Last Updated on
This page contains official 2019/2020 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Physics, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this couse||Science student|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Physics related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Physics. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background science subjects for you to study Physics in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Physics
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Physics in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Physics must include:
- English Language
- Any other Science subject from Further mathematics and Biology or Agricultural Science
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Physics. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Physics, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Physics
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Physics that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Physics. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Physics must include:
- Chemistry or Biology
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Physics
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Physics, you are expected to have NCE/Two ‘A’ level A’ level passes in Physics and Mathematics or Chemistry.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Physics, don’t give up. You should consider other Physics similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Physics in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma with options in Geophysics
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Chrisland University
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye with options in: Geophysics, Medical Health Physics and Physics
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Igbinedion University Okada (offers the course as Physics and Industrial Physics)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Ekiti State University
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Sule Lamido University Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Mountain Top University
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Renaissance University Enugu
- Ritman University Ikot Ekpene
- Akwa Ibom, Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University
- Umudi, Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Physics. Listen, there is no such thing as best universities or top universities to study Physics in Nigeria. Nobody has that information. Although recommendations are allowed, don’t be deceived by the word “best”. Read why you should stop looking for the best University in Nigeria
Course description: Physics is one of the most crucial sciences for making sense of the world around us. From the tiniest particle moving around in the nucleus of an atom to infinitely vast galaxies, its scope covers the entire universe. Observing and describing the components of matter, their properties, and the forces which govern them and their effects in a quantitative and conceptual manner is what drives physicists.
But physics is also about discovering new natural phenomena and predicting the behaviour of previously unknown components. With the help of mathematics, physicists look to develop models which enable what is hidden in the boundaries of time, space, and matter to be explained.
Along with mathematics, physics is one of the bases of any engineering training. It consequently plays a key role in improving quality of life. Many fields such as materials science, microtechnology, and biotechnology increasingly depend on the understanding of physical phenomena. The development of new energy sources is also closely tied into fundamental research in physics, using and developing modern experimental means and the most advanced theoretical knowledge.
The general goal of the physics course is to prepare students for scientific careers in industry, government, and education, as well as for advanced study in physics or other disciplines, such as engineering, architecture, medicine, material science, or medicine and health. The physics program aids students in developing
- A broad foundation in the theory, principles, and history of physics.
- Skills in analytical reasoning and problem solving.
- Necessary laboratory, safety, and literature skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including notebook keeping, graphing, writing laboratory reports, using computers for data analysis, and conducting research presentations.
- An understanding of the impact of physics on industries, society, the environment, and an appreciation of the role and responsibilities of physicists in today’s world
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Physics course
As you can see, more than one University offers Physics. This means the cut-off mark for Physics varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Physics is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Physics is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Physics at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Physics for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Physics is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Physics is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Physics?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot Physics at the university because it is a pure science course which need a good background on science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Physics is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Physics in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Physics below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Physics had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Follow Fatherprada on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Industrial Mathematics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Zoology
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Applied Geophysics
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Industrial Physics
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Biological Science
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Applied Botany
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Combinations for Geology
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Geography – Under Science
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Industrial Chemistry
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Statistics
Enebeli Ifeanyi is a graduate of Information science and a Counselor at Fatherprada’s blog. He loves Poetry and Philosophy but hates Mathematics. A reader by day and a writer by night. He hails from Ezionum in Ukwuani L.G.A.