This page contains 2023 official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Marketing, including the list of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more
|Qualification||B.Sc (Hons.) and B.A. (Hons)|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Commercial and Art Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Marketing-related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
Is Marketing a good course in Nigeria?
Absolutely. Marketing is one of the oldest degrees in the world with plenty of job roles you can explore. You are not limited to any specific career field. An early career Marketing Manager with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of ₦1,001,009. A mid-career Marketing Manager with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₦2,568,093
Marketing is one of the old degrees and most competitive. This course is popular amongst commercial students in secondary school. The Majority of Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Marketing, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Marketing and the employment rate as mentioned below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Requirements To Study Marketing
In WAEC, NECO or GCE, you are expected to register a maximum of 9 subjects for a Marketing degree. You can register for less than 9 subjects if you are resitting.
However, you must have at least 5 credit passes amongst the 9 subjects listed below before you can gain admission into any Nigerian university to study for a Marketing degree.
Remember, the subject combination you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 O level requirements for Marketing are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Any Nigerian Language
Jamb subject requirements For Marketing.
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. Moreso, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 190 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study the Marketing Degree course. You can still gain admission if you score between 160-180 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 compulsory (main) subjects in Jamb for Marketing are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Marketing
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Marketing under the faculty of administration, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Accounting, Management, Government and Geography
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Marketing, don’t give up. You should consider other Marketing similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university…
Here is the list of universities offering Marketing Degree in Nigeria.
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Babcock University, Alishan-Remo
- Baze University
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Christopher University Mowe
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (COOU, ANSU)
- Covenant University Ota
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Madonna University, Okija
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- University of Uyo
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Who can study Marketing?
Can science or art students study Marketing at the university? By default, this course is meant for commercial students only. But the curriculum of this course allows students with art and science backgrounds to study it as long as they have the right O level subject combination for Marketing.
This simply means, that even though you were a science student in secondary school, you can still qualify to study this course with the right O level subject for Marketing.
Marketing Course Description
The Marketing course provides business students with the analytical tools for the following strategic decisions for the firm: which markets and customers to serve, with which products and services, and how it will compete. Students study the management of customers, distribution channels, products and brands, communications, and pricing and the use of information for marketing decisions.
Marketing is about how best one can communicate the value of a product, service or brand to customers, buyers or consumers, for the purpose of eventually selling that product, service, or brand. It used to be that marketing was primarily done via word of mouth, and then who could shout that word the loudest. The theory remains the same; the practice has changed considerably.
Benefits of studying Marketing degree course:
- The need for professional marketers will always be in demand. As long as there are existing economies and businesses, the world will need marketers.
- Marketing explores human interaction as an important function of a business. Not only are marketers tasked with understanding customer experiences, but they are also expected to know how to communicate with diverse audiences with varying levels of cooperation
- Marketing examines relationships from both the standpoint of the business and the customer. This dual perspective is the key to making insightful decisions
- Marketing teaches valuable skills in data interpretation. Though not always stated as a job function, many companies delight in having candidates who know how to read data.
Marketing is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Marketing is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Marketing is under the Faculty of Administration but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Can a science or art student study Marketing?
Yes! If you are a science, art or commercial student, you can comfortably study Marketing at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Marketing is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Marketing in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some compulsory subjects instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (waiver) for Marketing
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT), the Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike and Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) require ‘O’ level credit in Economics.
- ANSU and the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) – As in Banking and Marketing.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK) requires Mathematics, Economics plus any other Arts/Social Science subject
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT) requires Economics in addition to English Language and Mathematics.
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi, River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST) and Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki – Same as in Accountancy.
Further reading on Marketing:
Can I study marketing !?
yes but most universities prefer accounting instead of commerce