This page contains 2024 WAEC and JAMB subject combination for History and International Studies Degree, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|History and International Studies
|B.A. B.Sc. (Hons.)
|How many years
|3 – 4 Years
|Who can study this course
|Art and commercial student
|Cut off mark
|History and International Studies related courses
|High and Competitive
Is History and International Studies a good course in Nigeria?
Absolutely. History and International Studies is one of the oldest degrees in Nigeria with a few job roles you can explore. In Nigeria, History and International Studies graduate salaries depend on where you work, different employees have different salary packages.
Private employees pay more than the government but not in all cases. The salary range for International Relations graduates in Nigeria is between 110k to 350k per month.
History and International Studies is not competitive and very popular amongst art students in secondary school. From our records, 49 Nigerian universities offer this degree course though the degree name may be slightly different.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for History and International Studies, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying History and International Studies and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For History and International Studies
However, you must have at least 5 credit passes amongst the 9 subjects listed below before you can gain admission into any Nigerian university to study for an History and International Studies degree.
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for History and International Studies are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Any Nigerian Language
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study History and International Studies, don’t give up. You should consider other History and International Studies similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for History and International Studies
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 180 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study History and International Studies. You can still gain admission if you score between 150-170 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for History and International Studies are:
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study History and International Studies
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for History and International Studies, you are expected to have;
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes/NCE (Upper Credit) in History, Govt and any other related subject.
(ii) Diploma in International Affairs/Strategic Studies or related discipline
Here is the list of universities offering History and International Studies Degree in Nigeria.
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bowen University, Iwo
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Edo University Iyamo
- Ekiti State University
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- University of Uyo
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
History and International Studies has 100% admission rate.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
History and International Studies Degree is how many years course?
If you gain admission to study History and International Studies degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study History and International Studies for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
History and International Studies is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, History and International Studies is under the Faculty/School/College of Art but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Who can study History and International Studies?
Can science or commercial students study History and International Studies at the university? By default, this course is meant for art students only. But the curriculum of this course allows students with commercial or science backgrounds to study it as long as they have the right O level subject combination for History and International Studies.
This simply means that even though you were a commercial or science student in secondary school, you can still qualify to study this course with the right O level subject for History and International Studies.
History and International Studies Course Description
History and International Studies degree cover the political, economic, social, cultural, and religious aspects of African History in particular and the wider world in general. Courses in International relations are also studied. The programme adopts a concentric approach with Nigeria as the epicentre.
Courses on African historical experience and relations with those of the world beyond are also included. This is to enable the students not only to compare and contrast African historical experiences with those of the world beyond but also to understand the dynamics of the constantly changing relationships between Africa and other countries.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study History and International Studies in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (waiver) for History and International Studies
- Kogi State University Anyigba, Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI), Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) and University of Uyo credit pass in Geography is not compulsory but accepts any three other Arts or Social Science subjects.
- University of Ibadan (UI) and Redeemer’s University, Mowe accept a pass in Mathematics.
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma and Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki require credit pass in Mathematics
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma requires History and at least a pass in Science subject.
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU), Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN) and University of Jos (UNIJOS) – credit in Geography is not compulsory.
- Bowen University, Iwo and Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU) require credit passes must include English Language, History or Government, and any other three subjects Arts or Social Science subjects. Geography is not compulsory.
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City requires five ‘O; level credit passes in English Language, Government/History, another Arts subject and any other two Arts or Social Science subjects
- Ekiti State University requires History, one Arts and any other subject.
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) requires Five O’ level subject to include English language and Government
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe requires at least a pass in Mathematics
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN) requires Five ‘O’ Level Credit passes to include English language, Government or History or any other social sciences and Arts subjects in SSCE.
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU) requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English, History or Government and any other three subjects, two of which must be Art subjects.
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Government/ History, two other Arts or Social Science subjects and at least a pass in Mathematics.
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in Government or History and any other Arts or Social Science subjects including a pass in Mathematics
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) and the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) require Five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, History/Govt. plus any three other Arts or Social Science subjects.
- The University of Uyo requires credit passes in History or Government, English Language and any two of the following: Literature, Economics, Geography and French
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU) – A credit pass in Geography shall not be compulsory but accepts any three Arts or Social Science subjects.
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU) requires at least five credit passes English, History or Government and any other three subjects, two of which must be Art subjects in not more than two sittings.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba requires credit passes in History or Government, English Language, Mathematics and any two subjects from the arts or social sciences.
- Christopher University Mowe requires five O’ level
Further reading on History and International Studies Degree:
- Top Career Opportunities for History and International Studies Students
- Courses Related to History and International Studies
- List of Courses Under History and International Studies Degree
- Required documents for admission to Nigeria
- How to gain admission easily to study History and International Studies
- How to get scholarship updates to study for free.
- How to obtain a quick student loan