This page contains 2023 WAEC and JAMB subject combination for Guidance and Counselling, including the List of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more
|Course||Guidance and Counselling|
|Qualification||[B. ED/B.A.(Educ.)/B.Sc. (Educ.)/B.Ed. (Tech)|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
Is Guidance and Counselling a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Guidance and Counselling is a good course in Nigeria though with limited job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. A person working in Counseling in Nigeria typically earns around 175,000 NGN per month to350,000 NGN
A Guidance and Counselling degree is not competitive and very popular amongst students in secondary school. From our records, 46 Nigerian institutions offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Guidance and Counselling, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Guidance and Counselling and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Guidance and Counselling
In WAEC, NECO or GCE, you are expected to register a maximum of 9 subjects for a Guidance and Counselling degree. You can register for less than 9 subjects if you are resitting.
However, you must have at least 5 credit passes amongst the 9 subjects listed below before you can gain admission into any Nigerian university to study for a Guidance and Counselling degree.
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before gaining admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Guidance and Counselling are:
- English Language
- Civic Education
- Literature In English
- Any Nigerian Langauge
- A Trade subject
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Guidance and Counselling, don’t give up. You should consider other Guidance and Counselling similar courses or look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read valuable guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Guidance and Counselling
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 180 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Guidance and Counselling. You can still gain admission if you score between 160-170 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Guidance and Counselling is:
- English Language
- Literature in Engish
These are the list of Universities offering Guidance and Counselling in Nigeria
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Adeyemi College of Education
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal College of Education, Pankshin
- Federal College of Education, Okene
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- College of Education, Ikere Ekiti
- Osun State College of Education, Ila-Orangun
- Michael Otedola College of Primary Education, Moforiji
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo State
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kwara State College of education, Ilorin (KWCOED)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nwafor Orizu College of Education in Nsugbe, Anambra State
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Federal College of Education (special) Oyo
- St. Augustine College of Education, Lagos State B.ED
- Sokoto State University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Ekiti State University
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- The University of Uyo,
- Veritas University, Abuja
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Cross River State University of Science & Technology
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
What is the Guidance and Counselling course all about?
Counselling is a type of talking therapy that allows a person to talk about their problems and feelings in a confidential and dependable environment. A counsellor is trained to listen with empathy and to understand the problems of the patient. They try to help deal with any negative thoughts and feelings. Counselling is good for those who want to study a medical subject, but who can’t quite carry out the cold, professional distance needed to be a doctor or nurse.
This is a profession where the means and methods of study and care are constantly changing and evolving. Therapeutic models are constantly being researched and improved, and you can be at the forefront. This course provides a balance between academic work, skills development, professional practice, and individual personal development and self-awareness.
Where can I work with a Degree in Guidance and Counselling
- Counselling degrees teach students transferable skills, such as presentation, research and communication, as well as a good personal understanding and empathetic mindset, plus the ability to work in complex situations.
- Particular job areas, as well as counselling, include careers adviser, tutoring, nursing, psychologist, probation or prison officer, social work, and youth work.
Guidance and Counselling is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Guidance and Counselling is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, this course is under the Faculty of Education
I am a science student, Can I study Guidance and Counselling?
Yes, you can study Guidance and Counselling. You are only required to have at least 5 credits on the listed subjects above.
Special Consideration (waiver) to study Guidance and Counselling
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED) and University of Lagos (UNILAG) require credit in two Arts/Science subjects in addition to English Language and Mathematics.
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) requires credit in Mathematics and a pass in Biology/Health Sciences
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) requires five (5) credit in English Language, Mathematics and any three (3) of Literature in English, History, Government, French, Geography, Yoruba/Igbo, CRS/IRS, Economics and Civic Education.
- Nwafor Orizu College of Education, Nsugbe conducts practical examination for UTME candidates.
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) requires English Language, Biology, one Science subject and two others.
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED) requires Five ‘O’ level credits at one sittings or six ‘O’ level credits at two sittings to include English Language, Biology and other subjects from Arts, Social Sciences or Sciences. Credit in Mathematics is compulsory for those with teaching subject options in Science and social Sciences.
- University of Ibadan (UI) requires 5 ‘O’ level credit at one sittings including English Language, Biology and other Arts/Social Science subjects.
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) requires three Arts, Social Science or Science subjects.
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) requires credit in Mathematics.
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) accepts With Teaching subject 4-year Degree Programme (a) Minimum University requirement plus at least a pass at credit level in WASC/NECO/TC II etc in teaching subject to be combined. (b) Additional requirements for specific subject combination include: (1) “G/C combined with a Science Teaching subject (mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Integrated Science) – As in Ed/Science. (2) G/C combined with Social Science Teaching Subject (Social Studies, Economics, Geography, Political science) – As in Ed/Social Science. (3) G/C combined with Arts Teaching subject (English, French, Music, Igbo linguistics, History, Religious studies, Fine and Applied Arts) – As in Ed/Arts.
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU) requires five ‘O’ level credit in English, Mathematics, Biology and any other two subjects.
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni – Same as in Education and Management.
- Benue State University, Makurdi requires five (5) O’ level credit in English Language and at least a pass in Mathematics at not more than two sittings.
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU) requires five O’ level credit in English, Mathematics, Biology and any other two subjects in not more than two sittings.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba requires five credit in English Language, Mathematics and three other subjects from Arts, Social Sciences or Science.
Further Reading on Guidance and Counselling Degree
I have a pass in biology in waec can I study guidance and counseling
Some university will accept pass
Is literature compulsory for UNN?
I have Agricultural science instead of biology please will I have admission?
Biology is compulsory