Last Updated on
This page contains 2019/2020 official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Mechanical Engineering Technology, including the List of Nigeria Polytechnics Offering this Course, and much more
|Course||Mechanical Engineering Technology|
|Duration||ND 2 Years, HND 2 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Mechanical Engineering Technology. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background Science subjects for you to study Mechanical Engineering Technology in Nigeria Polytechnics, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is the O level / WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria Polytechnics. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Polytechnics, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Mechanical Engineering Technology
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Mechanical Engineering Technology in Nigeria polytechnics. This subject combination is also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Mechanical Engineering Technology must include:
English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and any one subject from: Biology/Agricultural Science Technical Drawing, Basic Electronics/Basic Electricity, Auto Mechanics, Metal Work, Woodwork (for Civil Engineering Tech.), Further Mathematics English Language, Geography, Economics/Commerce. For Marine Engineering and Industrial Safety & Environmental Engineering a pass in Biology is required.
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Mechanical Engineering Technology. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Mechanical Engineering Technology, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Mechanical Engineering Technology
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Mechanical Engineering Technology that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 150 so that you can easily gain admission into any Polytechnics. Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Mechanical Engineering Technology. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Mechanical Engineering Technology must include:
Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Mechanical Engineering Technology, don’t give up. You should consider other Mechanical Engineering Technology similar courses or take a look College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which Polytechnics to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and polytechnics
These are the list of Polytechnics offering Mechanical Engineering Technology:
- Abia State Polytechnic
- Air Force Institute of Technology, Nigerian Air Force, Kaduna
- Abdul-Gusau Polytechnic, Zamfara State
- Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic, Bauchi State
- Auchi Polytechnic
- Benue State Poly, Benue State. (BEN-POLY)
- Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti
- Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechic, Unwana
- Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi
- Federal Polytechnic, Bida
- Federal Polytechnic Damaturu, Yobe State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ede, Osun State
- Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State
- Federal Polytechnic, Idah Kogi State
- Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State
- Federal Polytechnic, Mubi, Adamawa State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Kaura/Namoda, Zamfara State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Nassarawa, Nassarawa State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Owerri, Imo State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Anambra State.
- Federal Polytechnic, Ukana Akwa Ibom State
- Ogun State Institute of Technology (OGITECH)
- Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Ondo State. (RUGIPO)
- The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State (The Polytechnic, Ibadan)
- Imo State Polytechnic, Umuagwo, Imo State
- Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu State (IMT-ENU)
- Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna (KAD-POLY)
- Kano State Polytechnic
- Hassan Usman Katsina Poly, Katsina State.
- Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic, Jigawa State. (KAZAURE)
- Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja
- Kwara State Polytechnic
- Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu (LASPOTECH)
- Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MAPOLY)
- Delta State Polytechnic, Delta State.
- Osun State Polytechnic (OSUNPOLY)
- Osun State College of Tech, Esa-Oke (OSUNTECH)
- Delta State Polytechnic, Otefe
- Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro
- Plateau State Polytechnic, Barkin-Ladi
- Umar Ali Shinkafi Polytechnic, Sokoto
- Adamawa State Polytechnic
- Petroleum Training Institute, Delta State (PTI)
- Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic, Rivers State
- The Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa,Oyo State. (TIPE)
- Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic Kebbi State.
- Yaba College of Technology, Yaba, Lagos State (YABATECH)
- Niger State Polytechnic, Zungeru, Niger State
Can a commercial or art student study Mechanical Engineering Technology?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study Mechanical Engineering Technology at the polytechnic because it is a pure science course which need a good background on science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Mechanical Engineering Technology in polytechnics. But note this — Some Polytechnics may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Mechanical Engineering Technology below if available.
Polytechnic Special Consideration/waiver for Mechanical Engineering Technology
a) Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu State (IMT-ENU) offers it as Mechanical Engineering.
b) AUCHIPOL and ODS-POLY require credit pass in Chemistry.
c) Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu State (IMT-ENU) in addition to the stated requirements will accept one of Further Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, English or National Technical Cert. with credits in Mathematics, Int. Science, Physical Science, English Language and Mechanical trade area.
d) Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti accepts Pre-ND with relevant credits.
e) Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic, Rivers State requires credit in English Language.
f) Yaba College of Technology, Yaba, Lagos State (YABATECH) requires credit pass in one of the following as course requirement: Agricultural Science or Biology, Technical Drawing, Basic, Electronics, Basic Electricity, Further Mathematics, Auto Mechanics, Geography.
g) Fed. Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State requires Physics as UTME subject and at least a pass in Chemistry.
h) The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State (The Polytechnic, Ibadan) – Same as in Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology.
i) Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna (KAD-POLY) requires Mathematics and any two from Chemistry, Physics, Technical Drawing
j) KWAPOLY does not accept Chemistry as one of the UTME Subjects but accepts Credit Passes in Statistics and Wood Work as requirements for Mechanical Engineering Technology.
(k) Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Ondo State. (RUGIPO) accepts a pass in English Language.
l) Federal Polytechnic, Owerri, Imo State. Same as in Civil Engineering.
m) Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State requires credit pass in any one of Technical drawing, Additional Mathematics, and Biology as course requirement.
n) Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechic, Unwana requires two other credit passes from Biology/Agricultural Science, Technical Drawing/Auto Mechanics and Metal Work.
o) Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi requires mathematics, Physics and any two from Chemistry, Metal work, and Technical Drawing as UTME subjects.
p) IMO – POLY requires Mathematics and Physics as UTME subjects. Credit passes are required in all Five (5) relevant subjects.
q) Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MAPOLY) accepts a pass in English Language.
r) Osun State Polytechnic, Iree accepts credit passes in Civic Education/Government, Welding/Auto Part Merchandizing, and Computer Studies/ICT/Data Processing.
i) Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu State (IMT-ENU) accepts Biology.
Follow Fatherprada on Facebook
- 7 Polytechnics offering Mechatronics Engineering Technology and requirements
- 10 Polytechnics offering Chemical Engineering Technology and requirements
- 8 Polytechnics offering Metallurgical Engineering Technology
- 9 Polytechnics offering Agricultural and Bio-Environmental Engineering/Technology and requirements
- 3 Polytechnics offering Marine Engineering Technology and requirements
- 7 Polytechnics offering Mineral Resources Engineering Technology
- 1 Polytechnics offering Industrial Maintenance Engineering Technology
- 5 Polytechnics offering Foundry Engineering Technology and requirements
- 34 Polytechnics offering Agricultural Engineering/Technology and requirements
- Polytechnics offering Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering Technology