Last Updated on
O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Architecture 2020/2021; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
|Qualification||B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech., B. Arc|
|Duration||4 – 5 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Architecture related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
You must be a science student to study Architecture in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), s, Special consideration (waivers) and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Architecture
The subjects needed to study Architecture in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Architecture must include
- English Language
- Any of Fine Art, Geography or Wood Work, Biology, Economics, Tech. Draw, Further. Mathematics., Introduction to Building Construction, Bricklaying/Block laying, Concreting, Wall, Floors and Ceiling Finishing, Joinery, Carpentry, Decorative Painting, Lining, Sign & Design, Wall Hanging, Colour Mixing/Matching & Glazing, Ceramics, Graphics Design, Graphic Printing, Basic Electricity
- A trade subject
Now you know the subject required in waec to become an Architect, Let’s consider what this course is all about. It is good you know something about Architecture before you consider it has your choice course. Architecture is concerned with the design and construction of buildings in their sociological, technical and environmental contexts.
There is increasing recognition of architecture as one of the top intellectual disciplines, an art form, and a technical profession intimately linked with the single largest sector of investment in the economy. Architects are called upon to design and execute building projects and resolve other issues related to the man-made environment in a variety of settings.
More so, Architects are the licensed professionals trained in the art and science of building. They are involved in all the phases of the construction of a building i.e. the functional, safety, economical and have to satisfy the needs of its occupants. They are responsible for the planning, designing and supervision of construction works for houses, office buildings, skyscrapers, landscapes, and even entire cities.
But know this – It is a challenging job for an architect to produce an artistically pleasing design within the budget specified by the Clients. He needs to start from scratch by producing the sketches of the building, its floor plans elevation etc. And once it is approved he needs to work on the estimation of the project.
He has to get the necessary documents pertaining to the town planning from local authorities. And then once the work commenced, he needs to visit the site, supervise the work and do all other work needed to complete the construction. Architects are also sought for their technical advice to plan, improve or beautify landscapes (that is the field of landscape architecture), highways, entire towns, estates, historical monuments, etc
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Architecture
Knowing JAMB subjects for Architecture is not enough. You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just a piece of advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree.
JAMB UTME subject combinations (subjects to write in jamb) to study Architecture are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Architecture
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Mathematics or Physics and Chemistry, Geography or Fine Arts.
(ii) ND/HND upper credits in relevant field.
The aim in the first year of study is to develop the perceptive and creative faculties, impart the methodology of architectural design, and provide a grounding in the natural sciences, technology and the humanities and social sciences. This basic knowledge is expanded in the second and third years. Six months of work experience in the field of architecture must also be completed to obtain a Bachelor’s degree.
As you can see from the above requirement, anyone with credit in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry can apply for admission to study architecture at the graduate level in Universities offering the course. Architecture course outline usually includes the history of architecture, practical mathematics, design and construction, town planning, economics, some sociology, environmental science, and professional practice. Computers are an important part of the training in architecture.
Further specialization in this field can be in industrial design, urban design, landscape architecture, town planning/ urban planning, environmental planning, building engineering and management, transport planning.
If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with this admission requirement that is the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider other Architecture similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
These are the list of Universities offering Architecture in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Covenant University Ota
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY).
Cut-off Mark for Architecture course
The cut-off mark for Architecture varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Architecture is a good course and you can also check the top best engineering courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Architecture is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Architecture is a four to five years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Architecture is under Faculty of Agriculture but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Architecture?
No! Architecture is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art student. But if you have required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subjects combination for Architecture is through GCE.
Where can I work with a Degree in Architecture in Nigeria
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Architecture. Most of the jobs in architecture come up in government organizations such as Public Works Department, the Archaeological Department, Ministry of Defense, National Building Organization, Town and Country Planning Organization, Departments of Railways, Public Sector Undertakings, Housing and Urban Development, etc. While some other organizations or bodies like State Departments, Housing Boards, Local Bodies for construction works, Builders, Architecture Firms, Consultants, etc. also hire architects.
Architects working independently have ample scope in terms of earning. However, the inherent hazard with independent practice is that the professional undergoes lots of work as he alone has to plan details of sizes, specification and estimates of the cost of the structure, etc.
Moreover, he requires good models and graphics as there would not be any other person to assist him which is the case when he works with some construction company. Specialization works well for better prospects in architecture as it is a matter of requirement.
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Architecture have been listed above. Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar..
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Building
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Industrial Design
- Requirements to Study Building Technology – Under Engineering
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Urban and Regional Planning
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Quantity Surveying
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Estate Management
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Fine and Applied Arts
- WAEC and JAMB Subject for Geography – Under Engineering
- Study Geography and Meteorology – Under Engineering
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Fine and Industrial Arts