Last updated on March 1, 2021 by The Counselor
O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Guidance and Counselling 2020/2021; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
|Course||Guidance and Counselling|
|Qualification||[B. ED/B.A.(Educ.)/B.Sc. (Educ.)/B.Ed. (Tech)|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Cut off mark||varies|
|Related courses||Guidance and Counselling related courses|
|Job Availability||Low and Competitive|
This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level requirement to study Guidance and Counselling. That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), s, Special consideration (waivers) and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Guidance and Counselling
The subjects needed to study Guidance and Counselling in WAEC must contain five (5) credit/ TC II merit passes . This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Guidance and Counselling must include:
- English Language
- Literature In English
- Any Nigerian Langauge
- A Trade subject
Counselling is a type of talking therapy that allows a person to talk about their problems and feelings in a confidential and dependable environment. A counsellor is trained to listen with empathy and to understand the problems of the patient. They try to help deal with any negative thoughts and feelings. Counselling is good for those who want to study a medical subject, but who can’t quite carry out the cold, professional distance needed to be a doctor or nurse.
This is a profession where the means and methods of study and care are constantly changing and evolving. Therapeutic models are constantly being researched and improved, and you can be at the forefront. This course provides a balance between academic work, skills development, professional practice, and individual personal development and self-awareness.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Guidance and Counselling
Knowing JAMB subjects for Guidance and Counselling is not enough. You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just a piece of advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree!..
- English Language
- Literature in Engish
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Guidance and Counselling
‘A’ level passes or NCE in two subjects plus UTME requirements.
If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with this admission requirement that is the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider other Guidance and Counselling similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad or within. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
These are the list of Universities offering Guidance and Counselling in Nigeria
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Adeyemi College of Education
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal College of Education, Pankshin
- Federal College of Education, Okene
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- College of Education, Ikere Ekiti
- Osun State College of Education, Ila-Orangun
- Michael Otedola College of Primary Education, Moforiji
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED) ( with options listed in Educ. Mgt.)
- Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo State
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kwara State College of education, Ilorin (KWCOED)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nwafor Orizu College of Education in Nsugbe, Anambra State
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Federal College of Education (special) Oyo
- St. Augustine College of Education, Lagos State B.ED
- Sokoto State University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Ekiti State University
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- The University of Uyo,
- Veritas University, Abuja
Where can I work with a Degree in Guidance and Counselling
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Guidance and Counselling. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating.
- Counselling degrees teach students transferable skills, such as presentation, research and communication, as well as a good personal understanding and empathetic mindset, plus the ability to work in complex situations.
- Particular job areas, as well as counselling, include careers adviser, tutoring, nursing, psychologist, probation or prison officer, social work, and youth work.
Cut-off Mark for Guidance and Counselling course
The cut-off mark for Guidance and Counselling varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Guidance and Counselling is a good course and you can also check the top best Educational courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Guidance and Counselling is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Guidance and Counselling is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, this course is under Faculty of Education but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Guidance and Counselling have been listed above but, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar..Fatherprada tries as much as possible to provide you with correct and up to date information. If you find any pieces of misinformation or require additional details please feel free to use the comment. Follow Fatherprada on Facebook for Guides