This page contains 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combinations (admission requirements) for Architecture, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech., B. Arc|
|Duration||4 – 5 Years|
Is Architecture a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Architecture is a good course in Nigeria with plenty of job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. A person working as an Architect in Nigeria typically earns around 415,000 NGN per month. Salaries range from 180,000 NGN to 652,000 NGN.
An Architecture degree is competitive and quite popular amongst students in secondary school. From our records, 34 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Architecture, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Architecture and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Architecture
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before gaining admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Architecture are:
- English Language
- Civic Education
- Any of Fine Art, Geography or Wood Work, Biology, Economics, Tech. Draw, Further. Mathematics., Introduction to Building Construction, Bricklaying/Block laying, Concreting, Wall, Floors and Ceiling Finishing, Joinery, Carpentry, Decorative Painting, Lining, Sign & Design, Wall Hanging, Colour Mixing/Matching & Glazing, Ceramics, Graphics Design, Graphic Printing, Basic Electricity
- Any Nigerian Language
- A trade subject
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Architecture, don’t give up. You should consider other Architecture similar courses or look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read valuable guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Architecture
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 200 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Architecture. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Architecture is:
- English Language
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Architecture
- Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Mathematics or Physics and Chemistry, Geography or Fine Arts.
- ND/HND upper credits in relevant field.
Architecture course description
Now you know the subject required in waec to become an Architect, Let’s consider what this course is all about. It is good you know something about Architecture before you consider it has your choice course. Architecture is concerned with the design and construction of buildings in their sociological, technical and environmental contexts.
There is increasing recognition of architecture as one of the top intellectual disciplines, an art form, and a technical profession intimately linked with the single largest sector of investment in the economy. Architects are called upon to design and execute building projects and resolve other issues related to the man-made environment in a variety of settings.
More so, Architects have licensed professionals trained in the art and science of building. They are involved in all the phases of the construction of a building i.e. the functional, safety, economical and have to satisfy the needs of its occupants. They are responsible for the planning, designing and supervision of construction works for houses, office buildings, skyscrapers, landscapes, and even entire cities.
But know this – It is a challenging job for an architect to produce an artistically pleasing design within the budget specified by the Clients. He needs to start from scratch by producing the sketches of the building, its floor plans elevation etc. And once it is approved he needs to work on the estimation of the project.
He has to get the necessary documents pertaining to the town planning from local authorities. And then once the work commences, he needs to visit the site, supervise the work and do all other work needed to complete the construction. Architects are also sought for their technical advice to plan, improve or beautify landscapes (that is the field of landscape architecture), highways, entire towns, estates, historical monuments, etc
The aim of the first year of study is to develop the perceptive and creative faculties, impart the methodology of architectural design, and provide a grounding in the natural sciences, technology and the humanities and social sciences. This basic knowledge is expanded in the second and third years. Six months of work experience in the field of architecture must also be completed to obtain a Bachelor’s degree.
As you can see from the above requirement, anyone with credit in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry can apply for admission to study architecture at the graduate level in Universities offering the course. The architecture course outline usually includes the history of architecture, practical mathematics, design and construction, town planning, economics, some sociology, environmental science, and professional practice. Computers are an important part of the training in architecture.
Further specialization in this field can be in industrial design, urban design, landscape architecture, town planning/ urban planning, environmental planning, building engineering and management, transport planning.
List of Universities offering Architecture in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Covenant University Ota
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY).
Architecture is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Architecture is a four to five years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Architecture is under the Faculty of Science but may also be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Architecture?
No! Architecture is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art students. But if you have the required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subject combination for Architecture is through GCE.
Where can I work with a Degree in Architecture in Nigeria?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Architecture. Most of the jobs in architecture come up in government organizations such as Public Works Department, the Archaeological Department, Ministry of Defense, National Building Organization, Town and Country Planning Organization, Departments of Railways, Public Sector Undertakings, Housing and Urban Development, etc. While some other organizations or bodies like State Departments, Housing Boards, Local Bodies for construction works, Builders, Architecture Firms, Consultants, etc. also hire architects.
Special consideration (waiver) for Architecture Degree in Nigeria
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli accepts a pass in English Language.
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma and Abia State University, Uturu – Chemistry not compulsory
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) requires credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Fine Arts or Technical Drawing and any one of Economics, Geography, Chemistry, Biology, Painting and Decoration/Building Construction.
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) accepts five credit passes at ‘O’ level Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination or equivalent and must include: English Language, Mathematics, Physics, either Technical Drawing or five Arts and Applied Arts and one of the following: History, Economics, Geography, Chemistry.
- Bauchi State University, Gadau requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Physics and two others from any of Chemistry, Technical Drawing, Fine Art, Geography, Economics, Building Construction and Land Surveying.
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH) accepts a credit pass in Technical Drawing/Fine Art in lieu of Biology
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT) requires credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any two from Chemistry, Art, Geography, Biology and Economics.
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji requires five credit passes English Language, Physics, Mathematics, chemistry and any one of the following Geography, Fine Art, Woodwork, Technical Drawing, Biology or Economics plus National Diploma in relevant subjects at Upper Credit level.
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN) requires Five “O” Level credit passes including English Language, Mathematics and Physics and any two credits from Technical Drawing, Chemistry, Geography, Fine Arts, Economics and at least a pass in Chemistry.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria requires Five ‘0’ level credit passes including English Language, Physics and Mathematics, plus any two of, Geography, Fine Arts, Technical Drawing, Wood/Metal Work.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) requires SSSC or its equivalent with credit in Mathematics, English Language, Physics and any two of the following: Technical Drawing, Building Const., Woodwork, Fine Art, Geography and Economics.
- Renaissance University, Enugu requires five SSCE credit passes including English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Geography/Tech. Drawing at not more than two sittings.
- Federal University of Technology, Akure requires five credit passes at the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) or NECO or GCE O/L or its equivalent at NOT more than two sittings in the following subjects: English Language, Mathematics and Physics; and two credits from Technical Drawing, Chemistry, Geography, Fine Arts and Economics. Candidates must have at least a pass in Chemistry.
- Bells University of Technology, Otta requires Five SSCE Credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and any two from the following: Chemistry, Biology, Technical Drawing/Fine Arts, Geography, Economics, Building Construction and Land Surveying.
- Caleb University, Lagos same as in Building Technology
- Abia State University, Uturu requires five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any two from Chemistry, Technical Drawing, Fine Arts, Geography, Economics, Biology, Surveying etc.
- Bauchi State University, Gadau requires five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any two from Chemistry, Technical Drawing, Fine Arts, Geography, Economics, Building Construction or Land Surveying etc.
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST) requires five O’ level credits passes including Physics, English Language and Mathematics and any two (2) subjects from Geography, Technical Drawing, Fine Arts, Chemistry, Building Construction and Economics obtained in not more than two sittings.
- Crescent University (CUAB) requires five credits in SSCE/GCE/ NECO including English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any other two subjects from Chemistry, Economics, Fine Arts, Geography, Biology, Technical Drawing, Building Construction and Land Surveying.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) requires at least five credits at ‘O’ Level in English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics plus any other subject taken from Biology, Geography, Economics, Fine Arts, Technical Drawing, Further Mathematics.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY) requires credit passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology/ Agric. Sci./Geography/Further Mathematics/ Technical Drawing/ Welding and fabrication Engineering craft practice.
Further Reading on Architecture Degree