Last Updated on
This page contains official 2019/2020 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Geology, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this couse||Science student|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Geology related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Geology. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background science subjects for you to study Geology in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Geology
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Geology in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Geology must include:
- English Language
- Any other subject
- A trade subject
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Geology. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Geology, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Geology
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Geology that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Geology. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Geology must include:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Geology
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Geology, you are expected to have;
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes from Geology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Geography.
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Geology, don’t give up. You should consider other Geology similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Geology in Nigeria
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- The Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Ekiti State University
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- The Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Geology. Listen, there is no such thing as best universities or top universities to study Geology in Nigeria. Nobody has that information. Although recommendations are allowed, don’t be deceived by the word “best”. Read why you should stop looking for the best University in Nigeria
Course description: Geology is a branch of scientific study, focusing on the composition of solid earth, and how their makeup changes over time, and in certain combinations. It gives insight into the history of the Earth, through studying plate tectonics and past climates. Geology also involves the investigation of how minerals can be discovered and utilised.
If you were a fan of history and geography at school, then geology combines the best of both worlds. The origin of our modern landscape is explored, as is how we discover, use and manage natural resources. Geology is a subject for curious people. If you are keen to discover more about the dynamics of Earth, its resources and economics – things not everyone knows – then this is a strong choice. Students who enjoy working outdoors will find this field of earth sciences a rewarding area of study. Field trips are commonplace, rather than a rare luxury.
Students who study this course are equipped with developing natural resources in ways that safeguard the environment. Geology is important because it helps in finding, managing and using natural resources and mitigating the risks of natural and environmental hazards.
Where can I work with a Degree in Geology in Nigeria
Career opportunities include:
- Mining and geological engineer
- Environmental consulting
- Well site geologist
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Geology course
As you can see, more than one University offers Geology. This means the cut-off mark for Geology varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Geology is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Geology is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Geology at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Geology for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Geology is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Geology is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Geology?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot Geology at the university because it is a pure science course which need a good background on science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Geology is through GCE.
Learn more about Geology
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Geology in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Geology below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Geology had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Geography – Under Science
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Applied Geology
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Geology and Mining
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Applied Botany
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Geology and Geophysics
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Geology and Mineral Science
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Statistics
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Geology and Petroleum Studies
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Marine Biology and Fisheries
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Industrial Physics