This page contains 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Biology, including the list of Nigerian universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more.
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course?||Science student|
|Number of universities||58|
Is Biology a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Biology is a good course in Nigeria with limited job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. A Biologist typically earns between ₦210,000 and ₦400,000 net per month
Biology is competitive and quite popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 58 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Biology, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Biology and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combinations For Biology
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Biology in Nigeria are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Further Mathematics
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Biology, don’t give up. You should consider other Biology similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Biology
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score and your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 200 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Biology. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Biology are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Biology
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Biology, you are expected to have;
- Two A, level passes from Chemistry, Biology, Botany/Zoology.
- NCE accepted with at least merit level pass
List of Universities offering Biology in Nigeria
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State (Human Biology)
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State
- Augustine University
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Covenant University Ota
- Christland University
- Federal University of Technology, Akure with option in Storage Technology
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Sokoto State University
- Summit University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State.
Cut-off Mark for Biology course
As you can see, more than one University offers Biology. This means the cut-off mark for Biology will vary. However, from aggregate, the cut off mark is 200. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher.
Biology is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study a Biology degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Biology for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Biology is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Biology is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may also be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Biology?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study Biology at the university because it is a pure science course which needs a good background in science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result.
What is Biology Course all about?
Biology is the study of life in all its various forms, from simple viruses to complex organisms such as human beings. You explore the science that underpins developments in areas such as biotechnology, genetics and treatments for disease.
This BSc programme provides a broad survey of the various biological disciplines, including biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, infection and immunity, evolution, genetics, microbiology and the physiology of animals and plants. You learn how biology influences our everyday lives and drives social change
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Special Consideration (waiver) to study Biology
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS), Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State and Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU) – Same as in Microbiology
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST) accepts a credit in Agricultural Science.
- Gombe State University, Gombe accepts pass in Physics.
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo and Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU) requires five credits to include English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and any other Science subject in not more than two sittings
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU) only accepts Physics or Geography as the other Science subject.
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja accepts English Language, Mathematics, Biology and any other two Science subjects.
- Federal University of Technology, Akure requires five credit passes in English language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science
- Federal University of Technology, Minna – Same as Geology.
- Evangel University, Akaeze – Same as in Microbiology.
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi requires credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology and any two of Chemistry, Agricultural Science, Geography and Physics at not more than two sittings.
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada accepts five credit passes at SSCE (or its equivalent) in English, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and any other Science subject.
Further reading on Biology: