Last updated on August 27th, 2018 at 02:19 am
O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Physics; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
- JAMB officially classified this course under Faculty/School/College of Science .
- Probable Degree type – (B.Sc. & B. Tech)
The admission requirement to study Physics in Nigeria Universities includes one or a combination of ‘O’ level results or A-level result if you’re going through Direct Entry. This page will literally answer questions such as WAEC subject combination, JAMB UTME subject combination, Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers), where you can work with the degree and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. If you’re still having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that may be of benefit to you.
What is O level/WAEC subject combination (requirement) for Physics?
The subjects needed to study Physics in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement that is the compulsory WAEC subject combination for Physics must include
- English Language
- Any other Science subject from Further mathematics and Biology or Agricultural Science
Before you consider the JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for this course, it is good you know what this course is all about. Physics is one of the most crucial sciences for making sense of the world around us. From the tiniest particle moving around in the nucleus of an atom to infinitely vast galaxies, its scope covers the entire universe. Observing and describing the components of matter, their properties, and the forces which govern them and their effects in a quantitative and conceptual manner is what drives physicists. But physics is also about discovering new natural phenomena and predicting the behaviour of previously unknown components. With the help of mathematics, physicists look to develop models which enable what is hidden in the boundaries of time, space, and matter to be explained.
Along with mathematics, physics is one of the bases of any engineering training. It consequently plays a key role in improving quality of life. Many fields such as materials science, microtechnology, and biotechnology increasingly depend on the understanding of physical phenomena. The development of new energy sources is also closely tied into fundamental research in physics, using and developing modern experimental means and the most advanced theoretical knowledge.
The general goal of the physics course is to prepare students for scientific careers in industry, government, and education, as well as for advanced study in physics or other disciplines, such as engineering, architecture, medicine, material science, or medicine and health. The physics program aids students in developing
- A broad foundation in the theory, principles, and history of physics.
- Skills in analytical reasoning and problem solving.
- Necessary laboratory, safety, and literature skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including notebook keeping, graphing, writing laboratory reports, using computers for data analysis, and conducting research presentations.
- An understanding of the impact of physics on industries, society, the environment, and an appreciation of the role and responsibilities of physicists in today’s world
What is JAMB UTME subject combination (subjects needed) for Physics?
You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just an advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination (subject to write in jamb) for Physics are
- Chemistry or Biology
What is Direct Entry requirement (that is the required A-level result you need) to study Physics?
NCE/Two ‘A’ level A’ level passes in Physics and Mathematics or Chemistry.
Just a reminder: Everything you have read so far is a general requirement, it is expedient that you also check the special consideration for this course below. If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider taking a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice.
So now that you know the compulsory WAEC, JAMB subject combination for Physics, (which is also applicable to NECO and GCE) as well as A-level result/certificate.
Before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
See useful guides on how to choose a course and university
List of Nigeria Universities offering Physics are
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma with options in Geophysics
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University Click to read conditions
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano Click to read conditions
- Baze University
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) (with options in): (i) Applied Nuclear Science (ii) Industrial Physics (iii) Medical Physics (iv) Meteorology & Atmospheric Physics Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE) (with options in): (i) Theoretical Physics (ii) Physical/Electronics (iii) Physical and Energy Studies
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City Click to read conditions
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST) with options in Electronics, Applied Geophysics, Pure Physics.
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Federal University of Technology, Akure With options in (i) Energy (ii) Electronics & Solid State Physics
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH) (with options in: (i) Physics; (ii) Electronics; (iii) Solid State.
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Chrisland University
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) with options in: i) Applied Geophysics; ii) Elect/Elect.
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi (with options in: Physics and Industrial Physics
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye with options in: Geophysics, Medical Health Physics and Physics with Electronics
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) Click to read conditions
- Igbinedion University Okada (offers the course as Physics and Industrial Physics)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Ekiti State University
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB) Click to read conditions
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI) Click to read conditions
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) Click to read conditions
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Sule Lamido University Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) Click to read conditions
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU) Click to read conditions
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU) Click to read conditions
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Mountain Top University
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA) Click to read conditions
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University,Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil Click to read conditions
- Renaissance University Enugu
- Ritman University Ikot Ekpene
- Akwa Ibom, Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa Click to read conditions
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University
- Umudi, Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
Where can I work with a Degree in Physics?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Physics. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating. Career opportunities will be added soon…. so very soon
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Physics have been listed above. Yet, some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar.