Last Updated on
This page contains official 2020/2021 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for History, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||B.A. B.Sc. (Hons.)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course||Art and commercial student|
|Cut off mark||varies|
|Related courses||History related courses|
|Job Availability||Low and Competitive|
|Got question?||Click here|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study History. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be an Art student with a good background in Art subjects for you to study History in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for History
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study History in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for History must include:
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for History. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study History, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for History
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for History that you must register and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study History. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study History must include:
- Any other two subjects from Arts and Social Sciences.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study History
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for History, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes in History and any other related subjects.
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study History, don’t give up. You should consider other History similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering History in Nigeria
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina (FUDUSOK)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study history. Listen, I don’t encourage such but if you’re bent on knowing the best universities or top universities to study history in Nigeria, Check here
Course description: Consciously or not, all of us operate as historians. We make judgments and decisions based on our knowledge, however inadequate, of what has gone before. Furthermore, we make sense of our own position in the present by composing and telling stories about where we have been in the past.
The formal study of history—the critical examination of human accomplishments and failures—does likewise, and it greatly enhances our ability to judge and decide about both private matters and public issues. Although historical awareness does not offer immediate solutions to contemporary problems, it does lead to a better understanding of them. Studying what was remote in time and space provides important perspectives on politics, society, and culture.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for History course
The cut-off mark for History varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. History is a good course and you can also check the top best Art courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
History is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study History at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study History for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
History is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, History is under the Faculty/School/College of Art but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or commercial student study History?
Yes! If you are a science or a commercial student, you can study History at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for History is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study History in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for History below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for History had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Fatherprada tries as much as possible to provide you with correct and up to date information. If you find any pieces of misinformation or require additional details please feel free to use the comment.
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for History and International Studies
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Igbo
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Archaeology – Under Art
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Fine Art / Fine and Applied Arts
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for German
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Yoruba
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for French
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Linguistics
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for English and Literary Studies
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Political Science – Under Art