Last Updated on
This page contains official 2019/2020 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Philosophy, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Course||Philosophy – Under Art|
|Qualification||B.A. B.Sc. (Hons.)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course||Art and commercial student|
|Cut off mark||varies|
|Related courses||Philosophy related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
|Got question?||Click here|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Philosophy. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be an Art student with a good background in Art subjects for you to study Philosophy in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Philosophy
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Philosophy in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Philosophy must include:
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Philosophy. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Philosophy, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Philosophy
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Philosophy that you must register and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Philosophy. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Philosophy must include:
- Any art subjects
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Philosophy
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Philosophy, you are expected to have Any two ‘A’ level passes.
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Philosophy, don’t give up. You should consider other Philosophy similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Philosophy in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Augustine University
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Imo Claretian University (ICU)
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Madonna University, Okija
- National Missionary Seminary of St-Paul, Gwagwalada
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Pope John Major Seminary, Okpun, Awka
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa,
- Spiritan University, Nneochi Abia State
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- The seat of Wisdom Seminary, Owerri
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Seminary of All Saints, Uhiele-Ekpoma, Edo State
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja.
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Philosophy. Listen, there is no such thing as best universities or top universities to study Philosophy in Nigeria. Nobody has that information. Although recommendations are allowed, don’t be deceived by the word “best”. Read why you should stop looking for the best University in Nigeria
Course description: Philosophy is the study, in general, of whether or not we can trust our reality. You will study some of the greatest thinkers of humankind, including their studies of existence, knowledge, values and reason. To study philosophy is to grapple with questions that have occupied humankind for millennia. Philosophy, if you get it, is one of the most intellectually rewarding university subjects.
Philosophy degrees are essentially one-way tickets to the Jobcentre, right Wrong. The skills that philosophy teaches you will always be in high demand: you will learn to think, write, and challenge with intelligence. As there is no clear career pathway, philosophy is, therefore, a likeably flexible degree choice.
Graduates can enter law, finance, business, medicine, journalism, education, academia, and more. Philosophy makes you see things clearer. Injustice, imbalance and unfairness is always in a clearer light to a philosophy graduate. It is a subject for those who hate constraints more than anything else.
Where can I work with a Degree in Philosophy
Job areas Philosophy graduates include teaching and lecturing, barrister, civil service, local and national government, marketing, journalism, psychotherapy, solicitor etc.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Philosophy course
The cut-off mark for Philosophy varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Philosophy is a good course and you can also check the top best Art courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Philosophy is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Philosophy at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Philosophy for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Philosophy is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Philosophy is under the Faculty/School/College of Art but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or commercial student study Philosophy?
Yes! If you are a science or a commercial student, you can study Philosophy at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Philosophy is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Philosophy in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Philosophy below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Philosophy had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Follow Fatherprada on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Nigerian Languages
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Philosophy and Religious Studies
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Communication Arts
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Fine Art / Fine and Applied Arts
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Drama/Dramatic/Performing Art
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Archaeology – Under Art
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Igbo
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Mass Communication – Under Art
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Languages and Linguistics
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for English and Literary Studies