This page contains 2023 WAEC and JAMB subject combinations (admission requirements) for Zoology, including the list of Nigerian universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more.
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course?||Science student|
|Number of universities||55|
Is Zoology a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Zoology is a good course in Nigeria with limited job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. Zoology graduates typically earn between ₦100,000 and ₦450,000 net per month.
Zoology is not competitive and quite popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 55 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Zoology, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Zoology and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combinations For Zoology
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Zoology in Nigeria are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Any Nigerian Language
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Zoology, don’t give up. You should consider other Zoology similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Zoology
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score and your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 200 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Zoology. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Zoology are:
This is the list of Universities offering Zoology in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Ekiti State University
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi,
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State.
Cut-off Mark for Zoology
As you can see, more than one University offers Zoology. This means the cut-off mark for Zoology will vary. However, from aggregate, the cut off mark is 200. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher.
Zoology is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study a Zoology degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Zoology for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Zoology is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Zoology is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may also be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Can a commercial or an art student study Zoology?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study Zoology at the university because it is a pure science course which needs a good background in science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result.
Special Consideration (waiver) to study Zoology.
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU) requires chemistry plus at least a pass in Physics.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba requires a credit pass in Chemistry as the fifth subject.
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) – As in Plant and Zoology. Requires at least a pass in Physics
- Igbinedion University Okada requires O’ level credit in English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry plus Physics or any other Science Subject.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) requires five (5) O’ level credit passes obtained at not more than two sittings including Biology, English Language, Zoology or Physics and Chemistry at School Certificate or its equivalent.
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) requires Physics and Chemistry.
- Bauchi State University, Gadau, University of Benin (UNIBEN) and University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) require credit passes in English Language, Zoology, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. University of Benin (UNIBEN) accepts credit pass in any Science Subject in lieu of Physics.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU) requires Physics or Chemistry.
- University of Calabar (UNICAL) requires Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. UUDIKE accepts a pass in English.
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) accepts a pass in English Language with a credit pass in Sciences.
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST) requires Chemistry.
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) accepts Health/Science in lieu of Biology and does not require Zoology.
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike same as in Botany.
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) accepts a pass in English Language.
- University of Ibadan (UI) requires 5 or 6 credit passes at one or two sittings to include, English Language, Zoology, Biology, Chemistry and any other Science subject except Agric. Science.
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) requires credit passes in Chemistry and Physics/Geography.
- University of Uyo requires a Credit passes in Zoology and Chemistry and may accept P.7 in Physics.
- Renaissance University, Enugu requires geography.
- Benue State University, MakurdiST requires credit in Chemistry and accepts credit in Agriculture in lieu of Biology.
- Kogi State University Anyigba and Abia State University, Uturu require five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Zoology, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA) requires credit passes in English Language, Physics, Zoology, Chemistry and Biology/Agricultural Science.
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) requires credit passes in Chemistry and Physics as the other two science subjects
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State requires five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, either Biology or Agriculture and Geography.
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH) – same as in Fisheries.
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) – Same as in Zoology.
- MAKRUDI – Same as in Biochemistry.
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) requires five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Zoology, Biology, Chemistry and one other Science subject.
- Benue State University, Makurdi accepts passes in five (5) prescribed subjects in Preliminary Science of Benue State University, Makurdi in addition to a minimum UTME score.
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa – Same as Microbiology.
Further Reading on Zoology:
- Top Career Opportunities for Zoology Graduates
- Courses Related to Zoology
- List of Courses Under Zoology