Last Updated on
O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Petroleum Engineering 2019/2020; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
|Qualification||B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech., B. Arc|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Petroleum Engineering related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
You must be a science student to study Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Petroleum Engineering
The subjects needed to study Petroleum Engineering in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Petroleum Engineering must include
- Mathematics If you don’t have credit in Mathematics, Click here fast
- English Language
- One Science subject
- A trade subject
Before you consider the JAMB UTME subject combination (subjects to write in jamb) to study this course, it is good you know what this course is all about. Petroleum engineering is an engineering discipline concerned with the activities related to the production of hydrocarbons, which can be either crude oil or natural gas. Subsurface activities are deemed to fall within the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry, which are the activities of finding and producing hydrocarbons.
Students will learn about petroleum geology and geophysics which focus on the provision of a static description of the hydrocarbon reservoir rock, while petroleum engineering focuses on estimation of the recoverable volume of this resource using a detailed understanding of the physical behaviour of oil, water and gas within porous rock at very high pressure.
The duration of the course is four/five years and it may be offered by some certain institutes on a correspondence basis as well. After the completion of the course, the candidates are given a lot of job opportunities in the petroleum sector.
Please note this
- If you want to pursue a career in petroleum engineering you should be aware that the job of a petroleum engineer is not restricted to air-conditioned offices. Most petroleum engineers have to work in the fields except those who are responsible for analyzing the reports and recommending the field engineers and advising corporate decision-makers on whether to proceed or not. Therefore, the field engineers should have to be mentally as well as physically strong enough to endure long-distance travel, long stays and to bear uncertain weather conditions. Besides, petroleum engineers have to work with a team of geologists and contractors, which is why they should also possess strong and effective communication skills.
- Petroleum Engineers search the world for reservoirs containing oil and natural gas. On discovery of these resources, they communicate with geologists and other specialists to understand the geologic formation and properties of the rock containing the reservoir, determine the drilling methods to be used, and monitor drilling and production operations.
- Petroleum Engineers design equipment and processes to achieve maximum and profitable recovery of oil and gas. They rely heavily on computer models to simulate reservoir performance using different recovery techniques.
- Also, graduates can go for their Masters’ degree for teaching purposes.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Petroleum Engineering
Knowing JAMB subjects for Petroleum Engineering is not enough. You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just a piece of advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree.
JAMB UTME subject combinations (subjects to write in jamb) to study Petroleum Engineering are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Petroleum Engineering
‘A’ level passes must include Physics or Chemistry, and Mathematics
If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with this admission requirement that is the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider other Petroleum Engineering similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
These are the list of Universities offering Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Covenant University Ota
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) with options in: (i) Drilling & Exploration Engr. Technology. (ii) Reservoir Eng. Tech. (iii) Natural Eng. Tech. (iv) Petroleum Production Eng.
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- Madonna University, Okija
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- University of Uyo
Cut-off Mark for Petroleum Engineering course
The cut-off mark for Petroleum Engineering is varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Petroleum Engineering is a good course and you can also check the top best engineering courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Petroleum Engineering is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Petroleum Engineering is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Petroleum Engineering is under Faculty of Agriculture but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Petroleum Engineering?
No! Petroleum Engineering is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art student. But if you have required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subjects combination for Petroleum Engineering is through GCE
Where can I work with a Degree in Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria
These are the likely place you can work
- Engineering Assistant
- Sr. Application Sales Engineering-Chemicals
- Design Engineer-Civil/ Structural
- Technical Project Manager-Petroleum & Reservoir
- Manager-Petrol Pump
- Junior Engineering Assistant-Instrumentation
- Engineer Trainee
- Finance Executive & Operator
- Customer Support Manager-Petroleum Segment
- Sales and Marketing Manager-Petroleum Segment
- Trainee Engineer-Process
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Petroleum Engineering have been listed above. Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar..
Like Fatherprada on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Petroleum and Gas Engineering
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Systems Engineering
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Mining Engineering
- Requirements to Study Polymer and Textile Engineering
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Polymer Engineering
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Chemical Engineering
- Information and Communication Technology Engineering
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Marine Engineering
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Telecommunication Engineering
- Requirements to Study Metallurgical and Materials Engineering