Last Updated on
This page contains 2019/2020 official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Public Administration, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more
|Course||Public Administration under Administration|
|Qualification||B.Sc (Hons.) and B.A. (Hons)|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Commercial and Art Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Public Administration related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Public Administration. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a Commercial student or an Art student with a good background Commercial subjects for you to study Public Administration in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is the O level / WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Public Administration
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Public Administration in Nigeria universities. This subject combination is also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Public Administration must include:
- English Language,
- A trade subject
For NBC holders, the other relevant subjects could be from any of the following: Accounting, Principles of Accounts, Commerce, Office Practice and Secretarial Duties.
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Public Administration. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Public Administration, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Public Administration
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Public Administration that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Public Administration. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Public Administration must include:
- Economics and any other subject.
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Public Administration
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Public Administration under faculty of administration, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Economics, Accounting, Public Administration, Government, Geography and Statistics
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Public Administration, don’t give up. You should consider other Public Administration similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Public Administration – Under Administration in Nigeria
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Baze University
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) (offer course as Public Administration and Local Government)
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Public Administration. Listen, there is no such thing as best universities or top universities to study Public Administration in Nigeria. Nobody has that information. Although recommendations are allowed, don’t be deceived by the word “best”. Read why you should stop looking for the best University in Nigeria
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Public Administration course
As you can see, more than one University offers Public Administration. This means the cut-off mark for Public Administration varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Public Administration is a good course and you can also check the top best commercial courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Public Administration is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Public Administration is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Public Administration is under the Faculty of Administration but may be under a different faculty in some universities. Check Public Administration under Social Science.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or art student study Public Administration?
Yes! If you are a science, art or commercial student, you can comfortably study Public Administration at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Public Administration is through GCE.
Is Public Administration a Science, Social science or Art subject?
Many students ask this question… If Public Administration is a science, art or social science subject. Right now, I’ll give you a straight answer. Public Administration crosses the boundaries between the social sciences and Art/humanities. In Nigeria for example, Public Administration course is studied under the faculty of Administration. Read more on Social science subjects and art and humanities subjects for better explanations
What Public Administration course is all about
It is not enough to know the required subject combination in O level or A level – Admission requirement to study Public Administration – That’s the mistake most students make… You ought to know what Public Administration course is all about and this is the main purpose of this page.
This degree gives you the gateway to the world’s largest employer – the public sector. A public administration degree prepares students to manage public agencies, set budgets, and create government policies. These policies can be on diverse topics ranging from the environment to social issues. The degree focus on how these decisions are made and the processes for making the best decision for society. In addition, a public administration background will explain the most favourable way to implement policies and decisions once they have been made.
Public administration attempts to explain how decisions in government are made as well as administrating projects to carry out those decisions. A public administration degree prepares students for a career in government or non-profit work. Studying public administration can be an extremely rewarding experience for anyone looking to give back to their community by solving difficult problems.
The goals of public administration are to improve the equality, justice, security, efficiency, and effectiveness of public services, usually in a non-profit, non-taxable venue. A diverse background is required for the degree, with classes in public policy, management, sociology, and political theory. A public administrator manages public agencies, sets budgets, and creates government policies.
Objectives of Public Administration Degree
- Work well with others and with a demonstrated appreciation of individual differences and a sensitivity to diversity.
- Develop and demonstrate team building skills.
- Manage a team to analyse a problem and achieve a goal.
- To clearly communicate thoughts and ideas both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate the ability to present and evaluate ideas clearly in written form.
- Demonstrate the ability to present and evaluate ideas clearly in oral presentations.
- Analyse, integrate and communicate complex information to facilitate management decision making.
- Collect, organize, and use data to meet organization needs.
- Demonstrate critical thinking.
- Demonstrate problem solving, quantitative and qualitative.
- Apply theory and practice in solving organizational problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to transition from planning to implementation.
- Demonstrate a mastery of concepts and methods of use in the workplace.
These are the list of courses under Public Administration
- Introduction to Sociology
- Principles of Economics I
- Business Mathematics I
- General Studies Courses
- Communication in English I
- Communication in French
- Use of Library, Study Skills & ICT
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship Studies II
- Introduction to Public Administration
- Introduction to Psychology
- Computer Application
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Principles of Economics II
- Business Mathematics II
- Fundamental Philosophy
- Logic, Philosophy & Human Existence
- Communication in English II
- Communication in German
- Introduction to Political Science
- Introduction to Financial Accounting I
- Introduction to Cost and Management Accounting
- Introduction to Finance
- Introduction to Statistics I
- Fundamental Theology
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship Studies II
- History and Philosophy of Science
- Government and Politics
- Introduction to Financial Accounting II
- Introduction to Business
- Business Communication
- Social Psychology
- Introduction to Statistics II
- Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution
- Fundamental Ethics
- Principles, Theories and Practice of Public Administration
- Traditional Administrative Systems
- Development Administration
- Local Government Administration
- Administrative Law
- Organizational Behaviour
- Elements of Management
- Commercial Law
- Personnel Administration
- Elements of Government
- Traditional Administrative System
- Inter-Governmental Relations
- Organizational Behaviour
- Urban Administration
- Research Methods
- Project Management & Implementation
- Public Financial Management
- Public Enterprises Management
- Public Policy Analysis and Decision Making
- International Organizations and Institutions
- Organization and Administrative Theory
- Foreign Policy Analysis
- International Administration
- Government Budgeting and Budgeting Techniques
- Comparative Public Administration
- Social and Welfare Administration
- Democratic Studies
Reasons Why You Should Consider Public Administration
- The choice to work in a private or public sector
- Develop your leadership qualities
- The chance to hold important government positions
- The chance to hold a position in the news and entertainment field
- Decent starting salary
Where can I work with a Degree in Public Administration in Nigeria
Public Administration prepares graduates for careers in government and non-profit organizations, as well as in regulated businesses and as private government contractors. Potential roles include policy analyst, event manager, human resources consultant, ministerial advisor, project officer and social policy researcher. Graduates may enter such fields as policy analysis and advice, public administration, research, corporate communications, foreign affairs, intelligence, journalism, management, the parliamentary sector, and social analysis
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Public Administration in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Public Administration below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Public Administration had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Follow Fatherprada on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Local Government Administration
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Business Administration – Under Administration
- WAEC and JAMB Subjects for Public Relations and Advertising
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Mass Communication – Under Administration
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Economics – Under Administration
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Secretarial Administration
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Finance – Under Administration
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Actuarial Science – Under Administration
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Personnel Management
- Study International Relations and Strategic Studies