O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Geology; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
- JAMB officially classified this course under Faculty/School/College of Science .
- Probable Degree type – (B.Sc. & B. Tech)
The admission requirement to study Geology in Nigeria Universities includes one or a combination of ‘O’ level results or A-level result if you’re going through Direct Entry. This page will literally answer questions such as WAEC subject combination, JAMB UTME subject combination, Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers), where you can work with the degree and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. If you’re still having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that may be of benefit to you.
Geology is a branch of scientific study, focusing on the composition of solid earth, and how their makeup changes over time, and in certain combinations. It gives insight into the history of the Earth, through studying plate tectonics and past climates. Geology also involves the investigation of how minerals can be discovered and utilised.
If you were a fan of history and geography at school, then geology combines the best of both worlds. The origin of our modern landscape is explored, as is how we discover, use and manage natural resources. Geology is a subject for curious people. If you are keen to discover more about the dynamics of Earth, its resources and economics – things not everyone knows – then this is a strong choice. Students who enjoy working outdoors will find this field of earth sciences a rewarding area of study. Field trips are commonplace, rather than a rare luxury.
Students who study this course are equipped with developing natural resources in ways that safeguard the environment. Geology is important because it helps in finding, managing and using natural resources and mitigating the risks of natural and environmental hazards.
What is O level/WAEC subject combination (requirement) for Geology?
The subjects needed to study Geology in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement that is the compulsory WAEC subject combination for Geology must include
- English Language
- Any other subject
- A trade subject
What is JAMB UTME subject combination (subjects needed) for Geology?
You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just an advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for Geology are any three of;
What is Direct Entry requirement (that is the required A-level result you need) to study Geology?
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes from Geology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Geography.
Just a reminder: Everything you have read so far is a general requirement, it is expedient that you also check the special consideration for this course below. If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider taking a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice.
So now that you know the compulsory WAEC, JAMB subject combination for Geology, (which is also applicable to NECO and GCE) as well as A-level result/certificate.
Before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
See useful guides on how to choose a course and university
List of Nigeria Universities offering Geology are
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU) Click to read conditions
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Bayero University, Kano Click to read conditions
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) Click to read conditions
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- The Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) with options in: (i) Geology (ii) Geophysics (iii) Geochemistry (iv) Remote Sensing (v) Mineralogy (v) Meteorology (vii) Hydrology.
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Ekiti State University
- University of Ibadan (UI) Click to read conditions
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) Click to read conditions
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU) Click to read conditions
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- The Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University,Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH) Click to read conditions
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Salem University, Lokoja Click to read conditions
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
Where can I work with a Degree in Geology?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Geology. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating. Career opportunities include:
- Mining and geological engineer
- Environmental consulting
- Well site geologist
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Geology have been listed above. Yet, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar.
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combinations for Applied Geology
- WAEC, JAMB UTME Subject for Geology and Geophysics
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combinations for Geology and Mining
- WAEC, JAMB UTME Subject for Geography – Under Science
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Geology and Mineral Science
- WAEC, JAMB Subject for Geology and Petroleum Studies
- WAEC, JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Statistics
- WAEC, JAMB UTME Subject for Industrial Mathematics
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combinations for Applied Geophysics
- WAEC, JAMB Subject Combinations for Biological Science