Last updated on March 1, 2021 by The Counselor
This page contains official 2020/2021 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Biology, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this couse||Science student|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Biology related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Biology. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background science subjects for you to study Biology in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Biology
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Biology in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Biology must include:
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Biology. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Biology, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Biology
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Biology that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Biology. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree!..
- Physics or Mathematics.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Biology
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Biology, you are expected to have;
(i) Two A, level passes from Chemistry, Biology, Botany/Zoology.
(ii) NCE accepted with at least merit level pass
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Biology, don’t give up. You should consider other Biology similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Biology in Nigeria
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State (Human Biology)
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State
- Augustine University
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Covenant University Ota
- Federal University of Technology, Akure with option in Storage Technology
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Sokoto State University
- Summit University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State.
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Biology. Listen, I don’t encourage such but if you’re bent on knowing the best universities or top universities to study Biology in Nigeria, Check here
Course description: Biology is the study of life in all its various forms, from simple viruses to complex organisms such as human beings. You explore the science that underpins developments in areas such as biotechnology, genetics and treatments for disease.
This BSc programme provides a broad survey of the various biological disciplines, including biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, infection and immunity, evolution, genetics, microbiology and the physiology of animals and plants. You learn how biology influences our everyday lives and drives social change
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Biology course
As you can see, more than one University offers Biology. This means the cut-off mark for Biology varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Biology is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Biology is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Biology at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Biology for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Biology is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Biology is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Biology?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot Biology at the university because it is a pure science course which need a good background on science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Biology is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Biology in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Biology below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Biology had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Fatherprada tries as much as possible to provide you with correct and up to date information. If you find any pieces of misinformation or require additional details please feel free to use the comment. Follow Fatherprada on Facebook for Guides