This page contains 2022 official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Banking and Finance Degree, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more
|Course||Banking and Finance Under Administration|
|Qualification||B.Sc (Hons.) and B.A. (Hons)|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Commercial and Art Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Banking and Finance related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
Is Banking and Finance a good course in Nigeria?
Absolutely. Banking and Finance is one of the oldest degrees in the world with plenty of job roles you can explore. You are not limited to any specific career field. A person working in Banking in Nigeria typically earns around 368,000 NGN per month. Salaries range from 50,000 – 116,000 NGN (lowest average) to 756,000 NGN (highest average, the actual maximum salary is higher).
This is the average monthly salary including housing, transport, and other benefits. Salaries vary drastically between different Banking careers.
Banking and Finance is one of the oldest degrees and competitive. This course is popular amongst commercial students in secondary school. From our records, 88 Nigerian universities offer this degree course. So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Banking and Finance, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Banking and Finance and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Banking and Finance
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Banking and Finance are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Any Nigerian Language
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Banking and Finance, don’t give up. You should consider other Banking and Finance similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Banking and Finance
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 210 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Banking and Finance Degree. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-200 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Banking and Finance are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Banking and Finance
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Banking and Finance under faculty of administration, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Accounting, Economics, Management, Mathematics, Geography, and Statistics
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Here is the list of universities offering Banking and Finance Degree in Nigeria.
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State
- Augustine University
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chrisland University
- Christopher University Mowe
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Covenant University Ota
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele
- Igbinedion University Okada
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Ogun,Kogi State University Anyigba
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Rhema University Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- University of Uyo
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo.
- Western Delta University Oghara Delta State
Banking and Finance Degree has a 43% admission rate.
Who can study Banking and Finance Degree?
Can science or art students study Banking and Finance at the university? By default, this course is meant for commercial students only. But the curriculum of this course allows students with art and science backgrounds to study it as long as they have the right O level subject combination for Banking and Finance.
This simply means, even though you were an art student in secondary school, you can still qualify to study this course with the right O level subject for Banking and Finance.
Banking and Finance Course Description
A banking and Finance degree prepare students to think critically and find new ways to improve the industry. Students learn to communicate effectively on all levels and acquire leadership skills in the banking industry to become an initiator of change by making complex and difficult decisions using modern finance, marketing and management analysis method.
Banking and Finance encompass the storing and protecting of money, the creating and maintaining of wealth, and the receiving, distributing and overall managing of money that is crucial to the success of every business. Very broad areas, banking, credit and finance professionals can be found in every industry helping businesses as well as individuals. People entering these fields have to be knowledgeable of methods of deposit and withdrawals, loans, interest rates, budgets and financing, stocks, bonds, credits, investments, monetary systems, and financial institutions.
Skills for Success
- Aptitude for analysing, organizing and interpreting numerical data
- Ability to explain financial terms and transactions to others
- Strong ethics
- Analytical & precise
- Computer skills
- Ability to handle money
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to communicate with a diversity of people
- Attention to detail
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Banking and Finance is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Banking and Finance is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Banking and Finance is under the Faculty of Administration but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Banking and Finance in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (waiver) for Banking and Finance
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria does not accept a combination of Local Languages and Religious Knowledge.
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba, University of Uyo, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK), Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT), Ekiti State University, Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU),University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) and University of Lagos (UNILAG) require credit in Economics and two other subjects.
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) and Benson Idahosa University, Benin City accept credit/merit in English Language in TC II.
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) requires Economics and does not accept commercial subjects.
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki and River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST) – Same as in Accounting.
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) requires credit in English Language, Mathematics, Economics and any two of Government, Geography, Commerce, Financial Accounting, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Banking and Finance and Book Keeping.
- American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN) requires Five ‘O’ level credit including English Language, Mathematics, and any other three subjects from the following; Economics, Geography, Government, History, Literature in English, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Visual Arts, Computer Studies, Information Technology, Civics, Environmental Science, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and French.
- American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN) does not accept credit in the following; Agriculture, Food and Nutrition, Home Economics, Home Craft, Home management, Physical Education, Physical and Health Education, Music, Commerce, Accounting, Financial Accounting, Book keeping, Islamic History, Religious Studies, Tajweed, Library Studies, Diction, Kiswahili, Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Arabic, Turkish, Study skills.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) requires five O’ level credits to include: English Language, Mathematics and any other relevant subjects. For NBC the other two relevant subjects could be from any of the following: Accounting, Principles of Accounts, Commerce, Office Practice and Economics.
- Ekiti State University requires credit in Economics plus other social Science subjects at the SSCE.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba requires credit in Economics plus one social Science subject and any other subject at the SSCE level’]
Further reading on Banking and Finance Degree:
- Top Career Opportunities for Banking and Finance
- Top Courses Related to Banking and Finance
- List of Courses under Banking and Finance
- Required documents for admission to Nigeria
- How to gain admission easily to study Banking and Finance
- How to get scholarship updates to study for free.
- How to obtain a quick student loan