O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Architecture; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
- JAMB officially classified this course under Faculty/School/College of Engineering/Environmental/Technology.
- Probable Degree type – [B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech., B. Arc.]
The admission requirement to study Architecture in Nigeria Universities includes one or a combination of ‘O’ level results or A-level result if you’re going through Direct Entry. This page will literally answer questions such as WAEC subject combination, JAMB UTME subject combination, Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers), where you can work with the degree and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. If you’re still having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that may be of benefit to you.
What is O level/WAEC subject combination (requirement) for Architecture?
The subjects needed to study Architecture in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement that is the compulsory WAEC subject combination for Architecture must include
- English Language
- Mathematics If you don’t have credit in Mathematics, Click here fast
- Any of Fine Art, Geography or Wood Work, Biology, Economics, Tech. Draw, Further. Mathematics., Introduction to Building Construction, Bricklaying/Block laying, Concreting, Wall, Floors and Ceiling Finishing, Joinery, Carpentry, Decorative Painting, Lining, Sign & Design, Wall Hanging, Colour Mixing/Matching & Glazing, Ceramics, Graphics Design, Graphic Printing, Basic Electricity
- A trade subject
Now you know the subject requirement in waec to study Architecture, Let’s consider what this course is all about. It is good you know something about Architecture before you consider it has your choice course. Architecture is concerned with the design and construction of buildings in their sociological, technical and environmental contexts. There is increasing recognition of architecture as one of the top intellectual disciplines, an art form, and a technical profession intimately linked with the single largest sector of investment in the economy. Architects are called upon to design and execute building projects and resolve other issues related to the man-made environment in a variety of settings.
More so, Architects are the licensed professionals trained in the art and science of building. They are involved in all the phases of the construction of a building i.e. the functional, safety, economical and have to satisfy the needs of its occupants. They are responsible for the planning, designing and supervision of construction works for houses, office buildings, skyscrapers, landscapes, and even entire cities.
But know this – It is a challenging job for an architect to produce an artistically pleasing design within the budget specified by the Clients. He needs to start from scratch by producing the sketches of the building, its floor plans elevation etc. And once it is approved he needs to work on the estimation of the project. He has to get the necessary documents pertaining to the town planning from local authorities. And then once the work commenced, he needs to visit the site, supervise the work and do all other work needed to complete the construction. Architects are also sought for their technical advice to plan, improve or beautify landscapes (that is the field of landscape architecture), highways, entire towns, estates, historical monuments, etc
What is JAMB UTME subject combination (subjects needed) for Architecture?
You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just an advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for Architecture are
- Mathematics If you don’t have credit in Mathematics, Click here fast
- Choose any of Chemistry, Geography, Art, Biology and Economics
What is Direct Entry requirement (that is the required A-level result you need) to study Architecture?
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Mathematics or Physics and Chemistry, Geography or Fine Arts.
(ii) ND/HND upper credits in relevant field.
The aim in the first year of study is to develop the perceptive and creative faculties, impart the methodology of architectural design, and provide a grounding in the natural sciences, technology and the humanities and social sciences. This basic knowledge is expanded in the second and third years. Six months of work experience in the field of architecture must also be completed to obtain a Bachelor’s degree.
As you can see from the above requirement, anyone with credit in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry can apply for admission to study architecture at the graduate level in Universities offering the course. Architecture course outline usually includes the history of architecture, practical mathematics, design and construction, town planning, economics, some sociology, environmental science, and professional practice. Computers are an important part of the training in architecture.
Further specialization in this field can be in industrial design, urban design, landscape architecture, town planning/ urban planning, environmental planning, building engineering and management, transport planning.
Just a reminder: Everything you have read so far is a general requirement, it is expedient that you also check the special consideration for this course below. If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider taking a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice.
So now that you know the compulsory WAEC, JAMB subject combination for Architecture, (which is also applicable to NECO and GCE) as well as A-level result/certificate. Before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
See useful guides on how to choose a course and university
List of Nigeria Universities offering Architecture include
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano Click to read conditions
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Covenant University Ota
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Crescent University (CUAB) Click to read conditions
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure Click to read conditions
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) Click to read conditions
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) Click to read conditions
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU) Click to read conditions
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Obafemi Awolowo University,Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY).
Where can I work with a Degree in Architecture?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Architecture. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating.
Most of the jobs in architecture come up in government organizations such as Public Works Department, the Archaeological Department, Ministry of Defense, National Building Organization, Town and Country Planning Organization, Departments of Railways, Public Sector Undertakings, Housing and Urban Development, etc. While some other organizations or bodies like State Departments, Housing Boards, Local Bodies for construction works, Builders, Architecture Firms, Consultants, etc. also hire architects.
Architects working independently have ample scope in terms of earning. However, the inherent hazard with independent practice is that the professional undergoes lots of work as he alone has to plan details of sizes, specification and estimates of the cost of the structure, etc. Moreover, he requires good models and graphics as there would not be any other person to assist him which is the case when he works with some construction company. Specialization works well for better prospects in architecture as it is a matter of requirement.
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Architecture have been listed above. Yet, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar.