This page contains 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combinations (admission requirements) for Petroleum Engineering, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech.|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
Is Petroleum Engineering a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Petroleum Engineering is a good course in Nigeria with limited job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. Petroleum Engineer and related professionals typically earn between ₦350,000 and ₦1,000,000 net per month
An Petroleum Engineering degree is competitive and quite popular amongst students in secondary school. From our records, 14 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Petroleum Engineering, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Petroleum Engineering and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Petroleum Engineering
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before gaining admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Petroleum Engineering are:
- English Language
- Further Mathematics
- Civic Education
- A trade subject
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Petroleum Engineering, don’t give up. You should consider other Petroleum Engineering similar courses or look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read valuable guides on how to choose a course and university
Petroleum Engineering Course Description
Before you consider the JAMB UTME subject combination (subjects to write in jamb) to study this course, it is good you know what this course is all about. Petroleum engineering is an engineering discipline concerned with the activities related to the production of hydrocarbons, which can be either crude oil or natural gas. Subsurface activities are deemed to fall within the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry, which are the activities of finding and producing hydrocarbons.
Students will learn about petroleum geology and geophysics which focus on the provision of a static description of the hydrocarbon reservoir rock, while petroleum engineering focuses on estimation of the recoverable volume of this resource using a detailed understanding of the physical behaviour of oil, water and gas within porous rock at very high pressure.
The duration of the course is four/five years and it may be offered by certain institutes on a correspondence basis as well. After the completion of the course, the candidates are given a lot of job opportunities in the petroleum sector.
Please note this
- If you want to pursue a career in petroleum engineering you should be aware that the job of a petroleum engineer is not restricted to air-conditioned offices. Most petroleum engineers have to work in the fields except those responsible for analyzing the reports and recommending the field engineers and advising corporate decision-makers on whether to proceed. Therefore, the field engineers should have to be mentally as well as physically strong enough to endure long-distance travel, long stays and to bear uncertain weather conditions. Besides, petroleum engineers have to work with a team of geologists and contractors, which is why they should also possess strong and effective communication skills.
- Petroleum engineers search the world for reservoirs containing oil and natural gas. On discovery of these resources, they communicate with geologists and other specialists to understand the geologic formation and properties of the rock containing the reservoir, determine the drilling methods to be used, and monitor drilling and production operations.
- Petroleum engineers design equipment and processes to achieve maximum and profitable recovery of oil and gas. They rely heavily on computer models to simulate reservoir performance using different recovery techniques.
- Also, graduates can go for their Masters’ degrees for teaching purposes.
JAMB subject combination for Petroleum Engineering
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 220 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Petroleum Engineering. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-200 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Petroleum Engineering is:
- English Language
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Petroleum Engineering
- ‘A’ level passes must include Physics or Chemistry, and Mathematics
List of Universities offering Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Covenant University Ota
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- Madonna University, Okija
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- University of Uyo
Cut-off Mark for Petroleum Engineering course
As you can see, more than one University offers Petroleum Engineering. This means the cut-off mark for Petroleum Engineering will vary. However, from aggregate, the cut off mark is 220. You can still gain admission if you score between 190-200 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher.
Petroleum Engineering is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Petroleum Engineering is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Petroleum Engineering is under the Faculty of Engineering but may also be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Petroleum Engineering?
No! Petroleum Engineering is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art students. But if you have the required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subjects combination for Petroleum Engineering is through GCE
Where can I work with a Degree in Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria
These are the likely place you can work
- Engineering Assistant
- Sr. Application Sales Engineering-Chemicals
- Design Engineer-Civil/ Structural
- Technical Project Manager-Petroleum & Reservoir
- Manager-Petrol Pump
- Junior Engineering Assistant-Instrumentation
- Engineer Trainee
- Finance Executive & Operator
- Customer Support Manager-Petroleum Segment
- Sales and Marketing Manager-Petroleum Segment
- Trainee Engineer-Process
Further Reading on Petroleum Engineering Degree