires credits in five (5) subjects at not more than two sittings in the Senior School Certificate Examination or its equivalent. The subjects must include: English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Biology (Botany or Zoology) or Agricultural Science and any other science subject.
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi accepts Physics, Biology or Agric. Science.
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) accepts a credit pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
- Federal University of Technology, Minna – Same as in Water Resources, Aquaculture and fisheries Technology.
- Kogi State University Anyigba and Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki require five Credit passes to include Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology or Agric. Science, Physics and English Language.
- Bells University of Technology, Otta, ESUT ECH and Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) accept a pass in Physics
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) requires a pass grade in Physics. University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) requires at least a pass in Biology for credit pass in Agric. Science or Food and Nutrition.
- University of Calabar (UNICAL), Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State and Abia State University, Uturu require five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agric. Sci and Physics.
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike requires five O level credit passes in not more two sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)AB and Federal University of Technology, Akure require five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Agricultural Science. Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB) does not accept Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi requires Five (5) SSC/WASC/GCE/NECO `O’ level or equivalent Credit passes (at not more than tow sittings) categorized as follows:- a) 5 credit passes in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology or Agricultural Science and English Language.
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI) – Same as in Agriculture.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY) requires credit passes in Chemistry, Physics/Further Mathematics and anyone from Biology/ Agric. Science/ Food and Nutrition.
Further Reading on Food Science and Technology Degree