This page contains 2022 official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Public Administration, including the list of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more
|Course||Public Administration under Administration|
|Qualification||B.Sc (Hons.) and B.A. (Hons)|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Commercial and Art Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Public Administration related courses|
Is Public Administration a good course in Nigeria?
Absolutely. Public Administration is a good course with plenty of job roles you can explore. You are not limited to any specific career field. The salary range for people working in Nigeria in Public Administration, and Self-governance is typically from 102,482 NGN (minimum salary) to 205,217 NGN (highest average, the actual maximum salary is higher). There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job
Public Administration is competitive and very popular amongst commercial students in secondary school. From our records, 58 Nigerian universities offer this degree course though the degree name may be slightly different.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Public Administration, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Public Administration and the employment rate as mentioned below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore it.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Public Administration
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Public Administration are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Any Nigerian Language
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Public Administration, don’t give up. You should consider other Public Administration similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Public Administration
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. Moreso, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 190 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Public Administration Degree. You can still gain admission if you score between 170-180 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Public Administration are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Public Administration degree
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Public Administration under the faculty of administration, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Economics, Accounting, Public Administration, Government, Geography and Statistics
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Here is the list of universities offering Public Administration Degree in Nigeria.
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Veritas University, Abuja.
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
Public Administration Degree has a 55% admission rate.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Public Administration degree is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Public Administration is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Public Administration is under the Faculty of Administration but may be under a different faculty in some universities. Check Public Administration under Social Science.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Who can study Public Administration degree course?
Can science or art students study Public Administration at the university? By default, this course is meant for commercial students only. But the curriculum of this course allows students with art and science backgrounds to study it as long as they have the right O level subject combination for Public Administration.
This simply means, that even though you were a science student in secondary school, you can still qualify to study this course with the right O level subject for Public Administration.
Is a Public Administration degree a Science, Social science or Art subject?
Many students ask this question… If Public Administration is a science, art or social science subject. Right now, I’ll give you a straight answer. Public Administration crosses the boundaries between the social sciences and Art/humanities. In Nigeria for example, the Public Administration course is studied under the faculty of Administration. Read more on Social science subjects and art and humanities subjects for better explanations
Public Administration Degree Course Description
A public administration degree prepares students to manage public agencies, set budgets, and create government policies. These policies can be on diverse topics ranging from the environment to social issues. The degree focus on how these decisions are made and the processes for making the best decision for society. In addition, a public administration background will explain the most favourable way to implement policies and decisions once they have been made.
Public administration attempts to explain how decisions in government are made as well as administrating projects to carry out those decisions. A public administration degree prepares students for a career in government or non-profit work. Studying public administration can be an extremely rewarding experience for anyone looking to give back to their community by solving difficult problems.
Benefits of studying Public Administration
- You are given the ability to choose whether you work in the public or private sector. Non-profit organizations and governments both have career paths that include public administration.
- By holding the power to implement or recommend program changes, working in the public administration field have the ability to make a direct impact on your local, state and federal governments
- Political analysts for major news networks have often pursued careers in public administration. These careers help them understand the political field and allow them to provide analyses of the situations from a standpoint of someone who has worked in the industry.
- Whether working at the local, state or federal level pursuing a career in public administration will grant you access to amazing health benefits. Source
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Public Administration in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subjects instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (waiver) for Public Administration
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK), Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli and Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT) require ‘O’ level credits to include Mathematics.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria does not accept a combination of Local Languages and Religious Knowledge.
- Benue State University, Makurdi, University of Abuja, Gwagwalada and University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) require at least a pass in Mathematics.
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki – Same as in Accountancy.
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK) accepts two ‘A’ level or IJMB passes chosen from Accounts, Public Administration, Government and Statistics; NCE Government or ND Public Administration with at least lower credit.
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) requires a minimum entry requirement plus a credit level pass in English Language, Government or History and Mathematics at SSCE or GCE O’ level.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU) requires five credits in English Language, Mathematics and any 3 of Economics, Government/History and Geography at not more than 2 sittings.
- University of Benin (UNIBEN) requires five credits to include English Language, Mathematics, Economics/Commerce, Government/History and any other two Social Science subjects at not more than 2 sittings.
Further reading on Public Administration:
- Top Career Opportunities for Public Administration
- Top Courses Related to Public Administration
- List of Courses under Public Administration
- Required documents for admission to Nigeria
- How to gain admission easily to study Public Administration
- How to get scholarship updates to study for free.
- How to obtain a quick student loan