Last Updated on
This page contains official 2019/2020 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Botany, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this couse||Science student|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Botany related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Botany. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background science subjects for you to study Botany in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Botany
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Botany in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Botany must include:
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Botany. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Botany, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Botany
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Botany that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Botany. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Botany must include:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Botany
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Botany, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes in Biology/Botany/Zoology and Chemistry or Physics.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Botany, don’t give up. You should consider other Botany similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Botany in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kogi State University Anyigba,
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Veritas University, Abuja
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Botany. Listen, there is no such thing as best universities or top universities to study Botany in Nigeria. Nobody has that information. Although recommendations are allowed, don’t be deceived by the word “best”. Read why you should stop looking for the best University in Nigeria
Course description: It is good we take a look at the brief description to help you decide if this course is worth studying in Nigeria Universities. Botany which is also known as plant science is the scientific study of plants. Because the field is so broad, there are many kinds of plant scientists and many different opportunities available.
Botanists interested in ecology study interactions of plants with other organisms and the environment. Other field botanists search to find new species or do experiments to discover how plants grow under different conditions. Some botanists study the structure. They may work in the field, concentrating on the pattern of the whole plant. Many botanists do experiments to determine how plants convert simple chemical compounds into more complex chemicals. They may even study how genetic information in DNA controls plant development.
Botany is a very good course to study if you have the required subject combination. It is a good course because it helps to increase and improve our supply of medicines, foods, fibres, building materials, and other plant products. Students who study this course are equipped with the knowledge of ensuring that the role of plants in the life of the individual and the nation’s economy and existence is adequately emphasized.
Where can I work with a Degree in Botany
Students graduating from Department of Botany may choose careers in teaching and/or research in colleges, universities and research institutions, government, agriculture, forestry, conservation and wildlife management, wood technology and industries, such as sugar, rubber, fertilizer and oil (vegetables and minerals), petroleum refinery, etc.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Botany course
As you can see, more than one University offers Botany. This means the cut-off mark for Botany varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Botany is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Botany is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Botany at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Botany for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Botany is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Botany is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Botany?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot Botany at the university because it is a pure science course which need a good background on science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Botany is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Botany in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Botany below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Botany had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Follow Fatherprada on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Applied Botany
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Zoology
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Marine Biology and Fisheries
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Biological Science
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Industrial Mathematics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Biology
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Botany and Microbiology
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Fisheries – Under Science
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Industrial Physics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Pure and Applied Mathematics