This page contains the 2023 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Philosophy, including the list of Nigerian universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more.
|Course||Philosophy – Under Art|
|Qualification||B.A. B.Sc. (Hons.)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course||Art and commercial student|
|Cut off mark||varies|
|Related courses||Philosophy related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
Is Philosophy a good course in Nigeria?
Absolutely. Philosophy is one of the newest degrees in Nigeria with plenty of job roles you can explore. Philosophy is the ultimate “transferable work skill.” With its emphasis on reason and argumentation, philosophy is excellent preparation for a career in law, religion, business, international diplomacy, social work, medical management or writing as well as post-graduate education.
In Nigeria, philosopher salaries can range depending on the field they specialize in. Some philosophy careers may pay around N180,000 while others can exceed upwards of N570,000.
Philosophy is one of the oldest degrees and is not competitive. This course is popular amongst art students in secondary school. From our records, 45 Nigerian universities offer this degree course though the degree name may be slightly different.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Philosophy, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Philosophy and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
we have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Philosophy
In WAEC, NECO or GCE, you are expected to register a maximum of 9 subjects for a Philosophy degree. You can register for less than 9 subjects if you are resitting.
However, you must have at least 5 credit passes amongst the 9 subjects listed below before you can gain admission into any Nigerian university to study for a Philosophy degree.
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Philosophy are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Any Nigerian Language
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Philosophy, don’t give up. You should consider other Philosophy similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Philosophy
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 180 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Philosophy. You can still gain admission if you score between 150-170 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Philosophy are:
- Literature in English language
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Philosophy
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Philosophy, you are expected to have Any two ‘A’ level passes.
Here is the list of universities offering a Philosophy Degree in Nigeria.
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Augustine University
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Imo Claretian University (ICU)
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Madonna University, Okija
- National Missionary Seminary of St-Paul, Gwagwalada
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Pope John Major Seminary, Okpun, Awka
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa,
- Spiritan University, Nneochi Abia State
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- The seat of Wisdom Seminary, Owerri
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Seminary of All Saints, Uhiele-Ekpoma, Edo State
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja.
Philosophy has a 95% admission rate.
Who can study Philosophy?
Can science or commercial students study Philosophy at the university? By default, this course is meant for art students only. But the curriculum of this course allows students with commercial or science backgrounds to study it as long as they have the right O level subject combination for Philosophy.
This simply means that even though you were a commercial or science student in secondary school, you can still qualify to study this course with the right O level subject for Philosophy.
Philosophy Course Description
Philosophy is the study of the nature of existence, knowledge, truth and ethics. It involves consideration of the most fundamental questions about who we are and examines philosophical thought across the breadth of history right up to the present day.
It hones your ability to reason effectively and form coherent arguments, to write persuasively, and improves your logical and critical thinking. It challenges your understanding and assumptions of concepts like human nature and whether God exists. The diverse sub-sections of philosophy address questions ranging from why we dream to whether free will exists.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Philosophy is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study a Philosophy degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Philosophy for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Philosophy is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Philosophy in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some compulsory subjects instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (waiver) for Philosophy
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) requires a credit pass in Mathematics.
- Ekiti State University, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, University of Ibadan (UI), Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU), Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU), Kogi State University Anyigba, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma and Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) require at least a pass in Mathematics.
- University of Ibadan (UI) and University of Lagos (UNILAG) require 5 ‘O’ credit passes to include English Language and one arts subject.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU) requires five “O” level credit passes to include English Language, one Arts subject and a pass in Mathematics…
- University of Benin (UNIBEN) requires five O level credit passes or five Merit level passes in T.C. II at not more than two sittings. subjects should include English Language and any two other subjects from Arts or Social Sciences. At least a pass in Mathematics is required.
- Benue State University, Makurdi requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in Social Science including English Language.
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU) requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language and any other four subjects, two of Arts/Social Science.
- Seminary of All Saints, Uhiele-Ekpoma, Edo State requires five O’ level credit passes to include the English Language, at least a pass in Mathematics and any two other Arts or Social Science subjects. Candidates MUST be sponsored by a Catholic Diocese.
- Bowen University, Iwo requires five O level credit passes to include English Language and any two other subjects from Arts, Social Sciences or Science. At least a pass in Mathematics or Physics is required.
- The University of Uyo requires a credit pass in one Science subject and at least a pass in Mathematics.
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki requires (a) For Philosophy five `O` level credits which must include English Lang, Maths, in a maximum of two sittings. A pass in two principal subjects at the NCE level, plus three credits at `O` level which must include the English Language. (b) For Religion five `O` level credits which was obtained in a maximum of two sittings and which must include English Language, Mathematics, and Religious Knowledge A pass in two principal subjects at the NCE.
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA) requires credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Literature in English and any other relevant subjects.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba requires credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, one Arts subject and two other relevant subjects.
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) requires five O/level credits in English Language, Mathematics, one Arts and any two Arts, Social Sciences and Science. Civic Education is also accepted
Further reading on Philosophy Degree:
Can a pure science student do philosophy??
Yes you can
at lasu,I thought is was optional
can i study philosophy without govt of have d7 e8 or f9 in govt at lasu
Govt is compulsory